Disney's Christopher Robin

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Disney's Christopher Robin

Post by Dacey » April 2nd, 2015, 2:57 pm

I'm neither angry nor surprised. Just amazed this didn't happen sooner.

http://deadline.com/2015/04/winnie-the- ... 201392427/
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Live-action Winnie the Pooh on the way

Post by Ben » April 2nd, 2015, 5:09 pm

Well this sounds more like a "Saving Mr Milne" or "Saving Mr Robin" than a straight translation of the Pooh Corner stories with a CG Pooh, Tigger and the rest.

And, just like Mr Banks wasn't really about the making of Mary Poppins, this could well surprise in terms of story, such as if it's about an uptight adult who finds out he was the inspiration for the stories and rediscovers the child within. Lots of emotion, layers and weight in there.

With Mr Banks' success, it was more a matter of time that we'd see more films of the same ilk, rather than a live/CG Pooh feature. This obviously isn't going for the same audience as My Friends Tigger And Pooh...!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 2nd, 2015, 6:05 pm

That's actually quite possibly what they'll be going for.

If not, though, this does sound a lot like that Shane Acker Thomas the Tank Engine movie that as far as I know was stopped in its tracks (ha ha!).
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LastActionHero » June 12th, 2015, 12:19 pm

Live action? This trend has never succeeded in past.
Instead of that, they should make a movie like The Pink Panther.
A good CFO can develop actionable data to inform decision-making - Maureen O'Connell Scholastic

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 3rd, 2018, 2:52 pm

Here's the voice cast for the upcoming Christopher movie.

In a nutshell, looks like they practically cleaned house from the last Pooh movie. Of course this is its own thing and not a continuation, so there's that. Whatever the case, can't say I'm too crushed. Wasn't really fond of anyone honestly, the movie itself didn't help matters much either. Disappointed Jim's not returning as Tigger, kinda pointless to get someone else.

And of course you know I have to talk about Piglet. I'm actually surprised (and HAPPY) he's getting a new voice. After losing John, Travis Oates has essentially been the official replacement. Big shoes to fill and believe me I've tried to give the benefit of the doubt. I actually, somewhat, liked his voice in the 2011 flick. It wasn't as stuffy and sounded higher pitched, even had a hint of John's squeak. Thing is though, recently there was a crossover of Pooh and Doc Mcstuffins. I was a little hesitant but figured with some time passing the voice would be even more fine-tune. How wrong was I. :( If anything, Travis sounded almost as bad as when he first started. Made all the more apparent because they had Piglet interacting with Lammy. Just saddening. That's why I'm glad he's absent here. So many years and still inconsistent? Even if it's just a one time deal, (and it probably will be) I look forward to hearing someone else give it a shot.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 4th, 2018, 7:58 pm

But who is voicing Roo?? The most important character in the series LOL

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 5th, 2018, 3:24 pm

It's even more funny considering a few years ago it sure felt like that. ;)

According to this, Wyatt Dean Hall will be voicing Roo. He will actually be returning from the 2011 movie. Didn't mind him, so yay! The article is a little outdated since it list Kristen Anderson-Lopez as Kanga, while the recent one I posted above list Sophie Okonedo. Yet again, I welcome the change. Kristen's rendition was just generic. Didn't have that mature, motherly presence. Not much of a sound-alike either. I hope Sophie is at least a little bit better.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 5th, 2018, 5:58 pm

Daniel wrote:It's even more funny considering a few years ago it sure felt like that. ;)
Yes, "The Heffalump Movie" WAS pretty much considered the edge of the cliff at the studio, before the '11 Lasseter do-over.
But then, they didn't have any other characters to grab that Preschool demographic.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 5th, 2018, 7:26 pm

EricJ wrote:"The Heffalump Movie" WAS pretty much considered the edge of the cliff at the studio,
And then they tipped right off the side wth Pooh's Heffalump Halloween Movie... :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 5th, 2018, 8:51 pm

Ben wrote:And then they tipped right off the side wth Pooh's Heffalump Halloween Movie... :roll:
Well, that's direct-video, that doesn't count--Although if we were, that's where you could see the new preschool-cable demographic Roo-centrism take hold with "Springtime With Roo".
(Basically "An Easter Carol", with Rabbit as Scrooge and Roo as Bob Cratchit...Think we were well off of the original Milne by that point.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 6th, 2018, 7:51 am

(It got theatrical around the world, or at least limited screenings, as in the UK, where I couldn’t believe it showed up at our local.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 6th, 2018, 8:55 am

It's got a Star Wars actor, a Marvel star... and four Doctor Who actors. Maybe the Mouse is looking to acquire a new franchise?

;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 7th, 2018, 2:24 pm

Springtime With Roo was pretty much a Rabbit movie, though. Roo was more of a secondary character (and also more of a Tiny Tim than a Bob Cratchit).

But I don't get re-casting Eeyore again, especially since Peter Cullen is alive and well and his voice, at least going by the Transformers movies, is still in perfectly good condition to play the character.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 8th, 2018, 2:09 pm

Peter actually got to reprise Eeyore just recently in that Doc episode. He has not lost the voice. Sounded as great as ever. It was nice. I'm sad but not surprised he's not in this. Don't have much hope for Brad. I try picturing him and think he might be too loud. Time will tell.

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Disney's Christopher Robin

Post by Dacey » March 5th, 2019, 11:32 pm

The movie's been out on disc for a while, but giving this film a viewing at my house tonight, and I discovered there's a Richard Sherman cameo during the end credits. Not only that, but the credits have two original songs by him, and he performs both!

It didn't get much press at the time of the film's release, I don't think, but it works perfectly as a way to cap off the movie.