Now FANTASIA going live-action, TANGLED comes to TV

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Now FANTASIA going live-action, TANGLED comes to TV

Post by Ben » June 3rd, 2015, 12:56 pm

After the news that Reece Withersppon will be Tinkerbell in a new film - as well as reports that Sister Act is to get a remake/reboot (it's unclear if this is "new" or a third movie) - THR is reporting that Fantasia's Night On Bald Mountain sequence is to form the basis for a live-action film...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... nce-799554

On top of that, it seems Tangled (itself once to feature Witherspoon as a voice) is to become Disney's next fairytale TV property, although it will remain animated:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... ies-799680

Set between the movie and the follow-up short, the best news is that a *lot* of the movie crew is aboard the new take, from Menken & Slater, Lisa Keane and the original voice cast.

Wow...what's next: a Dexter Riley college comedy series on ABC? (Wait - that could actually work!)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Now FANTASIA going live-action, TANGLED comes to TV

Post by EricJ » June 3rd, 2015, 2:47 pm

Ben wrote:THR is reporting that Fantasia's Night On Bald Mountain sequence is to form the basis for a live-action film...
Yeah, that's what they said about Nic Cage in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice".
(In which we get two completely isolated minutes of "Uh...oh yeah, there's some brooms, too!" inserted out of the blue into an otherwise 99% unrelated story, because Jerry Bruckheimer still had his deal with Disney.)

As for Tangled, looks like they're going for the same cable-kitschy "Stylized" look that constitutes most of Disney/X-D these days (Phineas & Ferb, The 7D, Gravity Falls). Yes, I know they've officially adopted that 50's look when adapting 3D characters into 2D--like in their children's-books for the Pixar and CGI Disney movies--but still.
Yep, it's been a long time since the Aladdin, Hercules and Little Mermaid series had "real" Disney animation for TV. :(
Last edited by EricJ on June 3rd, 2015, 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » June 3rd, 2015, 3:43 pm

Disney already kinda did a live-action treatment of "Night on Bald Mountain / Ave Maria"..

(kinda) :mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 3rd, 2015, 8:17 pm

I just knew someone (and probably Droo for that matter!) would bring that up!

I remember reviews of The Black Hole that, even at the time of that film's release in '79, remarked on the similarities between the two!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » June 4th, 2015, 12:06 pm

Regarding the Tangled TV series --
The Hollywood Reporter wrote:Set between the events of the feature film and the start of the 2012 short film Tangled Ever After
-- would seem to imply that Rapunzel should be sporting her cropped brunette 'do' .. but the accompanying 'teaser' image quite clearly portrays her with long blonde locks..?! :? ?!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 4th, 2015, 1:45 pm

I'm pretty sure that teaser image isn't really going to represent the actual show (meaning Rapunzel should definitely have her haircut). And it's no surprise they were able to get Moore, since she already voices the lead character on Disney's Sheriff Callie's Wild West.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » June 5th, 2015, 12:13 am

I want to see the Fugue section from Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor remade in live action.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 5th, 2015, 10:13 am

With music remixed by the Fugue-ees...? :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jpcase » June 5th, 2015, 10:18 am

Well, the Genie got his arm cuffs back in the Aladdin sequels and TV show, so it's not like this would be the first time that Disney has reneged upon a design change. A short film is one thing, but it would kind of surprise me if the TV show doesn't give Rapunzel her original look back. Better for marketability purposes and all that.

Then again, I'm not sure if substantial crew members have ever been involved with one of these shows before, so I guess that should be taken as a sign that Disney is approaching things differently now.

I had hoped that the shutting down of Direct-to-DVD sequels would extend to TV shows as well, but ho-hum.

I'm mostly curious about whether Disney will bother conforming the new Lion King material with the previous cheapquels, or if they're going to act like those never happened.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 5th, 2015, 3:23 pm

Jpcase wrote:I had hoped that the shutting down of Direct-to-DVD sequels would extend to TV shows as well, but ho-hum
Thought the Lasseter Treaty only extended as far as any direct story sequelizations claiming to be actual "movies"--or even shown in theaters, like Return to Neverland and Jungle Book 2 after they let their popularity go to their heads (and which even Eisner objected to)--and that if sequels are classified as "character marketing", they must be to market the characters in their own little universe, and not any actual canon directly affecting the movie stories themselves.
(Ie., they can make Tinkerbell movies, but Hook and Peter Pan can't be mentioned by name.)

Both of which lets a series off the hook, like the Hercules and Aladdin series, if they don't set out to rewrite their movie canons.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 5th, 2015, 4:48 pm

Jpcase wrote:I'm mostly curious about whether Disney will bother conforming the new Lion King material with the previous cheapquels, or if they're going to act like those never happened.
According to this article from a year ago, Kiara will be in the new show.

That makes me happy since I like the sequels so it's cool they're not ignoring canon. :)
EricJ wrote:(Ie., they can make Tinkerbell movies, but Hook and Peter Pan can't be mentioned by name.)
What about appear? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 5th, 2015, 5:17 pm

Hey Dan! Good to see you! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!