Lost Oswald short Hungry Hobos getting released

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Lost Oswald short Hungry Hobos getting released

Post by Dan » January 21st, 2016, 1:43 am

Now there's an even greater reason for me to get the Snow White blu ray coming out February because purchase of the film (either on disc or digital download) will include the rediscovered Oswald short "Hungry Hobos" (original spelling was Hoboes). Disney, through their Movies Anywhere account on YouTube, posted a small clip today (Jan. 20).

The short had been found in 2011 in the film archives of the late John Huntley in England and Disney acquired it through auction for $31,250. Following a year-long digital restoration process, Disney showed it for the first time at the Telluride Film Festival in 2012.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Lost Oswald short Hungry Hobos getting released

Post by Ben » January 21st, 2016, 2:35 am

Great! Fantastic that this is on the physical Blu-ray...the press release made this look like a Disney Movies Not-Anywhere exclusive.

And...as we've seen in other issues of early Disney work, I love how it wasn't all "started by a mouse" when Peg Leg Pete predates any and all of the established Disney cartoon characters...though he probably isn't quite as cute and marketable as a mouse or a rabbit...! ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » January 21st, 2016, 6:29 am

After you mentioned that, Ben, I went snooping around. I can't say for certain it will or will not be on the disc as the wording from what I've seen merely notes that the short is "unlocked with digital purchase". That tells me that the short comes with the movie, and are merely trying to attract more digital sales. *shrugs*

It will be annoying if it's a DMA exclusive, but I'll take it for now just cause we're getting one of the rediscovered Oswald shorts in the first place. I'll be really happy if they get all the shorts, including the rediscovered ones, together onto blu...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 21st, 2016, 4:57 pm

I had hope when the Snow White cover came up at the end, but i guess you could be right. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » March 17th, 2023, 8:58 pm

Speaking of oswald found this on youtube. This is the woody woodpecker version of oswald right?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 18th, 2023, 4:54 am

Just in time for St Paddy's! :)

The "Woody Woodpecker version"…yeah, that’s one way of putting it! Yes, Oswald got a total makeover in the later Walter Lantz cartunes. :)