Wreck-It Ralph 2

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Wreck-It Ralph 2

Post by James » June 30th, 2016, 12:56 pm

Disney announced Wreck-It Ralph 2 today, coming out March 9, 2018 -- a date formerly held by Gigantic which now moves back to November 21, 2018. They didn't mention it but I believe this will be only the second sequel from WDAS (not counting Fantasia 2000). Based on the image released with it, it looks like we might be moving from arcade machines to the internet or computers?
wreck-it-ralph-2.jpg
wreck-it-ralph-2.jpg (209.46 KiB) Viewed 14588 times

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Wreck-It Ralph 2

Post by droosan » June 30th, 2016, 1:40 pm

I wonder whether The BFG may have played any role in the decision to bump Gigantic forward. :|

And I thought Winnie the Pooh was WDAS' second official sequel. Or does that not count either, since The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh was technically a 'package' feature stitched together from existing featurettes..?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 30th, 2016, 2:00 pm

And Three Caballeros probably doesn't count as a "sequel" either, even though Donald meets a character he was introduced to in an earlier film.

It's always a bad move to put two big animateds in one year--Treasure Planet and Good Dino spring to mind--even if the first one "doesn't count" for being a sequel. The first one in line usually gets a little more success than they expected, and the second one suffers for it.

(And how many heard about Disney's "big announcement coming", and thought "Yeah, yeah, we know, Frozen 2 and get it the freakin' heck OVER with! :x "?)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 30th, 2016, 2:16 pm

droosan wrote:I wonder whether The BFG may have played any role in the decision to bump Gigantic forward.
I doubt it. Seems more likely that Disney's noticed that their musicals seem to do well during the holiday season (when people are really in the mood for that sort of thing).
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » June 30th, 2016, 2:24 pm

EricJ wrote:
It's always a bad move to put two big animateds in one year--Treasure Planet and Good Dino spring to mind--even if the first one "doesn't count" for being a sequel. The first one in line usually gets a little more success than they expected, and the second one suffers for it.
Tell that to Kung Fu Panda and Madagascar 2, both of which did gangbusters at the box office.

The Good Dinosaur had other factors (namely, more restrained critical response and being released in close proximity to The Force Awakens) that hurt it, being the second Pixar film in a year was the last thing that hurt it.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 30th, 2016, 3:43 pm

Forgot Winnie!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 30th, 2016, 5:56 pm

It's okay, James. Most people did.

;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 30th, 2016, 6:25 pm

LotsoA113 wrote:
The Good Dinosaur had other factors (namely, more restrained critical response and being released in close proximity to The Force Awakens) that hurt it, being the second Pixar film in a year was the last thing that hurt it.
Good Dinosaur was rushed out to make good on their promise that it would be out for 2015, but even if they thought the last-minute patchup worked, no one could have predicted having to follow Inside Out.

When there's two movies in one year--barring "rush jobs" like the announcement on this one--it's usually because one of the two is considered "expendable", and they don't have to worry if one bites the dust.
Disney had all its hopes that Fantasia 2000 would continue its sellout run in the cineplexes, but thought Emperor's New Groove was the unmarketable troubled-project "disaster" that they had to bury in a hidden Christmas week so that no one would notice.
And they had no idea how to market Lilo & Stitch for the summer, but don't worry, Treasure Planet would be the big November epic classic.

(And I don't think Gigantic's a "disaster" yet to be buried as the year's B-feature, but suddenly turning it into a Broadway-singing Frozen clone just to cash in on Jennifer Lee-mania certainly can't have helped it.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 30th, 2016, 8:30 pm

I wouldn't read too much into the "two-on-one-year" thing. They have nothing coming out next year. Looks more like a scheduling issue in that one film wasn't ready when expected.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 1st, 2016, 4:27 am

Eric talks a lot of crud, James, as you know.

Just because they only just announced Ralph 2 for less than two years away doesn't mean it's a rush job...they've obviously been working quietly on this for a while already and the film is likely up on boards and just waiting for voice recording (if that hasn't been done or partially done already) and animation, which is usually a year-long process. So plenty of time, leaving Gigantic more room to develop.

My concern is that now Disney is following Pixar's lead and becoming more of a sequel factory after all. Frozen, Ralph, a probable Zootopia...it's like the "one time only" magic has gone and the only difference being that these are going to theaters as opposed to video, but it's the same result.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 1st, 2016, 9:18 am

Ben wrote:...My concern is that now Disney is following Pixar's lead and becoming more of a sequel factory after all. Frozen, Ralph, a probable Zootopia...
I wouldn't say it's Disney following Pixar's lead. I'd say it's Pixar and Disney following Hollywood's lead. They resisted it for a very long time but it's hard to leave money on the table, as they say. You could put the blame solely on us as an audience actually. If we stopped spending millions of dollars on tickets for Minions, Ice Age 4, Madagascar 3, etc.... the studios would stop making them

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 1st, 2016, 9:32 am

True dat.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 1st, 2016, 4:49 pm

Ben wrote:My concern is that now Disney is following Pixar's lead and becoming more of a sequel factory after all. Frozen, Ralph, a probable Zootopia...it's like the "one time only" magic has gone and the only difference being that these are going to theaters as opposed to video, but it's the same result.
Most of that is Bob Iger, who's caught the bug for sequels as "Character Marketing", as Disney classifies them. (Which was the dodge Eisner used to create Circle 7.)
He announced Cars 2 when analysts were piling on the first movie as "flopping", and when they all picked on Princess & the Frog, he said that Disney would be happily marketing Tiana as a permanent character, so there, nyeh. It was just a little persecuted defense mechanism, but that's how it STARTED for him...

So far, they've talked great games about Frozen 2, Toy Story 4 (to coincide the announcement with the anniversary marketing), Cars 3 and "maybe" Zootopia 2 while we were all thrilled over the reviews and box office, but Iger seems to be more interested in keeping the brand names alive, making the big stunt of the announcement, and letting the creative talent figure out all the hard work, like the story of the sequels and whether they'd actually be necessary.
And so far, this is the only one they've actually delivered any solid tangible story concept or art on beyond the thrill of the title, but lucky us....it's the good one. :D It's the one we nagged them mercilessly about WANTING them to make, like Pixar finally getting to work on that Incredibles sequel, and not the one we had rubbed in our face, like that Frozen 2 we thought they were going to announce.

It's not like the "video days" when vidquels were first made to extend 40's-character copyrights, and then used to resurrect "forgotten" characters--which led to David Stainton saying that every single 00's movie would get a vidquel auto-greenlit while still in production, to validate its marketed existence as a Disney movie--since they're using the same talent as the original films and striking while the iron is hot, and not digging up someone else's bones to make it.
Which is what the Lasseter Treaty forbid when it forced ToonStudios to stop making vidquels.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 1st, 2016, 5:27 pm

So far, they've talked great games about Frozen 2, Toy Story 4 (to coincide the announcement with the anniversary marketing), Cars 3 and "maybe" Zootopia 2
Toy Story 4 is well into production, so...

And Cars 3 is set for release next year, so...

Seems safe to say it's not just "talking great games" at this point.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » July 9th, 2016, 6:49 pm

I am normally hesitant about sequels to Disney movies, but I must say out of all their recent releases Wreck-It Ralph was one, after first viewing, that I thought I would enjoy visiting again in another movie. The other movie I wouldn't object to getting a sequel would be Big Hero 6. Both stories have a natural opening to another sequel.