The Rocketeer returns!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Rocketeer returns!

Post by gaastra » July 28th, 2016, 7:03 pm

New female rocketeer has to find the original!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... rks-915037

"The new take keeps the story in a period setting and offers a fresh view on the characters. Set six years after the original Rocketeer and after Secord has vanished while fighting the Nazis, an unlikely new hero emerges: a young African–American female pilot, who takes up the mantle of Rocketeer in an attempt to stop an ambitious and corrupt rocket scientist from stealing jet-pack technology in what could prove to be a turning point in the Cold War."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Rocketeer follow-up with Female Rocketeer

Post by droosan » July 28th, 2016, 7:18 pm

... :|

.. in other words,

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 28th, 2016, 10:47 pm

More like https://www.yahoo.com/movies/tony-stark ... 07955.html
Disney wanted to get on the new "girl-power" Marvel, but realistically, they'd be crazy to kick Robert Downey Jr. out of the MCU, even if their movies weren't already set in stone through 2018.

So, Rocketeer, Iron Man, hey, six o' one, they both blast off and it's all in the Disney house anyway...They probably had female pilots in the 40's!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 29th, 2016, 7:02 am

Um...even earlier.. Ever hear of Amelia Earhart...?

By the time of the original Rocketeer she would have just gone missing, so it's well within the realms of something like this that she would be inspiring other young ladies to take to the skies, one way or another.

And although girl power is all the renewed thing right now, I'm surprised - but pleased - that Disney feels confident in going this route after the similarly cast Tomorrowland didn't exactly work out for them.

It won't be anything like Stevens' books, but I'm all for this, especially as it's still going to be a period adventure. I still just wish they'd have let Tron get its third film done, even if it was the last.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 29th, 2016, 3:36 pm

Ben wrote:By the time of the original Rocketeer she would have just gone missing, so it's well within the realms of something like this that she would be inspiring other young ladies to take to the skies, one way or another.
Speaking of "missing", the pluralized title suggests that Riri...er, sorry, the heroine, finds the/another pack, learns of the legend, has to track down the disappeared Cliff Secord so that we can learn why Billy Campbell looks twenty-seven years older than he did in the first movie, and they presumably team up to fight the villain before passing mantles.

So, actually, it should be "Rocketeer Legacy", and probably with the same oversensitive elimination of any of the original movie's sense of humor or whimsy in order to be "reverent" to the studio-icon original. (Lest anyone should dare joke about the first movie being, like, old, from 1990.)

And there were so many things wrong with Tomorrowland, the heroine wasn't even part of the problem; in fact she ended up being one of the few right things with it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 29th, 2016, 5:15 pm

EricJ wrote:(Lest anyone should dare joke about the first movie being, like, old, from 1990)
IMO, the wholly unironic reaction of most people under 30 being told of Disney's upcoming Rocketeer movie will be:

:lol:

Ben wrote:It won't be anything like Stevens' books, but I'm all for this, especially as it's still going to be a period adventure.
Dave Stevens' sole follow-up chapter to the original comic book storyline -- "Cliff's New York Adventure" -- saw the Rocketeer joining forces with The Shadow (which, as with Doc Savage in the first story, likely couldn't have been used by Disney for a movie, anyway).

Sadly, Stevens stopped creating Rocketeer comics entirely after the movie was released. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 29th, 2016, 5:54 pm

Ahh...googly eyes...Jennifer Connelly in that movie was the biggest crush for me around that time... :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 29th, 2016, 9:06 pm

I never saw the appeal with Connelly, but that's just me.

For those that don't know, IDW has also put out numerous Rocketeer stories by all-star creators in the past few years, including a team-up with The Spirit.

The new film sounds cool to me. I definitely look forward to it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 29th, 2016, 10:05 pm

I can definitely appreciate Ms. Connelly's appeal .. but (IMO) her 'Jenny' was still a step down from the comic-book's Bettie Page (though, in a Disney adaptation, she was doomed to have been the first thing to go :wink: )

I confess that I have not really been intrigued to seek out the newer IDW Rocketeer stories by other creators .. although I do own -- and treasure! -- their oversized hardcover editions of Stevens' works featuring the character. Perhaps I will, someday.

There was a short animated tribute to The Rocketeer produced in France, a few years ago .. which is rather fun: :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » February 27th, 2018, 9:33 pm

So, it seems like the movie referenced in the OP of this thread may have been abandoned, and has effectively been replaced with a 'kid-oriented' Disney Junior animated series (as per the news story Dacey linked on the AV main page).

I'm actually a bit more on-board with this method of revisiting The Rocketeer than with the 'big-budget direct sequel 27 years after the fact' approach. The fact that it'll be on Disney Junior (rather than Disney XD) seems to indicate that it will be less of an action series than it probably could be, though. :|

Still, I'll definitely keep an eye out for this, if it ends-up happening..!

---------------------------------------------

And -- since the french 20th anniversary Rocketeer tribute animation that I'd embedded in my previous post apparently no longer exists on YouTube -- here's a (currently) working version: :mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 27th, 2018, 11:48 pm

The Rocketeer kiddie show could certainly be cute, though something more in line with the Star Wars animated shows would have been more to my liking. Regardless, it's nice to see Dave's creation still generating interest. I'll be curious to see how the new show works out. It might even lead to that new film we'd enjoy seeing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 16th, 2019, 2:30 pm

Billy Campbell, star of the original, will be voicing Dave Secord, father of the seven year old lead in the Disney Junior series. Pretty cool.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 16th, 2019, 6:18 pm

Aww, thought they were abandoning it because Marvel Comics' "Ironheart" was already getting her own Disney+ series.
(With Robert Downey Jr. repeating his role as the old Alan Arkin engineer.)

And hate to say it, but I remember seeing the Rocketeer in the theater, and the little kids were bored silly by it. :(
The adults loved the 30's period homage and Timothy Dalton's Errol Flynn imitation, but the young ones were running marathons in and out of the concession lobby like a revolving door.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 19th, 2019, 3:55 pm

Official trailer:

I guess it looks okay for what it is...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 19th, 2019, 7:11 pm

So wearing a rocket pack gives you super-strength...!? :?