Laika

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Laika

Postby James » August 24th, 2016, 1:21 pm

No Kubo thread? How about we just start one for Laika then?

Kubo and the Two Strings review is up!

http://animatedviews.com/2016/kubo-and- ... ings-film/

Not in the review, but for those like me originally confused by it when they heard it...(very, very mild spoiler ahead)

click to reveal content
I love the title now!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Laika

Postby EricJ » August 24th, 2016, 4:04 pm

I think they've officially used up their free three-film Ticket To Ride after "Coraline".
They still have a cult with the animation fans for "Come see our latest because we made it by hand!", but what they make is starting to have less and less breakout appeal.

My feelings on Paranorman are well known by this point, there is no love for The Boxtrolls, and Kubo looks even more like the legacy of the Samurai Jack Fanboy Generation twenty years later than "Secret of the Kells" did.

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby James » August 24th, 2016, 6:10 pm

Not sure about all that, but as for me I am not a fan of any of their other films. This is the first one I've liked and it is partly because it is different from the others. But after three similar films viewers may have thought this would be more of the same.

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby Ben » August 24th, 2016, 6:31 pm

I'm loving what I've seen of Kubo (no confusion in the title for me...?) and can't wait to see it, though I only really liked Coraline before. ParaNorman was a drag and Boxtrolls had good elements but a weak story. Kubo just looks epic!

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby James » August 24th, 2016, 7:46 pm

Ben wrote:...(no confusion in the title for me...?)...

click to reveal content
"Why's it called Kubo and the TWO Strings when his guitar-thingy is obviously a three-string?"

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby Ben » August 25th, 2016, 4:17 am

Still not knowing too much about the story, I wasn't really thinking that his guitar-thingy was part of the title, or was just assuming that at some point it would lose a string or he'd have to replace the strings and only have two but find he could play just as well with two as with three, etc. If that's not the case then, yeah, it would be odd to call it Two Strings.

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby James » August 25th, 2016, 8:03 am

I assumed something like that and that it would be explained too, but that doesn't meant there wasn't some confusion about the title when you first hear it.

I will say that this one is better than "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire"! Always hated that title after reading the book!

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby Ben » August 25th, 2016, 4:46 pm

Careful, you're heading into Seven Little Men Help A Girl territory! ;)

As for Potter: ...And The Half-Blood Prince - always hated that title after I saw the film! ;)

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby James » December 2nd, 2016, 9:43 am

Nice review from Ben: http://animatedviews.com/2016/kubo-and- ... s-blu-ray/

As you should expect, spoilers galore. Wait to read it if you haven't seen it. Both Ben and I gave it good reviews so definitely worth a watch.