Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Storks

Post by droosan » September 26th, 2016, 1:36 am

*goes to see Storks*
*really enjoys it*
*comes home, looks at A-V forum*

"hmmm .. there doesn't seem to be a Storks thread. Maybe there just hasn't been any discussion on it, for awhile"
*clicks 'advanced search'*
*enters search: "storks"; limit to topic titles only*
*no results found*

"huh" :|

So .. I'm guessing no one was looking forward to this one, then..? :wink:

That's too bad .. it's kinda fun!

Oh, the movie is utter nonsense, story-wise .. but it's packed full with fast-talking wisecracks and 'blink-and-you'll-miss-em' sight gags: bam-bam-BAM .. like an animated Zucker/Abrams movie (or a feature-length Looney Tunes cartoon). Not every gag may 'hit' .. but it doesn't matter, because half the audience is still laughing at the one(s) from 10-15 seconds ago. :lol:

Storks may not be a Disney/Pixar-level film .. but IMO, it's firmly on the same level of humor & animation quality as Sony, Illumination or Blue Sky; pretty impressive for a first feature. :)

Here's hoping it'll at least be enough of a hit that we'll see more 'in-house' features from Warner Animation Group..!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Storks

Post by Ben » September 26th, 2016, 4:01 am

I think Storks ended up piggy-backing another thread (most likely Lego...?).

I've gotten more interested in seeing it as it got closer, but it wasn't originally high up on my radar when it was announced. I have no idea when it hits the UK but will likely see it and/or definitely get the Blu.

I'd still like to see WB bring back a *true* in-house animation studio though: apart from using Animal Logic for the Happy Feets and Legends Of The Guardians, or buying in big indie movies (Ant Bully, Clone Wars) and basically licensing a brand name for Lego Movie, even their "first" feature Storks was actually animated by Sony Imageworks!

Still, good to hear it works, though a shame WB yet again doesn't know how to sell animation and seems to be promoting the Batman Lego thing over the movie they have in theaters right now. Over here, I haven't seen *anything* for Storks (or Miss Peregrine for that matter) and then they will wonder why the films fail, as Storks is already doing in the US...

Since Termite Terrace got turned over to DePatie-Freleng in the 1960s, WB have just never been able to really grab a proper handle back on theatrical animation, with a scattershot approach that sees them dipping a toe in but never committing. They really should be the preeminent house for irreverent and satirical comedy animation, but they just seem to have a fear of embracing that completely.

Animation production aside, it's good to hear that they may be heading in the right direction at last with Storks...I just hope, as you say, that they continue to try alternate ideas and don't just stick to Lego movies.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » September 26th, 2016, 9:04 am

I'm slated to see it today and then get a review up asap. Hadn't heard much about it so glad to hear you enjoyed it.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 26th, 2016, 10:35 am

I had a friend describe it as "Children of Men for kids", which was enough to sell me. Plus I've liked the trailers and I always enjoy Kelsey Grammar.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 26th, 2016, 4:56 pm

droosan wrote:So .. I'm guessing no one was looking forward to this one, then..? :wink:
I saw trailers over the spring and summer for EVERY SINGLE animated and hybrid kids' movie opening over the next year--saw Wild Life's four times, Monster Trucks three times, saw more Trollz trailers than I ever hope to, every configuration of Angry Birds marketing, and Little Prince back when it was still going to play theaters--and never saw one single trailer for Storks.
(Although, to be fair, I didn't go to any of the Warner/DC movies in a theater, either.)

I still have no single clue about the movie's existence and could have looked up the trailer online, but that "What, were they changing the babies diapers??" expression on the characters' faces, being pushed desperately in our own, sort of...scared me away from the idea.
You might be able to tell people, "It's as good as Pets and Sing" even if it is, but boy, is it going to be a hard sell. If that's their new Warner Face, it sums up the reason why we want other third-party animated movies to go away, now that we're finally rid of the Dreamworks Face.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » September 28th, 2016, 11:52 am

AV review: http://animatedviews.com/2016/storks-film/

Easily my favorite animated movie this year so far! Extremely fun!

(Before anyone challenges that first sentence, note that I said "favorite" movie, not "best" movie!)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 28th, 2016, 1:00 pm

Looks like I might be checking this one out in theaters. :)

(Also, "Easily the funniest animated film since The Lego Movie" may be the most blurb-friendly sentence we've ever done on this site ;) :) )
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » September 28th, 2016, 1:43 pm

storks-poster-av.jpg
storks-poster-av.jpg (88.81 KiB) Viewed 7090 times

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 28th, 2016, 1:55 pm

8)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 28th, 2016, 2:57 pm

EricJ wrote:I still have no single clue about the movie's existence and could have looked up the trailer online, but that "What, were they changing the babies diapers??" expression on the characters' faces, being pushed desperately in our own, sort of...scared me away from the idea.
James wrote:
storks-poster-av.jpg
(Seriously, what IS that?? :shock: If it's getting good reviews, I'll feel more comfortable going to see it if I know there's some justified plot reason they look like that.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » September 28th, 2016, 4:02 pm

I'd have thought you, of all people, would simply be happy she doesn't look like this:

:mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » September 28th, 2016, 4:16 pm

EricJ wrote:...(Seriously, what IS that?? :shock: If it's getting good reviews, I'll feel more comfortable going to see it if I know there's some justified plot reason they look like that.)
Assuming you're talking about the two characters at the bottom of the poster:
Everyone is smiling and happy. They're also trying to smile and act natural around everyone, but they're nervous because they have made a big mistake that they are trying to fix before anyone discovers their secret.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 28th, 2016, 5:19 pm

James wrote:
EricJ wrote:...(Seriously, what IS that?? :shock: If it's getting good reviews, I'll feel more comfortable going to see it if I know there's some justified plot reason they look like that.)
Assuming you're talking about the two characters at the bottom of the poster:
Everyone is smiling and happy. They're also trying to smile and act natural around everyone, but they're nervous because they have made a big mistake that they are trying to fix before anyone discovers their secret.
After a good long examination, I finally theorized they were nervous about the baby that's trying to peek out the bottom of the poster (OHHHhhh!)...But still gives off those third-party vibes of "This is what can happen to you someday if you think Dreamworks is funny". And how did those two Secret Life of Pets characters get into the top?
Apart from some TCM Fathom classics, there's not much at our Cinemark in October (does anyone care anymore that there's a new Tim Burton film?) so I might go on a leap of faith, but I'll need some more specific faith to leap on.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 28th, 2016, 6:43 pm

Dacey wrote:"Easily the funniest animated film since The Lego Movie" may be the most blurb-friendly sentence we've ever done on this site ;) :)
That's if you found The Lego Movie funny... ;)