The Lion King Remake

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
Animated Views Staff
Animated Views Staff

The Lion King Remake

Postby Dacey » September 28th, 2016, 10:26 am

After the extreme success of The Jungle Book and the sure-to-be extreme success of next year's Beauty and the Beast, I suppose this isn't surprising. Though since Jon says this is his "next project," I wonder what this means for his Jungle Book sequel.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/7 ... king-movie
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Re: The Lion King Remake

Postby Ben » September 28th, 2016, 6:53 pm

This just seems so redundant to me, but is there any point in having a Disney Animation anymore?

I mean, now that anything can be told photorealistically, do we need the likes of Tangled, Frozen or Big Hero 6 when they could be made in "live-action"?

You just know a "live-action" Frozen will come along in ten or fifteen years.

Apart from that I just don't get the point. The story has been done, exceptionally, in the animated medium. Despite the different rendering, all this will be is another animated version, unlike The Jungle Book, which was based on a book to begin with but had a point to it in having a real-life boy.

This will look fantastic, it will be extremely well made and probably highly enjoyable. But is there any real point to it? No.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Postby EricJ » September 28th, 2016, 7:08 pm

Dacey wrote:After ...the sure-to-be extreme success of next year's Beauty and the Beast,

They're still keeping understandably mum about whether it's really the filmed Broadway musical or not. Although after Cinderella, they probably don't care.

Ben wrote:This just seems so redundant to me, but is there any point in having a Disney Animation anymore?
Apart from that I just don't get the point. The story has been done, exceptionally, in the animated medium. Despite the different rendering, all this will be is another animated version, unlike The Jungle Book, which was based on a book to begin with but had a point to it in having a real-life boy.

Disney tends to make three movies at once before the first one hits, and if it does, they make five more of it. They're a bit insecure that way.
The fact that Jungle Book did become a hit, and make it look "easy", took their insecurities so by "You liked it, you really liked it!" surprise, that should keep Jon Favreau in work for life, and he probably never will get around to that Magic Kingdom movie.
The idea of doing a live-action Jungle Book started out as "Let's do the actual book this time", but by the time we had Favreau using the original music and the characters karaoke'ing the songs, it became more just nostalgia-pageant.

Going by the fact that the Lion King wasn't based on a classic book to "get right this time" (holds up Harrison-Ford finger before Ben can use the H-word), it's just a cash-grab made for the exact same reason we probably WILL get a live-action Frozen...Even though we already did on Once Upon a Time, and they'd probably use the live-action Cinderella's box-office as an excuse.
At least we know this Lion King won't be the filmed Broadway musical.

Animated Views Staff
Animated Views Staff

Postby Dacey » September 28th, 2016, 7:17 pm

They're still keeping understandably mum about whether it's really the filmed Broadway musical or not.

It's not the Broadway musical filmed. They've already said so.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby Ben » September 28th, 2016, 7:19 pm

...And I already acknowledged that Lion King isn't based on a book.

(But I like the Ford finger reference!)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Postby Bill1978 » September 29th, 2016, 5:29 pm

Apart from the money making reason, I don't understand this logic at all. I still don't understand the need to remake Beauty & The Beast, especially since the household objects are going to be animated. I'm guessing since re-releases of the original films into theatres have no value any more like they use to, thanks to home video market, this is Disney's new millennium approach to re-releases.

This news really had be shaking my head and thinking NOOOOOO!! and I'm not even that much of a fan of the original. I think the public's love of the movie is ridiculous. And I'm not really sure photorealistic animals singing the songs is going to look that sensible either.

Animated Views Staff
Animated Views Staff

Postby Dacey » September 29th, 2016, 5:33 pm

I will say I'm extremely excited about B&TB. The cast is perfect and they seem to be going for the right approach with it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Postby EricJ » September 30th, 2016, 5:19 pm

EricJ wrote:The fact that Jungle Book did become a hit, and make it look "easy", took their insecurities so by "You liked it, you really liked it!" surprise, that should keep Jon Favreau in work for life, and he probably never will get around to that Magic Kingdom movie.

Now the latest rumor is that Disney wants to take the Magic Kingdom idea (which may have supposed to be the Kingdom Keepers book series that didn't connect enough with Disney's marketing ideas), and turn it into a "Once Upon a Time style drama series" for ABC.

Not sure whether they're grooming it to be OUAT's "replacement", but certainly looks like they'd rather have Favreau making Disney movies we know than Disney rides, if Jungle Book made more money than Jungle Cruise would have.

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby James » October 1st, 2016, 8:10 am

These are almost as annoying as when Disney went overboard with sequels.

Almost.