Rock Dog

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Re: Rock Dog

Post by Dacey » May 26th, 2017, 5:21 pm

Welp, Lionsgate got a hold of Early Man after all...

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/8 ... s#/slide/1
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 26th, 2017, 6:34 pm

Early Man will open on February 16, 2018 from Summit Entertainment as counter-programming against MarvelStudios’ blockbuster Black Panther.
Another sad victim of the Hollywood Superstition That Would Not Die. :(

Although February was for kids'-vacation movies, and the idea of an "unknown" Aardman film made them think it would be another Flushed Away or Pirates, and therefore "cannon fodder", how many more innocent martyrs must pile up to suffer, before studios see the light?
o/`"Anybody here, see my ol' friend Pooh, can you tell me where he's gone?..."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 27th, 2017, 3:35 am

Well at least it'll be a hit in its home country. What a silly release date...just put it out the month earlier as in the UK!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » May 27th, 2017, 8:02 am

I will say Trolls fared fine against Doctor Strange, Captain Underpants is tracking super well in the face of Wonder Woman, I can see why they think going up against a non-Avengers/Guardians superhero entry could work out OK especially over a holiday weekend like President's Day that's been lucrative for family movies in the past.

Trouble is, Early Man doesn't have the star power of Trolls and given Aardman's more mixed track record domestically, a release date in slightly more hospitable terrain (why didn't they go for the pre-Easter weekend that worked so well for The Boss Baby and other DreamWorks films while it was available?? Now it's Sherlock Gnomes opening weekend!) would be better as well as choosing not so formidable competition to go up against.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!