Coco

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Coco

Postby EricJ » March 30th, 2017, 2:39 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Glorying some more in DWA's destruction. Real classy Eric. I'm sure all those out of work animators who probably read this forum appreciate this too. :roll:

To all you out of work animators: We know you liked Jeffrey. We know you thought he was a saint to work for.
But did you honestly like the stuff you had to MAKE five days a week, or was it a living??
Wouldn't somebody in the break room say "Who the heck is waiting for Turbo?", or "Why is Will Ferrell funny?", or did you just shut up, take the paycheck in a tightening industry, and throw around some more Lasseter gossip about why you were glad you weren't working for Disney/Pixar?

Animated Views Staff
Animated Views Staff

Postby Dacey » March 30th, 2017, 2:52 pm

I'd be very proud if I was lucky or talented enough to be a DWA animator. There. 'Nuff said. :)

(Also, for what it's worth, Megamind was a hilarious little movie that had the misfortune of being overshadowed by DM at the time, but it was still a pretty solid hit)

(Also, as I said elsewhere, the plot summaries for those films would've been available before their teasers debuted, so it seems unlikely it was part of some grand "anti-DWA" scheme)

(Also, at least around here, it seems generally agreed that Antz was better than A Bug's Life. And that's not a shot at A Bug's Life, BTW)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Postby EricJ » March 30th, 2017, 4:02 pm

Dacey wrote:(Also, as I said elsewhere, the plot summaries for those films would've been available before their teasers debuted, so it seems unlikely it was part of some grand "anti-DWA" scheme)
Also, at least around here, it seems generally agreed that Antz was better than A Bug's Life. And that's not a shot at A Bug's Life, BTW)

Even so, it's my own particular complaint about Katz's sitcom-fueled thought processes that even when he DOES steal, he can't steal them right--Pixar knows how to delilberately throw that last-minute "feel"-wrench into their stories to keep them from becoming cliche's (which is why they never tell us about them ahead of time, heheh), and JK has his eye on the marketing and believes that reliable cliche' tropes make the genre turn 'round.

You can almost picture JK getting an early scoop of A Bug's Life's plot and...just not getting it:
"Y'see, Flik doesn't quite fit in with the colony--"
"I get it! He's insecure! He's a WOODY ALLEN ant!"
"No, see, he's sort of a different thinker..."
"Because all the other ants are in the army! And they're jerks that lead repressive lives, just like in our grownup cities! And they're forcing him to conform!"
"Well, he sort of likes Queen Atta, and he's trying to impress her with his new ideas..."
"So they get lost and end up together on a ROAD TRIP! We've got a hit! Eisner will be begging for mercy!" :lol:
Last edited by EricJ on March 30th, 2017, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Animated Views Staff
Animated Views Staff

Postby Dacey » March 30th, 2017, 4:05 pm

Well, Antz was a hit...

And it's 96% "fresh" over at RT...

Which is higher than A Bug's Life...

So...
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Postby ShyViolet » March 30th, 2017, 4:19 pm

Plus as wonderful as ABL is (one of my fave Pixar films) it's much more of a road trip/buddy comedy than Antz.
"It is written among the limitless constellations of the celestial heavens, and in the depths of the emerald seas....the world which we see is an outward and visible dream of an inward and invisible reality."

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby Ben » March 31st, 2017, 4:16 pm

It's okay, Vi. He can't even get DreamWorks nomenclature right.

Aaaaaand...I got it - I saw that new Coco short on the front of Beauty And The Beast. I knew I had seen it before it was posted here, and they did indeed present it as a teaser trailer.