Coco

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Coco

Post by EricJ » March 30th, 2017, 3:39 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Glorying some more in DWA's destruction. Real classy Eric. I'm sure all those out of work animators who probably read this forum appreciate this too. :roll:
To all you out of work animators: We know you liked Jeffrey. We know you thought he was a saint to work for.
But did you honestly like the stuff you had to MAKE five days a week, or was it a living??
Wouldn't somebody in the break room say "Who the heck is waiting for Turbo?", or "Why is Will Ferrell funny?", or did you just shut up, take the paycheck in a tightening industry, and throw around some more Lasseter gossip about why you were glad you weren't working for Disney/Pixar?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 30th, 2017, 3:52 pm

I'd be very proud if I was lucky or talented enough to be a DWA animator. There. 'Nuff said. :)

(Also, for what it's worth, Megamind was a hilarious little movie that had the misfortune of being overshadowed by DM at the time, but it was still a pretty solid hit)

(Also, as I said elsewhere, the plot summaries for those films would've been available before their teasers debuted, so it seems unlikely it was part of some grand "anti-DWA" scheme)

(Also, at least around here, it seems generally agreed that Antz was better than A Bug's Life. And that's not a shot at A Bug's Life, BTW)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 30th, 2017, 5:02 pm

Dacey wrote:(Also, as I said elsewhere, the plot summaries for those films would've been available before their teasers debuted, so it seems unlikely it was part of some grand "anti-DWA" scheme)
Also, at least around here, it seems generally agreed that Antz was better than A Bug's Life. And that's not a shot at A Bug's Life, BTW)
Even so, it's my own particular complaint about Katz's sitcom-fueled thought processes that even when he DOES steal, he can't steal them right--Pixar knows how to delilberately throw that last-minute "feel"-wrench into their stories to keep them from becoming cliche's (which is why they never tell us about them ahead of time, heheh), and JK has his eye on the marketing and believes that reliable cliche' tropes make the genre turn 'round.

You can almost picture JK getting an early scoop of A Bug's Life's plot and...just not getting it:
"Y'see, Flik doesn't quite fit in with the colony--"
"I get it! He's insecure! He's a WOODY ALLEN ant!"
"No, see, he's sort of a different thinker..."
"Because all the other ants are in the army! And they're jerks that lead repressive lives, just like in our grownup cities! And they're forcing him to conform!"
"Well, he sort of likes Queen Atta, and he's trying to impress her with his new ideas..."
"So they get lost and end up together on a ROAD TRIP! We've got a hit! Eisner will be begging for mercy!" :lol:
Last edited by EricJ on March 30th, 2017, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 30th, 2017, 5:05 pm

Well, Antz was a hit...

And it's 96% "fresh" over at RT...

Which is higher than A Bug's Life...

So...
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 30th, 2017, 5:19 pm

Plus as wonderful as ABL is (one of my fave Pixar films) it's much more of a road trip/buddy comedy than Antz.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 31st, 2017, 5:16 pm

It's okay, Vi. He can't even get DreamWorks nomenclature right.

Aaaaaand...I got it - I saw that new Coco short on the front of Beauty And The Beast. I knew I had seen it before it was posted here, and they did indeed present it as a teaser trailer.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 23rd, 2017, 3:34 pm

Coco review: http://animatedviews.com/2017/coco-film/

Not a go-go or a no-no, more of a so-so.

;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 29th, 2017, 2:42 pm

Coco is terrific.

Easily Pixar's best film since Inside Out. Granted, that might not mean much to some people, but this definitely fell into the "great Pixar" category rather than "better than I thought it might be" one that films like Monsters University might fall under, and it may be a lock for BAF unless The Breadwinner turns out to be a spoiler (and, yes, the allegations against JL right now may or may not hurt the film's chances, fairly or not).

The Book of Life might still be my Day of the Dead go-to, as I think it's much more of a "holiday" film than Coco ultimately is (if that makes sense). Still, Coco is pure Pixar, deeply emotional and full of heart (though the little featurette that played between the film and the Christmas short was completely unneeded, and felt like a "for your consideration" ad).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 29th, 2017, 7:34 pm

"allegations against JL"...?

Edit: dolt...I just realised you meant John Lasseter, not Justice League. :roll:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 29th, 2017, 8:19 pm

;)

Lasseter's credit is pretty prominent, as it is on all Disney and Pixar releases these days. Whether or not he will still make the credits of The Incredibles 2 (which I think comes out during his leave of absence?) remains to be seen.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 29th, 2017, 11:20 pm

Coco has so little competition this year, that it should be a lock for BAF. (Not to say that some of the smaller films might not be even better, but they realistically probably don't have a chance.) I don't see that huge of a backlash against JL (yes, I caught the reference right away ;) ), and in fact Disney is likely being looked upon positively for dealing with him as they did.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 30th, 2017, 9:53 am

...except there’s a lot of talk around who at Disney allowed him to continue, it turning out to be fairly well-known around the company. And with Iger's leaving coming up, word is he may have to let JL (Lasseter, not the League!) go rather than leave under any sort of cloud.

It’s just such a sad situation, but he’s not really a big face outside of the business or for fans, so I don’t think it will have any impact on box-office for audiences who still think anything CG is Disney or Pixar.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 4th, 2017, 3:24 pm

Latest news is that theater audiences have had a little TOO MUCH of Olaf at the beginning--some even deliberately arriving late--and Disney is pulling the Frozen short as of Friday.
http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/03/olafs-f ... lled-coco/
(Cinemark's theater page now offers the date, and a disclaimer that the main feature won't start for twenty minutes.)

I get that seven minutes of "Frozen Fever" was a big hit before the live-action Cinderella, but you don't put a whole half-hour TV special in front of a Pixar, even if you are hoping for Oscar exhibition.
Darn, now I have to wait another week. :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 4th, 2017, 8:32 pm

Of course, the article you cited clearly states that the Olaf film was always planned as a limited engagement, and was scheduled to end in two weeks anyway. What you stated doesn't contradict that, but your post leaves the wrong impression. Olaf may have been unpopular, but he wasn't "pulled" because of it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 5th, 2017, 1:25 am

Over here, Olaf has been paired with a reissue of the original Frozen, since we don’t get Coco yet (no idea why) and apparently it’s been going great guns, which is nuts because people seem to be shelling out full price to see a twenty minute cartoon and a movie they probably have on disc at home!