Coco

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Coco

Post by Dacey » December 6th, 2016, 1:47 pm

Early images, cast, and plot summary:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/12/06/pi ... -cast-plot

This sounds a lot like The Book of Life so far.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Coco

Post by ShyViolet » December 14th, 2016, 4:32 pm

Film to be a "love letter to Mexico." Can't wait! :)

http://m.channel24.co.za/channel24/Movi ... o-20161214
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » March 15th, 2017, 12:12 pm

The first trailer is here and wow, the animation is beautiful looking! A very promising teaser trailer!
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 15th, 2017, 1:59 pm

Yes, John Lasseter, you already TOLD us you saw Spirited Away.... :P

(That's meant as a compliment, BTW.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » March 15th, 2017, 4:55 pm

You mean book of life/ Corpse bride/ Little monsters/ Beetlejuice cartoon?

I'm getting a book of life vibe here big time. Paranorman as well as he teams up with his dead grandma!

Still Pixar can make some great movie at their best so lets see how this goes. The movie could be great.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 15th, 2017, 5:34 pm

gaastra wrote:You mean book of life/ Corpse bride/ Little monsters/ Beetlejuice cartoon?
No, I mean, Spirited Away, like when the boy makes the mistake of grabbing what he shouldn't, and runs into the big huge lit-up invisible City of Ghosts that he has to earn his escape from, and panics "I'm dreaming, I'm dreaming!" as he runs into the other wandering resident spirits, I could practically hear Daveigh Chase's Chihiro voice from the US dub.

Still, to use the Lasseter-ism, looks like "You are in for a treat..."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 16th, 2017, 6:30 am

So it deals with similar themes and visual cues as Book Of Life, so of course it's going to share some elements, but did anyone else spot the other film I got a recall from?

Coco And The Two Strings? ;)

More seriously, this looks beautiful, and I think it's going to be more of an adventure drama than the somewhat comic approach Book Of Life had. My interest in seeing this one just jumped up a whole big notch.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 16th, 2017, 7:33 am

As someone said somewhere else on the net, no one complains when Christmas movies look alike because they have iconic images that need to be used. Just like this holiday has images that need to be used so you know it is that holiday that is the backbone of the movie. So of course they will look alike as they need the same iconic images. I am happy to wait until I see it before I declare it a Book of Life clone.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 16th, 2017, 8:18 pm

Bill1978 wrote:I am happy to wait until I see it before I declare it a Book of Life clone.
Or vice versa, like the Wild/Madagascar and Newt/Rio paternity suits.

There's a big push now to try and demographically build up Dia de los Muertos as a new "targeted" holiday to the Latino audience with colorful decorations, so it's possible that Book and Coco generated independently (and not that someone at rival studios snuck a look at early concept art), but it should emphasize the point that no matter what you can steal, Pixar Still Does It Better.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » March 30th, 2017, 1:52 am

Disney and Pixar quietly, and rather surprisingly, release a little "short tail" related to the film called Dante's Lunch. Goofy fun, if you ask me. :mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 30th, 2017, 8:55 am

Wasn't this the teaser trailer issued a couple of weeks ago? I've seen this before somewhere.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » March 30th, 2017, 10:13 am

Nope. You can see the original teaser from a couple weeks ago posted back up in the thread by Lotso. :mrgreen:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 30th, 2017, 11:34 am

This feels like the sort of thing that would've been a teaser a while back, but it seems like Pixar has abandoned the "animated short" trailers.

Granted, this is an animated short, but you know what I mean. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 30th, 2017, 3:21 pm

Dacey wrote:This feels like the sort of thing that would've been a teaser a while back, but it seems like Pixar has abandoned the "animated short" trailers.
Granted, this is an animated short, but you know what I mean. ;)
Again, it's the idea that they had to "tease" us with a story we didn't expect (a caterpillar chews off the wrong part of a leaf? An old guy sitting on the porch of his balloon-flying house?), but also to torment the unimaginative Dreamworks so that they wouldn't have the faintest idea what to steal in production a year ahead...Welp, don't have to worry about THAT anymore. :mrgreen:

Plus, we're a little more used to Pixar having strong stories, so they can tease just enough of the first-act story setup to hook the right people, without giving away the third-act emotional twist that's the studio's trademark.
(Unless it's Finding Dory, where they don't have one.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 30th, 2017, 3:32 pm

Glorying some more in DWA's destruction. Real classy Eric. I'm sure all those out of work animators who probably read this forum appreciate this too. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!