Batman Begins

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » July 22nd, 2008, 8:56 am

:shock:

:(

Actually, I wouldn't mind Favreau someday directing a Batman film. He is a very talented filmmaker. But while Nolan is driving the franchise, I'm enjoying the ride. :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 22nd, 2008, 10:45 am

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 22nd, 2008, 11:38 am

Craziness!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » July 25th, 2008, 1:20 am

:shock: Oh my....

BTW, I finally caught The Dark Knight this evening. It was all kinds of awesome!! Ledger was simply amazing...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » July 28th, 2008, 8:54 am

ShyViolet wrote:True Once. I just hope there's more of that this time. :)
Yeah,they should show that more :D.
ShyViolet wrote:Yes, he should have gotten more screentime, (although he did at least nail the "meek" aspect of Clark pretty well) especially since half the time we see Supes he's CGI anyway... :roll:
Yeah but he didn't seems to had much personality.
He should have got more screentime :D.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 28th, 2008, 3:35 pm

I edited your post Once, no need for a quote within a quote. :)

The Dark Knight... you know, I still have yet to see it! I'll try to catch it soon.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » July 28th, 2008, 3:45 pm

Oh,okay,thanks :D.
Nestle are promoting the Dark Knight and they have Dark Knight in their cereal boxes,it's a little weird.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 28th, 2008, 3:57 pm

Indeed. I have Power Punch Batman, though. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » July 28th, 2008, 4:08 pm

Wait,Nestle sells in US?.
It's the same toys we have :shock: anyway I don't have the figure (Yet) but I have this wheel like thing:
http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/sho ... 0&format=0
I"ll get the one with the figures next time :D (Hope to get Batman).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » July 28th, 2008, 5:15 pm

Going to see it tonight. Everyone's been telling me it's amazing and thus far I've managed to avoid major spoilers. Fingers crossed.

EDIT: By the way, it turned out that the allegations against Christian Bale were very likely fabricated. Just thought I should mention it.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 28th, 2008, 7:14 pm

Hope you enjoy the movie, eddie! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 29th, 2008, 12:59 am

Wonderful film! :) Saw it again today. Like everyone has been saying, so much meaning buried beneath the surface. This film is definetely superior to the first one (which I enjoyed even wiith its flaws) since it is a much deeper, richer exploration of evil than the less focused approach taken in BB.
And wow....as wonderful as Heath was (and he was GREAT) Aaron Eckhart's marvelous performance as Harvey/Two- Face should not be overlooked...he gave new dimensions to an already amazing character (my all-time favorite Batman villain, even more than the Joker). In some ways Aaron's job was even harder than what Heath had to do, since at least Heath had other screen interpretations of the Joker to draw from (as radically as he reinterpreted it, or course). Other than Billy Dee Williams' limited (no fault of his own) depiction and Tommy Lee Jones' cackling Harvey Dent, Aaron had to more or less come up with a whole new interpretation on his own.*

(*I actually am somewhat of a fan of Tommy Lee Jones' Harvey Dent/Two-Face; even with all the over-the-top theatrics, there were moments of a deeper insight such as his final exhange with Bruce. But Aaron's Harvey captured the true essence of the comic book character for the first time ever in a live-action film, and gave Harvey new depth as well--no mean feat.)

OK....this movie is so good but I have three VERY minor quibbles:

1.) For some reason we don't really see anyone reacting in the horrified way you'd expect when first seeing Two-Face,; they look "upset" but you don't see the natural (inevitable) shock you'd think someone would show after seeing someone else with half their face burned off and part of their skull visible. :? Maybe Nolan felt that to do that would take away from the brooding/philosophical tone of the film, but still--I'm not asking for an '89 Joker/Plastic surgeon kind of scene, it just felt like--and maybe this was intentional, I don't know--people who see Harvey for the first time after the accident, particularly the bartender--kind of take it in stride. You can see the guy's eyeball rolling out and the bones in his head, but no one really blinks an eye....still, that makeup job was amazing, hope it at least gets nom'd! :)

2.) As great as Harvey's part was written, I kind of wish we'd seen more of his own reaction to his transformation--it seems like he's more consumed (understandably) with Rachel's death--but still, I wish there had been some kind of scene where he first sees what he looks like, but in a way it does have more of an impact when we, the audience, see him for the first time like that.

3.) Eric Roberts.....ummm. I dunno. :? :P He just didn't feel right for some reason. All I kept thinking of was when he played The Master in the '96 Dr. Who film. :roll: The part was kind of underwritten anyway.

BTW, thanks for that piece of information, eddie. It makes me glad to know that--I really didn't think that there could be anything to it.

Edit: Wow! :shock:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/ne ... ?track=rss
Last edited by ShyViolet on July 29th, 2008, 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » July 29th, 2008, 7:49 am

ShyViolet wrote:
1.) For some reason we don't really see anyone reacting in the horrified way you'd expect when first seeing Two-Face,; they look "upset" but you don't see the natural (inevitable) shock you'd think someone would show after seeing someone else with half their face burned off and part of their skull visible. :? Maybe Nolan felt that to do that would take away from the brooding/philosophical tone of the film, but still--I'm not asking for an '89 Joker/Plastic surgeon kind of scene, it just felt like--and maybe this was intentional, I don't know--people who see Harvey for the first time after the accident, particularly the bartender--kind of take it in stride. You can see the guy's eyeball rolling out and the bones in his head, but no one really blinks an eye....still, that makeup job was amazing, hope it at least gets nom'd! :)
I figure the characters were trying to hold back their shock, out of politeness. For instance, Gordon and Batman/Wayne probably wouldn't want to hurt their friend's feelings. Plus, the two of them, as well as the cop in the bar, have seen so much that Harvey's face might not look as bad or surprising to them as it does to us.

Meanwhile, the initial reactions from people who might have blurted something out, such as a certain character's wife and kids, are not seen.

(By the way, cool article! Even if The Dark Knight doesn't reach Titanic's record, I'm still glad that it is doing very well. Earlier this summer, I assumed Knight would make close to what Batman Begins made.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » July 29th, 2008, 1:09 pm

Oh yeah this movie kicked all kinds of ass.

Ledger's Joker was damn near perfection and stole every scene he was in.

Edit: Do yourself a favor, and see it in IMAX. It is freakin amazing

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » July 29th, 2008, 1:23 pm

Loved every minute of it. It's one of the most intense movies I've ever seen in my life (almost as intense as The Devil's Rejects in places, and that's pretty intense). Something interesting:
It's a bit long, and halfway through I realized why that is: They didn't make a movie perse; it occurs to me that what they did was take an entire season of an imaginary Batman tv show and condense it to movie length. Think about it: the first 20 minutes are like the season premiere, Gordon's "death" is like a midseason cliffhanger, his return is like the halfway point for the back nine, and the last 20 minutes or so are like the season finale, ending on a cliffhanger and setting up the next "season". So it makes sense that it would be that long just to get all that story in. But they may have written themselves into a corner now. With Two Face dead and the Joker not likely to be seen again, how are they going to even come close to matching this? It doesn't seem possible.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83