Despicable Me & Minions

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Minions Movie

Post by LotsoA113 » November 4th, 2014, 11:18 am

Hey, look, the first trailer is here!

I really didn't care for Despicable Me 2, and while I found some amusing moments here (the Pyramid and "Minions On The Boat" gags mainly), I'm just unsure about this one. Really dubious if they can make a really engaging story with these guys, but we'll see. I can already tell you this trailer will play like gangbusters with audiences and the film itself, regardless of quality, will have no problem making $800 million worldwide at least with ease.

I do appreciate the movie giving Jon Hamm a major movie role, as well as giving the same treatment for the vastly underrated Geoffrey Rush.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 4th, 2014, 7:32 pm

Casanova Frankenstein himself! ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 13th, 2014, 12:26 pm

This is shaping up to be one of THE biggest cash grabs I've seen in a long time. Imagine making an entire movie off of characters who don't speak English, why it's absolutely OH WHO CARES I LOVE THE MINIONS I KNOW I AM GOING TO SEE THIS!!!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 13th, 2014, 5:58 pm

It's the Scrat Factor: The trailer itself would mean the movie would be hysterical if it was JUST narrated "historical" anecdotes about the Minions through history.

But unfortunately...it isn't. We've got our three protagonist heroes, and we've got a roster of star voices who will likely not be playing Minions, so it'll pull some standard faux-Despicable plot out of its hat.
That's the difference between a three-minute short and a highly studio-promoted eighty-minute feature.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 13th, 2014, 7:33 pm

Well, it's basically Penguins Of Madagascar, isn't it. And I'll bet that travel through time doesn't make up even the first half of the movie, not in this day and age. But I'd prefer to see this than a Penguins movie (seen what they have to offer already), though I would personally love a Scrat movie (even though I know what he has to offer too, though I still believe he's the most pure form of character to have been achieved in CG from any studio).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » November 14th, 2014, 4:44 am

After viewing the trailer I want to see this movie. After viewing the trailer for the penguins movie I went meh whatever. So the minion trailer is clearly excellent promotion. I initially was sceptical and thought they should just stay in the Despicable Universe and I thought I couldn't tolerate a whole movie with them, but the trailer indicates that I could. I'm adding it to my list of movies I should try and see in the cinema next year

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Karizma » November 20th, 2014, 12:17 am

An entire movie devoted to the minions slated to hit theaters next year.. Wow! I mean, I super-adore the way they behave - so cheerful, lively, hyperactive, good at everything be it cleaning, sports, loyalty, friendship or anything else... but making an entire movie devoted to them maybe going a bit too far. Not that I would miss it, but it seems a bit too much. Still, let's wait and watch. I somehow feel the penguins in the upcoming Penguins of Madagascar are going to give the minions a run for their money. I guess it's face-off time then, with the supporting characters from Madagascar (penguins) and those from Despicable Me (minions) having their own movies to speak of!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 6th, 2015, 3:57 pm

Is it just me, or does the Minions movie somehow look..."different" from the other Despicable Me films from a visual standpoint? Like not in terms of animation or style, but it terms of "they tried to make it look like it was shot on film."

Maybe I'm not making sense, but Disney did something similar with the Rolie Polie Olie movie way back in 2002, animating the whole thing the same way as the show, and then putting it on "movie film" to make it look like a "movie." Unfortunately, when this is done to computer animation, it makes everything look less "smooth, and, in Rolie Polie Olie's case, sickly. It's possible I'm just imagining it for Minions, but I don't think I am.

To show what I mean, here's a clip from Despicable Me 2:

Now compare that to the Minions trailer:

And to show what I mean about Olie, here's the trailer for the Olie movie before it was "put on film":

Now here's Olie (sorry for using this example so much!) with the awful-looking "put on film" transfer:

Am I making any sense here? Or is Dacey reading too much into things? ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 6th, 2015, 6:38 pm

i can't see a discernible difference on my iPad, apart from the alternating looks between interlaced and progressive video. Interlaced is more video-based, blending frames for a possibly more "smooth" look, whereas progressive is a native frame format that deals with each frame individually.

Most TV stuff and even transfers for TV would be interlaced, but I'm surprised you'd see a difference between Despicable and Minions, since they both would have been rendered out progressively, as like any other big studio CG animation (though it's possible the Me 2 clip is an interlaced source).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LastActionHero » June 8th, 2015, 10:50 am

I love the minions. And the trailer looks amazing. So I think this movie is going to be a smash hit.
Can't wait to see! :D
A good CFO can develop actionable data to inform decision-making - Maureen O'Connell Scholastic

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 23rd, 2015, 12:12 pm

I was sick last week so didn't get a chance to do anything but a quick review for this until now.

http://animatedviews.com/2015/minions-film/

AV Team
AV Team

Despicable Me 3

Post by Dacey » December 14th, 2016, 11:31 am

First trailer debuts online ahead of presumed Rogue One (or Sing) theatrical attachment:

Also, interesting thing from the plot summary...

The team who brought you Despicable Me and the biggest animated hits of 2013 and 2015

I dunno. For some reason I feel like there was another animated movie in 2013 which was a bigger hit that year.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Minions - Despicable me 3 2017

Post by breakle » April 15th, 2017, 11:29 am

Am waiting Despicable me 3 2017, and you ?
Do you Minions animated movies? and which character of Minions Series movies do you like?

Love the song on Minion vivo smartphone commercials!
https://youtu.be/mZA7i2TyyZQ

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Despicable Me 3

Post by Dacey » July 5th, 2017, 6:46 pm

Site review is up:

http://animatedviews.com/2017/despicable-me-3/

Fun enough, but not quite up there with the others (or even the Minions movie).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Despicable Me 3

Post by AnimationMaster » July 28th, 2017, 5:02 am

I love Despicable Me. I have seen all of them but I wasn't happy with the last part about England. That awesome trailer, funny and I hope the whole movie will be funny. Anyway I'm going to cinema tomorrow with my son( I think I'm more excited then my son). I know this forum is about Despicable Me, but I wan to know feedback from anyone who saw Baby Boss? I have this animated movie on my hard drive.