War of the Worlds

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 7th, 2005, 10:38 am

James may not think so, but even he has to agree that The Lost World was a poor, poor film, even in relation to WOTW!

BTW, that opening scene for LW? In a round about way, I wrote that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 7th, 2005, 11:11 am

BTW, that opening scene for LW? In a round about way, I wrote that.
No way! How'd that happen?? :shock: :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 7th, 2005, 12:52 pm

Long stoooooory...

Back in the day, I once knew someone who knew someone who knew someone and my spec script for a sequel called "Return To Jurassic Park" ended up at Amblin. It opened with that scene, which was changed enough in the final film so that it wasn't a direct lift (my one had baby raptors instead of compys). There were a few other throw-away ideas from my story that I noticed as well, but nothing I could mount a suit over. I eventually received a Jurassic Park baseball-style crew jacket, which I've ended up hardly wearing.

I naturally found The Lost World not half as good as it could have been! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » July 11th, 2005, 4:08 pm

So anyway.

I saw WotW today.

omg awesome.

Damned intense, although the ending... meh not that great.
But the rest of the movie was awesome.
Did anyone else REALLY want the son to die? Tom Cruise wasn't annoying to me in this movie, but damnit, the character's son was really annoying. I was disapointed when he didn't die :(

Oh yeah, and Dakota Fanning was awesome.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 11th, 2005, 4:32 pm

Agree agree agree!! :) :)

Loved this movie. Loved it! Loved it some more! Sooooo scary, those ships that came out of the ground! Tom was excellent, even better than Minority Report IMO. Yeah Dakota was great, Spielberg's definetely good with kids.

Totally agree about his son. Soooooo annoying, and I actually think the movie would have had a lot more impact and pathos if he'd been killed, but oh well...
The part where they were *spoiler* in the little cages was amazing, what director would think to put something so reminiscent of the Holocaust in a movie like this and actually have it work??

The end, too out-of-nowhere--like, huh? Reminded me of Signs--are aliens that bent on invading earth even if contains things that would kill them?? A bit of a 28-days-later thing too, but that movie EARNED its happy ending, IMO.

But oh well. Still a great experience. Rock on, Mr. Spielberg! :D
Back in the day, I once knew someone who knew someone who knew someone and my spec script for a sequel called "Return To Jurassic Park" ended up at Amblin. It opened with that scene, which was changed enough in the final film so that it wasn't a direct lift (my one had baby raptors instead of compys). There were a few other throw-away ideas from my story that I noticed as well, but nothing I could mount a suit over. I eventually received a Jurassic Park baseball-style crew jacket, which I've ended up hardly wearing.

Really cool! That scene with the little girl and the compys was kind of like something in the first Jurassic Park book, is that where you got the idea? I think opening the Lost World with that scene was a great device!
:wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » July 11th, 2005, 4:40 pm

Well I mean, the ending made sense. It just seemed like it just happened out of nowhere, and they tried to quickly explain how with a voice over at the end.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 12th, 2005, 7:26 am

Yeah, the baby raptors/compy opening for JP2 was "lifted" from the book, but changed for the opening of the new story. It pretty much plays out in the film the way I structured it, though not the same characters and dialogue.

As for those who moan about what some are calling the "abrupt ending" of WOTW, I suggest you refer back to the radio treatment, the first movie and indeed Wells original novel, of course!

They all end like this, since what else is there to say after that?
What Spielberg has added is the family/son reunion coda, which I agree would have been really cool if they'd not had the son there.

BUT, I really did feel as if I had come out the other side with these characters, and simply having the son show up didn't spoil the overall effect or plausibility.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » July 12th, 2005, 9:19 am

Ben wrote:
BUT, I really did feel as if I had come out the other side with these characters, and simply having the son show up didn't spoil the overall effect or plausibility.[/hide]
I still hated that character :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 12th, 2005, 2:20 pm

Me too! :twisted: :twisted:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 12th, 2005, 2:22 pm

About the Holocaust references in the film, I thought Spielberg did a great job of evoking it without banging us over the head with it/ bordering on tasteless exploitation *cough X-Men I cough*

The whole theme of being hunted and exterminated, looking for a place to hide, the ongoing terror, was so well done.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 27th, 2005, 12:39 pm

Hey, has anyone here seen the new WotW set at Universal Studios Hollywood? It - is - AMAZING!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 27th, 2005, 1:25 pm

As for those who moan about what some are calling the "abrupt ending" of WOTW, I suggest you refer back to the radio treatment, the first movie and indeed Wells original novel, of course!
Hmmmm.....haven't seen either of those, but I get your point. I'm probably going to see the film again anyway.
It's kind of funny about this issue, Jurassic Park (where the book's ending was much different and more drawn out) was also accused of having an "abrupt" ending, but I have absolutely no problem with it. That's like, a perfect movie. All you really wanted to know by the end was ARE THEY GOING TO MAKE IT?? That's kind of like WOTW, too. Having a "resolution" would have deflated a lot of the suspense and action you just experienced. (Kind of like the ending of the Lost World, but that film's ending was so bad that it almost completely negates the few thrills and chills you did experience)
Hey, has anyone here seen the new WotW set at Universal Studios Hollywood? It - is - AMAZING!
I was there six years ago, I'd love to go back.

Also I think Universal Studios should have a DW section, with DW-themed rides. They already have Shrek at Florida, don't they? How about a ride that takes you through a giant underground "Anthill" like in Antz? Or a "Sinbad on the high seas" kind of ride with animatronic monsters? Or a "Spirit" ride where you feel like you're galloping with Spirit through the desert? Just a thought. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 27th, 2005, 1:46 pm

ShyViolet wrote: Also I think Universal Studios should have a DW section, with DW-themed rides. They already have Shrek at Florida, don't they? How about a ride that takes you through a giant underground "Anthill" like in Antz? Or a "Sinbad on the high seas" kind of ride with animatronic monsters? Or a "Spirit" ride where you feel like you're galloping with Spirit through the desert? Just a thought. :roll:
They had a Shrek 4-D ride, but it was pretty lame. I was glad I didn't have to wait long for that one. :roll: The best show, though, was Water World. I mean, WOW! :D

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 27th, 2005, 1:50 pm

I still think Back To The Future is the most fun you can have in a simulator!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » July 27th, 2005, 1:54 pm

Shrek ride wasn't amazing, but it wasn't bad by any means.