War of the Worlds

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Uli » June 11th, 2005, 7:46 am

That seems to be a very neat soundtrack, but a few references to some calssics would definitely make it better -- just think about it:

Circle of the Force (that could actually be a medley :wink: )

Just can't wait to be a Jedi (Luke's musical number while training on Dagobah; could include some Dagobah supporting cast making a living pyramide :D )

Be prepared (Dart Vader singing. Oh, i'd really love to see this)

Hakuna Chewbacca (by Han and... what was the name of that furry friend of Solo?)

Can you feel the force tonight? (George Lucas and Rick McCallum in the end credits :lol: )

Eh? 8)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 11th, 2005, 9:06 am

Uli wrote:Be prepared (Dart Vader singing. Oh, i'd really love to see this)
Dart Vader - is that the Loonatics version of the character? ;)

Uli wrote:Hakuna Chewbacca

Can you feel the force tonight?
Genius. :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 11th, 2005, 3:00 pm

How about a "Star Wars" movie about a bunch of dumb Ewoks who get lost on some Island shortly before its blown up by droids. And C-3P0 and Luke could utter the following lines:

C-3P0: Oh, deer, I do believe that all Ewoks are extinct!

Luke: I can sense it. There are no Ewoks left ANYWHERE!

C-3P0: According to my programming, the chances of there being any living Ewoks left in the universe are 3,783,293,453,293,924,938,111,239,80 to 1.

Luke: I guess that means they're all dead.

C-3P0: So long, Ewoks, and thanks for all the fish!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Uli » June 13th, 2005, 3:51 am

Last edited by Uli on May 25th, 2007, 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 13th, 2005, 10:57 am

That seems to be a very neat soundtrack, but a few references to some calssics would definitely make it better -- just think about it:
Thanks, I like your songs a lot, especially "Just Can't Wait to be a Jedi!"

I also like your Edna Mode sig. :wink: "You push too hard, dah-ling!"

Jar-Jar's song: I owe him my life

Obi-Wan's song after Qui-Gon dies and he must train Anakin:

Padawan no more

Amidala's song in Clones, after she sees Anakin as an adult:

Seeing him Again
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Uli » June 14th, 2005, 4:14 am

Last edited by Uli on May 25th, 2007, 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 24th, 2005, 4:55 pm

I am SO excited about this movie. I think it's going to be wicked scary.

NO ONE does scary like Mr. S. 8)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 1st, 2005, 12:08 am

Without question the absolute worst movie I have ever sat in a theatre and watched. And i do not say that lightly.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » July 1st, 2005, 12:35 am

Are you talking about War of the Worlds? A Steven Spielberg film?

I haven't seen the film yet. Considering a number of the film's recent reviews, I may never see it, at least not anytime soon.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » July 1st, 2005, 1:33 pm

I think it looks good, and I'll probably enjoy it. As I do with like... almost all movies that have bad reviews or press.

Even though I hate Tom Cruise.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 1st, 2005, 1:41 pm

I'm going tonight. I'll let you know...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 2nd, 2005, 3:22 pm

Okay...weeeeeell...

I'd love to know at which point, James, that WOTW became "without question the absolute worst movie I have ever sat in a theatre and watched"??

As with Jaws and Jurassic (the two most like films in Spielberg's canon), the first half an hour didn't really hold much excitement, but was full of build up.

Then the aliens hit, and I for one got what I expected: an alien invasion as seen through the eyes of an average, everyday American family.

You want the media take on what would happen? Listen to Orson Welles. Want the military/top government bodies and thinkers version? See the 1953 George Pal movie.

Want a new slant on an old story so that things feel fresh, new, and not entirely sure of which direction things will go in? Spielberg's got you checked.

It's VERY funny, but hours after reading your message here, and literally JUST before I went into the theater, my sister sent me a phone text message which read "I have just seen the worst film in ages. It is called War Of The Worlds." Oh dear, I thought, as I took my seat.

Then it started and all the build up was cool. Granted the alien action was spread thin, but when it came it was STONKING!

BIG! LOUD! And that CGI - awesome, especially considering the amount of time in which this film was put together.

The story didn't always hold, and thinking back there weren't really any classic moments that will live with me the way moments from Jaws or Jurassic will, but actually sitting there watching, I was never really sure what was going to happen (apart from the predictable) and to who.

But at the end (and those who moan about what some are calling the abrupt ending should refer back to the radio treatment, the first movie and indeed Wells original novel, of course), I really felt as if I had come out the other side with these characters.

I felt little Stevie had gotten a bang on balance of the more seriously-toned thespian-strong pieces of late and his popcorn pictures where anything goes. The creepy alien inspecting the barn never got to the stressful point that the 'raptors searching for the kids in Jurassic did, but in many ways it was not that kind of film.

I found it very "real", as in being fairly realistic of what might happen should something like this occur. People died, there was real carnage, and the usual Spielbergian pratfalls were thankfully kept to a minimum.

So, as I said at the top of this reply: I can't believe that even 20 minutes in you were thinking what a pile of pooh this was - so what was the turning point? Second time the aliens attacked and it wasn't big enough?

Seems, as with my sister's response (and I'll ask her the same question when I next speak to her), that WOTW will strictly devide people on it. Can't say I loved, loved, loved it the way Jurassic struck me, but I did think that this was Cruise's best performance in a long time and a nice new spin on the old story.

Spielberg, as proven with Hook, will never simply tread old territory. He felt that the "big picture" version of this story had been done (in 1953, in Independence Day, which is a rip-off of the original idea, and even Mars Attacks, which was a spoof).

War Of The Worlds 2005 took the exact opposite approach and made a very big subject and small and intimate series of events, much like the story of Jack and Rose played out (though granted, with no romance!) in front of that bigger canvas.

After a lack-lustre summer of pointless Siths and boring Bats, this was a nice change. I am amazed at the absolute hatred for this movie that has sparked. What were people expecting?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » July 2nd, 2005, 3:39 pm

Ben wrote:After a lack-lustre summer of pointless Siths and boring Bats, this was a nice change. I am amazed at the absolute hatred for this movie that has sparked. What were people expecting?
The many people who liked Revenge of the Sith and Batman Begins may be directing the same question to you. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 5th, 2005, 10:50 am

I'm seeing this movie on Friday. VERY EXCITED. Also if you look on Rotton Tomatoes, it's mostly positive (73% fresh).
(in 1953, in Independence Day, which is a rip-off of the original idea, and even Mars Attacks, which was a spoof).
I just saw part of Independence Day yesterday. (being July 4 and all). It wasn't....that bad a film, but man, talk about plot holes and....terrible dialouge that makes James Cameron look like Shakespeare. ("I really don't think they flew 90 billion light years to come down here and start a fight.") It would be great film for Mystery Science Theater, that's for sure.

I think after WOTW, this film will look even more lame and illogical....how is it that all those country's armies are COMPLETELY FUNCTIONAL even after more than half the world is wiped out?? :roll:

I think the strongest feeling I got from ID4 now is how DATED it is. Pre-9/11 and all, the destruction never seems "real" at all, but just like a movie the whole way through. Like, oh look, even the dog survived. Uh huh. :roll:

I still like Bill Pullman's speech at the end, however, "We will not go quietly into the night...we're going to live on. Today is our independence day!"

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 5th, 2005, 12:17 pm

ShyViolet wrote:...I think after WOTW, this film will look even more lame and illogical....how is it that all those country's armies are COMPLETELY FUNCTIONAL even after more than half the world is wiped out?? :roll:
You'll be surprised at how illogical a movie can be later today.