War of the Worlds

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

War of the Worlds

Post by Josh » May 27th, 2005, 1:53 am

The full trailer for War of the Worlds is now online- and it's spectacular! Does anyone else feel like this film may be one of the biggest films of all time?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » May 27th, 2005, 2:09 am

Dunno about "biggest of all time"

But holy hell, it sure looks cool.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 27th, 2005, 6:36 am

Gawdammit, I gotta go find a link now! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 27th, 2005, 6:57 am

Okay... seen it.

Looks good, but nothing really new in terms of story or aliens. Still all gawping at things we can't see.

That said, I for one am pretty pumped up at this flick and am hoping it will be what Reveng Of The Siht wasn't.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 2nd, 2005, 5:37 pm

I hope there's some cool aliens. Not like those stupid ones in Independence Day. (Which in the end was kind of a letdown).

Hey, maybe it's just E.T. coming back! :P

I love almost all Spielberg films. I still don't understand why Minority Report wasn't a bigger hit.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » June 2nd, 2005, 6:13 pm

ShyViolet wrote:I still don't understand why Minority Report wasn't a bigger hit.
Because it opened against Lilo & Stitch. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 5th, 2005, 1:18 pm

That said, I for one am pretty pumped up at this flick and am hoping it will be what Reveng Of The Siht wasn't.

Did you spell "Siht" that way on purpose? :wink:

I also can't wait for this movie. I saw the full trailer, very cool. Tom looks amazing, a little older, but I think he looks better older anyway.
I bet this film will be Spielberg's first "scary" film since Jurassic Park! I think that next to making you cry Spielberg is the best at SCARING PEOPLE! His films have some of the most terrifying moments in movie history: (Jurassic Park, the Temple of Doom, Jaws, and even Minority Report and Lost World had their scary moments.)

Actually, now that I think about it Terminal was pretty scary too....half because of Tom H's and Catherine Zeta's horrible performances, the other half becasue of Tom's AWFUL "East European" accent which I didn't believe for a second. Even Robin Williams doing the Russian obsetrician in Nine Months was better.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 5th, 2005, 2:47 pm

Mickey A wrote:
ShyViolet wrote:I still don't understand why Minority Report wasn't a bigger hit.
Because it opened against Lilo & Stitch. :wink:
So true. :D
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 5th, 2005, 5:41 pm

I liked Lilo and Stitch but IMO the two sidekick alien characters belong in that other thread about the most annoying animated characers. Anyway, I want a Stitch doll. :wink:

Seriously, though, I though Minority Report was the better film by far. Lilo and Stitch was enjoyable but nothing like Disney's classic films; it doesn't even come close.

I think what really sabatouged Minority Report was that awful title! I mean unless you read the short story how on G-d's green Earth could you possibly understand what the "Minority Report" was supposed to be? It sounds like a movie about racial/ethnic tension or something. Maybe they wanted to be true to the story's origins, but they should have changed that title as soon as they the rights. Anything else would have been better--like "TimeCop" or something (Even though I know that there was a completed unrelated film with that exact title back in 1994, but you get my drift. :wink: )

Possible titles:

Future savior

Redball

TimePriests

Time guardians

The System is Perfect

Without Murder

Future Perfect

I don't know, one of those. You can think of your own substitutes....

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 5th, 2005, 7:44 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
Did you spell "Siht" that way on purpose? :wink:

I bet this film will be Spielberg's first "scary" film since Jurassic Park!
Wadda you think? ;)

Ys, just going by the shooting schedule and the way War Of The Worlds has been put together (and the team behind it) says that this is very much in JP territory.

Plus the ad campaign so far, in which we have not seen a clear image of the aliens is just like how they held off on the dinos.

Violet, with respect, ALL your alternate titles for Minority Report are stinkers! :)

The title refers to a missing document file that Cruise had to find in order to prove his innocence. It's clear from the scene with the mad scientist/plant woman, and she explains it and everything.

If Minority Report was Spielberg on Raiders form, then War/Worlds will be his new Jurassic Park, unless Tom Cruise's recent ramblings knock it of track by people who skip it 'cause he's been driving them mad with Scientology or how much he **loves** Katie Holmes.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 6th, 2005, 9:12 am

Violet, with respect, ALL your alternate titles for Minority Report are stinkers!
Oh.... :?
*feeling silly*
The title refers to a missing document file that Cruise had to find in order to prove his innocence. It's clear from the scene with the mad scientist/plant woman, and she explains it and everything.
Oh, I know that. I was just thinking for people who had never seen the film or read the story, maybe they'd be like: "Minority Report? What's that?" I know the MP was inside the precog Agatha and John had to "download it" to prove his innocence. That movie was great with all of its twists and turns... :)
BTW the plant lady was one of my favorite characters in that film.
he's been driving them mad with Scientology or how much he **loves** Katie Holmes.
Ugh. Tell me about it.

I still haven't seen ROTS yet, but I take your word for it that it's not as good as the original SW. Actually, I've seen the trailer a lot by now, and the part where Amidala goes: "Anakin, you're breaking my heart!" cracks me up every time. :twisted:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 6th, 2005, 7:31 pm

You know what Lucas should do now.

F*** it all over and do...

STAR WARS: THE MUSICAL

"A long, long time ago... in a galaxy far away..." :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » June 6th, 2005, 8:02 pm

oh my god.
I would watch the star wars musical millions of times.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » June 6th, 2005, 10:19 pm

Star Wars on Broadway- I can see it happening.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 7th, 2005, 12:56 pm

Star Wars on Broadway- I can see it happening.
sung to the tune of "Dr. Zaius" from the Simpsons planet of the apes musical number:

"Master Yoda, Master Yoda.
Master Yoda, Master Yoda.
Master Yoda, Master Yoda.
Oh, Master Yoda!

Master Yoda, Master Yoda!"

Possible musical numbers:

A Galaxy far Away

We are made to suffer--C3PO's and R2D2's duet

May the Force be with You (Obi-Wan)

I am a Jedi (Opening number in Return of the Jedi)

It's fun to be an Ewok (Ewok chorus)

I love you--I know (Love duet between Han and Leia right before Han gets frozen)

He was my father (Luke sings after Anakin dies)

Slavegirls (Jabba the Hut's number)

Just another day at Mos Eisley (Musical number at the Cantina, detailing all the "scum and villainy" that thrive there)

Tatooine (Luke's opening number in the first Star Wars)

I can't leave you (Anakin and mom's duet in the Phantom Menace)

Train the Boy (Qui-Gon says goodbye to Obi)

I can't leave you (reprise, Anakin's mom dies in his arms)