Madagascar

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 11th, 2008, 7:06 pm

We pretty much already knew that this was happening, but Katzenberg has "officially" confirmed "Madagascar 3":

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=51239
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 11th, 2008, 11:19 pm

...and <I>4</I> and <I>5</I> and <I>6</I> and <I>7</I> and ... ;)

Some of those comments are so right...UGH!

Actually, I wouldn't mind if JK was up front: we see this as a trilogy, etc, but they're not...this is <I>Star Wars</I> filmmaking: if the first is a hit, let's milk the franchise. You can bet that if the first Madagascar or Kung Fu Panda had been flops, the plan "all along" would have been for those to be one off movies.

Sigh... :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » December 18th, 2008, 4:11 pm

According to this article, "Madagascar 3" will be the last in the series and this comes straight from Katz himself.

www.newsarama.com/film/081218-katzenber ... rks-3.html

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 18th, 2008, 5:11 pm

I love that they have to point that out, "Katzenberg said so himself".

I could live with that...they do need to get back to New York, or at least resolve the story to a final point even if they stay out in the wild, and a third movie would cap it off. I can't say the Madagascars have had me dying to see another one, but knowing there's a point to it would be a new angle for these films! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » December 30th, 2008, 1:41 pm

droosan-What happened in Kimba The White Lion?.
Anyway the 2nd movie is even better then the first one,the story was great and there were funny moments (Like the pictures of Skipper and that figure of a girl and what Melman said to Moto Moto (Espically the look on Gloria's face,it was priceless).
Althought-
I"m suprised and sorta disappointed that Alex,Marty,Melman and Gloria don't go back to New York but that's explain me why Julian and Muriece were in New York,I wonder if the other zebras don't drive Marty crazy
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

Banned
Banned

Madagascar Penguins Christmas Caper Question/(Glitch?)

Post by Christmas_Boy42 » April 2nd, 2009, 9:28 pm

Hi

I was hoping someone here may know the answer to this question.

I picked up Madagascar 1 this week at the Best Buy sale and have a copy with the case that says the Penguin's Christmas Caper is on the disc but I have searched all over the menus and I don't see it listed anywhere. Can anyone tell me where it's supposed to be and did I get a disc packaged in the wrong case or what?

Thanks!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Viscountesstiara » April 3rd, 2009, 4:00 am

The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I ordered it from best buy expecting to get the the bonus short and they sent the one without it, twice! Neither had the short and when i spoke to customer service they acted as if they didnt have a clue. I don't know why its so hard to come by a copy with this short on it. I'ts very frustrating. I've seen a copy with the short on it. It's not hard to find. I would take it back and exchange it or make them give you your money back.

Banned
Banned

Post by Christmas_Boy42 » April 3rd, 2009, 10:00 am

Does Dreamwoeks have a DVD customer service like Disney does? Best Buy wont wxchange it because it's open and they say it's not defective, I just don't know what I'm doing. The package says it's on it so it's false advertising if you ask me.

Just where do you find the short if it isn't hard to find? I mean where do you get a disc that does contain it since you can't trust the packaging?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Viscountesstiara » April 3rd, 2009, 2:11 pm

I don't know if Dreamworks has a customer service number. I'm gonna look at the dvd my nieces have with the short on it and see what differences in the packaging are. I really want that short. I think they have it on itunes, but I don't want it on an ipod. When I look on the
dvd i'll let you know what to look for so you can get the right copy
Patiently waiting for "The Princess and the Frog."

Banned
Banned

Post by Christmas_Boy42 » April 3rd, 2009, 3:56 pm

The DVD case says the short is included. My disc has no art and is like the Lilo & Stich and other Paramount DVDs I've seen. I bought a bunch of Dreamworks ones this week at the sale and all had the bland disc art.

Banned
Banned

Post by Christmas_Boy42 » April 4th, 2009, 10:20 pm

I have more to add to the mystery. I checked out the versions sold at Wal*Mart and when my case says the Penguin Christmas Caper is on it their version (in fullscreen) has the "I like to move it, move it" music video is included. I was under the impression that this was on all versions of the DVD too so why is it getting a special shout out?

To make matters even more irritating, Sam's Club is selling all the Dreamworks in fullscreen only with their bonus Wal*Mart discs. I had forgotten Flushed Away had a bonus disc but knew over the Hedge had one. They had a bonus Penguins disc on the first Madagascar disc that had the Penguin short. I would have just got these but they're in full screen. Wal*Mart always pulls this crap, puts the bonus disc on full screen only. I also wonder what companies like Dreamworks and Disney will eventually do with that bonus material made for these gimmick discs. You think we'll ever see them on a reissued version as standard bonus material?

By the way, what was on that Cars bonus disc version 2 that Wal*Mart was selling? It was in and out within a week (another reason I hate their gimmicks. They pull them too damn fast. ) I have their first version bonus disc but wasn't sure what was on the second? Them having an "upgraded" gimmick makes me even more irritated.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 5th, 2009, 8:12 am

Basically "gimmick discs" are there to entice the buyer into going into a certain store during release week. By now everyone should know to basically go and buy your titles in this first week to benefit from lower prices, added extras and special packaging like slipcases or colored disc art.

After the initial printings, these kinds of things fall by the wayside, especially the bonus discs and slipcases. When it comes to disc art, DreamWorks titles have never used full color printing; they have always been the "bland" gray silkscreen basics.

As for the bonus discs, usually these things are very lightweight additions anyway...nothing specific in the way of real collectors' supplements that would ever be played more than once, so you're not missing out on much.

Quite often these "exclusives" do indeed show up on reissues, or as we're seeing more of now, on their hi-def Blu-ray versions. For the record I believe the Madagascar BD <I>does</I> include the Christmas Caper short on the disc in hi-def. One might also expect it to show up on the eventual DVD release of the Penguins TV episodes.

As for the DVD you have not being "defective"...well in my book if the packaging states something should be on there and it isn't, that's a defect. You have the right to return an item that is not fully as advertised or sold, so just keep complaining at the store you picked it up from. Or contact DreamWorks directly and make an email complaint.

As a newbie I'll let you off for now, but in your slight anger-toned messages, please keep the language soft...we're a family board that likes to keep to a PG or so "rating" and I'd hate to have to boot someone so new for their continued angry tone and language. Thanks.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 5th, 2009, 4:03 pm

Ben wrote:When it comes to disc art, DreamWorks titles have never used full color printing; they have always been the "bland" gray silkscreen basics.
My copy of Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron would disagree. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 5th, 2009, 5:55 pm

Sprit!? That's <I>it</I>!? You wanna throw a generalization at me and Spirit is it!??

Okay...you got me. My copy is boxed up right now so I couldn't check easily, but you'd have to agree that this was the one rare one that <I>didn't</I> come with the gray silkscreen print. ;)

Banned
Banned

Post by Christmas_Boy42 » April 6th, 2009, 1:54 am

" By now everyone should know to basically go and buy your titles in this first week to benefit from lower prices, added extras and special packaging like slipcases or colored disc art."

But the way the ecconomy has been the last few years sometimes you just can't do that. That's the boat I found myself in. These 7.50 and now Target has a 6.99 Dreamworks deal, are just too low to pass by.

"After the initial printings, these kinds of things fall by the wayside, especially the bonus discs and slipcases. When it comes to disc art, DreamWorks titles have never used full color printing; they have always been the "bland" gray silkscreen basics."

I've never had trouble finding slipcases if I look around enough. All of the hand drawn Dreamworks films and the first two Shrek movies have full color disc art. You didn't get those in the UK? I picked up Madagascar 2 and Kung Fu Panda today and they were in the bland gray silkscreen as well.

"As for the bonus discs, usually these things are very lightweight additions anyway...nothing specific in the way of real collectors' supplements that would ever be played more than once, so you're not missing out on much."

The only features on such discs I care about are new animated shorts. Then I feel I have a complete archive on each film.

"Or contact DreamWorks directly and make an email complaint."

You have a number or link for that because Best Buy wont exchange it when they say all the discs are the same.

"As a newbie I'll let you off for now, but in your slight anger-toned messages, please keep the language soft...we're a family board that likes to keep to a PG or so "rating" and I'd hate to have to boot someone so new for their continued angry tone and language. Thanks"

I'm hardly new and I'm not using an angry tone at all. I'm more frustrated than angry. And what language are you talking about? I didn't say anything dirty at all. As for a PG rating, you can get away with some fairly raunchy stuff in a PG rating, the Dreamworks films are a prime example so again I have no idea what you're talking about.