Isle of Dogs

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Isle of Dogs

Post by Randall » March 24th, 2018, 9:51 am

This film had not really been on my radar, but my interest level has just jumped.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 25th, 2018, 8:25 am

Got the Blu-ray down for a day one pickup. I loved Kubo and Mr Fox and this seems right along those same kind of lines, so I’m glad it doesn’t sound as if it disappoints.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 28th, 2018, 1:03 am

IoD apparently did really well over the weekend (in 'per-theater' box office) .. and will be expanding incrementally over the coming weeks to ~1500 screens nationwide, by April 13th.

I'll definitely be seeing it again, this week .. and taking my brother, in tow..! :mrgreen:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 25th, 2018, 1:01 am

Saw this last week...absolutely riveting, very beautiful film. It even outdoes Mr. Fox, quite a feat. Right up there with Royal Tenenbaums in my opinion. Whimsical, sad, dreamy, hilarious, action-packed but with plenty of quieter, intimate moments. (Also the entire voice cast was outstanding. Funny, when I first heard Jeff Goldblum’s voice I was like: “OMG! So weird!”, but then I forgot it was him and was able to focus on the character.).

Also, it has a unique, amazing look (more muted colors for much of the early part of the film mixed with brighter/warmer ones for the emotional climax.). The usual “angular” and “symmetrical” look of an Anderson film is there, quite fitting for the complex themes of the film; joy, grief, anger, fear, etc...All I can say is: you want a wonderfully designed and animated Anderson film that’s even better than The Fantastic Mr. Fox? Look no further. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 25th, 2018, 1:31 am

Ben posted this “What if Wes Anderson did X-Men”? video on the YouTube thread a few years ago. Couldn’t help but remember it! Mind-bogglingly brilliant! Lol. :)

https://youtu.be/UngE0qn3VRY
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!