CGI Smurfs movie!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Re: CGI Smurfs movie!

Post by GeorgeC » March 18th, 2011, 11:44 pm

It's like talking to a wall, Dacey...

I seriously wonder if he's communicating in the same dimension as the rest of us!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 19th, 2011, 12:34 am

Okay, let it alone now...

(But Dacey, your comment was comedy gold. :) )

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 19th, 2011, 12:56 am

*bows*

I've got plenty more "smurf" jokes where that came from. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 21st, 2011, 5:54 am

Arrghhh...here we smurf again...

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 21st, 2011, 4:04 pm

Oh, smurf up all of you!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 23rd, 2011, 10:48 pm

I had a dream last night where I saw this movie and left the theater so happy. I remember that I was going to tell everyone I knew to run to the theater and see it ASAP. It was that good.

I have the strangest feeling my dream won't come true. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 23rd, 2011, 11:12 pm

Around 1988, I had a dream that a new Star Wars movie had come out, and that its visual effects were disappointingly fake-looking. One of the most vivid images I'd remembered from that dream was of a mirror-finish 'chrome-plated' spaceship.

That dream -- unfortunately -- came mostly true. :|

Eleven years later. :shock:

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 24th, 2011, 12:11 am

So many things wrong with the Prequels and you worried about fake-looking smurfs???!?!??

What are you on... Smurf?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » March 26th, 2011, 8:59 am

I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but does anybody else think the pushing-back of The Smurfs release date reek of what Fox did with The Squeakquel? Originally set for March and then pushed back to December to sabotage The Princess and the Frog's box-office chances.

I have a feeling Sony pushed Smurfs back, so it could lessen the grosses on Winnie the Pooh?*

*Although, Pooh would have made a profit by then, thanks to the earlier European release.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 26th, 2011, 10:47 am

Pooh will only make a profit if people go see. But Potter is the bigger thread to Pooh...either from people saving their money to see it, or by going two or more times.

Pooh is already in the doo-doo, thanks to Disney's excellent release date timing. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » March 26th, 2011, 1:58 pm

The Squeakquel wanted the prime Christmas date (among other studio delays), for the same reason that Frog wanted it, but Fox thought they had "seniority" on the date, from having other Christmas-week franchise hits.

As for Smurfs, nobody seems to be mentioning Pooh, the articles seem to be mentioning the Summer-Blockbuster competition (AvC, Conquest reboot)--And one of the reasons we HAVE Pooh vs. Potter is that studios still believe in "counterprogramming" a kiddy title with a high profile action release.
July has become the Blockbuster month, while August has become the month for one last family title to clean up after the summer hits (where Despicable Me did most of its business last year)...Either Sony thought they had a BIG title to counterprogram, or they wanted to take a page out of Despicable's book and start a few weeks before August to get the word of mouth going. (They could have taken July 22, but nobody wanted to counterprogram Captain America.)
They are, shall we say, a little optimistic. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 30th, 2011, 4:39 pm

While browsing a local bookstore, I discovered that the original Smurfs comic-strip stories by Peyo have just been re-published as nice english-language book collections by Papercutz -- in both softcover and hardcover editions! There's five volumes available now .. with more coming this summer! :)

Peyo's stories have a charming 'atmosphere' which the Hanna-Barbera cartoon series often reached for, but never quite achieved (although, the TV cartoon is still quite good, by 1980's TV standards).

While I'm unsure whether I'll bother with seeing the movie, I'm very glad to see that it has led to the original comics getting exposure to english-language readers.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 30th, 2011, 5:44 pm

The English-translated Peyo Smurfs book I saw had the story that introduced Smurfette...

The H-B Smurfs episode that was adapted from that story followed it fairly closely. The difference was mainly in the ending of the original story. Quite a bit different.

The Smurfs were also not quite as nice and understanding as the H-B adaptation but still very much a communist dictatorship led by Papa Smurf! :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 30th, 2011, 11:16 pm

I may pick up a Papercutz volume or two. They did a $1 Smurfs comic a few months ago, so I snagged that just to check out Peyo's work. Likely, I need to try more to get a real feel for it, though. I remember the albums that came out years ago, and wouldn't mind getting a few of those if I found a bunch for a good price.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 23rd, 2011, 5:35 pm

Also just posted in the new disc thread:

Not a US release, but I literally bumped into this the other day in a store display and was surprised to say the least!

The Smurfs And The Magic Flute:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smurfs-Magic-Fl ... 003OUV1KQ/

While there are some comments about the transfer (though one person mistakes this for a Blu-ray, so no wonder he was disappointed!) it's good to see this come out at all, and for the price (less than the average price of a drink in an English bar nowadays) you can't complain.

UPDATE:
My bad...apparently there is a BD edition too - phew, lucky I saw it in time:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smurfs-Magic-Fl ... 0040KCRRK/

Just FYI, it's Zone B locked. :( But still low-priced! :)