CGI Smurfs movie!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Re: CGI Smurfs movie!

Post by Dacey » March 11th, 2011, 2:44 pm

But Eric..."Yogi," unfortunately, was very leggy. It made it to the $100 million after an opening of less than $20 million. Sadly, this is impressive.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 11th, 2011, 3:58 pm

It opened second--To Warner, a third-place opening would be "Instant execution order by firing-squad".
(They're still a bit tetchy after Cats & Dogs 2.) :wink:

Right now, due to the long time it takes to actually make a hybrid comedy, we're just cleaning up the stragglers left over from when Alvin was popular.
(Not counting the Dreamworks Mr. Peabody movie, which had already been around for ten years, and Jeffrey was on a garage-sale spree to stock up his cupboard.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » March 11th, 2011, 9:11 pm

Dacey wrote:So...thoughts on the new "Smurfs" trailer...

Does anyone have anything good to say here? Besides the fact that the blend of CGI and live-action is very good, I mean.
I like that they acknowledge that the Smurfs are from Belgium.

Otherwise, I think it's obvious which adaptation of a beloved Belgian comic character will be the good one this year.

Hint: It's directed by Sir Spielberg. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 11th, 2011, 11:19 pm

My 10 month old housemate was transfixed by the trailer and squealed with delight a number of times.

My first impression was that it might make an alright DVD watch for a Smurfs fan like me. Unless the reviews are spectacular I won't be running to the cinema to see it. BUT at least the trailer left a good impression on me, unlike Yogi which made me wonder why they bothered and that the only way I'll ever see it is if my niece and nephew are watching it and I walk into the loungeroom at the same time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 13th, 2011, 7:05 am

estefan wrote:I like that they acknowledge that the Smurfs are from Belgium.

Otherwise, I think it's obvious which adaptation of a beloved Belgian comic character will be the good one this year.

Someday .. I would dearly love to see an animated Natacha movie.

.. and my hope is that it looks nowhere nearly as awful as this pile of Smurf..! :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 13th, 2011, 1:48 pm

That's what I love about Droo. Those eclectic tastes. I like that artwork you posted. I'm not to familiar with most European comics, but would like to be.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 13th, 2011, 7:18 pm

Their eyes burn my soul. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » March 14th, 2011, 1:27 pm

That Smurfs trailer really was awful. I don't see how anyone could think otherwise. It was more cringe-inducing than I really thought it was ever going to be. And the CGI does not really look very good, the Smurfs don't look real at all, they just look like blue play-dough come to life, like very unfinished, un-detailed CGI.

And the voices, ugh, I know George Lopez is voicing a Smurf, but there's no reason to have a Mexican Smurf that sounds exactly like him. And all the jokes are just using the word "smurf" or "enchanted forest" instead of the gross words or curse words that would usually be said.

Yea, it's just a trailer, but that will have to be the worst that's in the movie for the movie to actually be good at all.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 15th, 2011, 12:58 am

I don't see how anyone could think otherwise.
I would try to explain but Tangled has taught me not to bother.
And all the jokes are just using the word "smurf" or "enchanted forest" instead of the gross words or curse words that would usually be said.
I'll admit it's been proably a good decade since I've watched an episode but I thought the SMurfs regularly substituted smurf for wholesome words and 'rude words like damn and hell. Which really is all that's happening in the trailer. Re-watch if you dare and notice how words like crap, damn and hell fit perfectly well in most situations, it's only your mind putting in swear words.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » March 15th, 2011, 2:54 pm

I thought everyone would surely see how bad the trailer is, but if you liked it, go ahead and explain, I know less about the Smurfs than Disney so I likely won't have anything to say back.

But "enchanted forest" can't mean anything different than what it implies, and since you know what we are talking about by curse words, that means your own mind already realized how those words could be curse words, so it's not just us. And damn and hell are still curse words.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 16th, 2011, 2:51 pm

But smurf isn't.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » March 17th, 2011, 2:30 pm

Yea, well, if I offended Bill because he actually liked the trailer, I'm sorry. But I find it a far cry from the more innocent charm of the original Smurfs, at least as far as I can see.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 17th, 2011, 4:56 pm

That's YOUR opinion...

You don't seem to realize other people have their own opinions.
It gets to be an ugly mess when you impose yours on them.
THAT'S why you got teased in the other threads...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » March 18th, 2011, 10:31 pm

I agree that's true, but to a point.

When talking about what Disney did in the past, which set examples for how their new films should be, there was a very clear and obvious breaking of the rules and breaking of what is Disney. So while I agree some things are opinion, when it comes to keeping Disney, well, Disney, I'm going to say what I feel is truth.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 18th, 2011, 11:08 pm

Son of a smurf...
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."