Condorito & other miscellaneous animated fare

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Condorito & other miscellaneous animated fare

Postby droosan » January 16th, 2018, 1:32 am

Currently in limited release in U.S. movie theaters is Condorito: The Movie, adapted from the famous Chilean comic books by Pepo:

The movie is presented in Spanish language, with english subtitles .. and is apparently only in ~140 theaters nationwide (fortunately, one of them happens to be in Burbank..! 8) )

For a first animated feature film (from Aronnax Animation Studio in Peru), it's pretty darned impressive .. comparing favorably with the design & animation quality seen from Blue Sky or Illumination, and with a quirky humorous storyline reminiscent of Warner Animation Group's Storks. I'm certainly gonna keep an eye out for whatever Aronnax does next..!
Last edited by droosan on January 17th, 2018, 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Re: Condorito

Postby Ben » January 16th, 2018, 6:58 am

Did. Not. See. That. Coming.

I jumped in given Droo's exuberance, and was half expecting a Ratatouille/Turbo rip-off about a little bird making his mark in a different world, when the aliens arrived and everything went wacko! I actually enjoyed Storks a lot (certainly more than any of the Lego movies), so this would be right up my alley, although I’d liken the production value to be closer to a Eurotoon than that of Blue Sky or even Illumination, though better than the usual Weinstein/Lionsgate product they like to dub so much. Don’t get why this didn’t get a dub, though...with the better values and an English-graphics trailer, they might have had a shot at countering whatever the new Fifty Shades is called and nabbing the post-Paddington family audience in February!? Seems like a no brainer?

I’ll keep an eye out for a disc of this whenever it hits these shores. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Condorito

Postby droosan » January 16th, 2018, 8:41 am

Yeah, a fairer comparison in terms of animation quality may be to the likes of A Monster in Paris or The Nut Job films. :oops:

And the plot is 'paper-thin' .. but definitely keeps things moving with fun sight gags and 'out-of-nowhere' twists on movie tropes. There's even a fleeting bit of 'heart' now and then, which provide sympathetic moments for the alien emperor and Condorito's prospective mother-in-law.

There were about 10 people in the audience of the screening I attended .. though, that was on a Monday evening. An english dub certainly may have helped the movie to have broader appeal .. but it was still rather enjoyable! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Condorito & other miscellaneous animated fare

Postby droosan » January 17th, 2018, 1:13 am

Another animated feature I've been hoping to see stateside -- which apparently does exist in an 'english-dubbed' form -- is the french movie Zombillénium, an adaptation of the BD album series by cartoonist/designer extraordinaire Arthur de Pins (who also makes his directorial debut with this film!)

The story concerns a safety inspector who discovers the local 'monster-themed' park isn't merely staffed by people in costumes .. and finds himself cursed, and unable to leave the park as a result!

The movie was released in France last October, and is slated for french Blu-ray & DVD sometime in February. The existence of an english-language trailer had me hoping it would come to the U.S. eventually .. but so far, I've seen no news on that front. Perhaps the english version saw a U.K. or Australian theatrical release..? :|

I'm hopeful that it might at least get a Blu-ray release in Canada .. which is how I was able to get my hands on an NTSC 'Region-A' Blu-ray of Ballerina (as opposed to the slightly-goofier Leap! english dub of that film).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Postby droosan » April 18th, 2018, 4:32 am

Just a heads-up that Condorito: The Movie has been released on home video in North America .. on DVD only; not on Blu-ray. The DVD does contain an optional english-language dialogue track, however..! 8) This movie was goofy fun, and is well-worth seeking out. Now, if only the comic books on which it's based were as easy to find ..

Also just (finally!) released on Region 1 DVD -- and also, alas, not on Blu-ray -- is Animalympics, the 1980 musical TV special spoofing the Olympic games in general .. and annoying sports commentary in particular. Definitely a '70s time-capsule, of sorts, which hasn't aged all that well .. but still a fun time -- and something unavailable commercially in the U.S. since the days of VHS!

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby Ben » April 18th, 2018, 11:52 am

Really, really odd that I just though about this again the other night and was going to go hunting for some obscure Euro Blu-ray or something.

Nice to see this (Animalympics) finally make it to DVD, might have to buy to retire my aged VHS. This got a LOT of play back in the day and my sister and I still make reference and quote lines from it; we were mentioning Keen Hacksaw just last weekend!

Big fun, and a very cool picture in its single feature-length version (it was originally a two-parter TV special) and featuring a host of later well-known animation talent. Clever writing, a pretty good story arc (considering it’s made up of lots of different segments) and more than decent songs of the time make this a keeper.

Such a shame it isn’t better known or remembered...thanks for pointing this out, Droo! Now I can go watch the Calamari Brothers once again! :D

Animated Views Staff
Animated Views Staff

Postby Dacey » April 18th, 2018, 3:04 pm

Ironically, its release was ruined in the states by the US boycotting the Olympics that year (which I think is why it became a TV special instead).
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Postby EricJ » April 18th, 2018, 7:44 pm

But director Steve Lisberger got enough attention from Disney to go on to bigger projects...Some 80's video-game thingy his studio was pitching, wasn't it? ;)

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby Ben » Today, 2:32 am

Tron actually makes his debut right at the start of Animalympics... :)