Avengers, Justice League and more in READY PLAYER ONE!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Re: Avengers, Justice League and more in READY PLAYER ONE!

Postby Ben » April 10th, 2018, 2:53 am

Funny enough, we’re running The Shining tonight in our theater for a friend who - gasp! - has never seen it (not as bad as not having seen Jaws, though, wink-wink, Rand!). When he asked to see it, I did think "oh, good, that’ll prime him for when we get the RPO 4K in a couple of months!" :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Postby EricJ » April 10th, 2018, 4:02 pm

Ben wrote:Funny enough, we’re running The Shining tonight in our theater for a friend who - gasp! - has never seen it (not as bad as not having seen Jaws, though, wink-wink, Rand!). When he asked to see it, I did think "oh, good, that’ll prime him for when we get the RPO 4K in a couple of months!" :)

Millennials' ideas of Great 80's Movies have atrophied to a certain set number of seven or eight (hence the "Fast Times was not a John Hughes movie" reference), and The Three Scenes Anyone Ever Remembers From The Shining seem to have joined the list next to Back to the Future and The Princess Bride.
(Now, as to whether they remember any other line from "Say Anything" besides the holding up of a boom box...)

Still, as someone who actually was alive to have been in a theater in the 80's to recognize all the references (unlike your average ABC-TV rerun of "The Goldbergs" :roll: ), I did give a smug smirk that everyone in the theater recognized the Shining refs, but not one person noticed that the Orb spell was Merlin's dragon-spell from "Excalibur".
Looks like that movie didn't make the Millennial-memory cut--I remember having to tell kids to go rent that movie instead of the new King Arthur one. But I'll be hopeful and assume I wasn't the only one to notice Sho ninja-throwing the Glaive from "Krull" in the climax.
Last edited by EricJ on April 10th, 2018, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby Randall » April 10th, 2018, 7:43 pm

Ben wrote:Funny enough, we’re running The Shining tonight in our theater for a friend who - gasp! - has never seen it (not as bad as not having seen Jaws, though, wink-wink, Rand!). When he asked to see it, I did think "oh, good, that’ll prime him for when we get the RPO 4K in a couple of months!" :)

So, do you recommend I see The Shining too, then? My HD-DVD is still in shrink-wrap.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Postby EricJ » April 10th, 2018, 7:52 pm

Randall wrote:So, do you recommend I see The Shining too, then? My HD-DVD is still in shrink-wrap.

If you haven't yet,
A), it's good to add to your Stanley Kubrick IQ, and
B ) it's good to see the Three Scenes Everyone Remembers now in their original creepy form, before they're spoiled by being turned into goofy pop-ref SFX videogame-friendly action sequences. (Warning: We get the line "But there weren't any zombies in The Shining!" in RP1.)
Better yet, go out and rent the Blu-ray, and throw the HDDVD out while it's still in its shrink-wrap. :lol:

Apart from that, it's not absolutely your best Kubrick, Nicholson, or King movie of the litter, but if it's been absorbed into 80's Pop-Cult Lore now, better to do your film-class homework than be spoilered by hipster goofballs.
(As with the otherwise funny Academy Museum ad from this year's Oscar ceremony: )

Sort of like watching Citizen Kane and Empire Strikes Back now, before some idiot makes "Rosebud" and "Father" jokes.

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby Ben » April 11th, 2018, 2:00 am

Um...I’ve a feeling it may creep the crap out of you Rand! ;)