1986 Transformers the movie returns to the big-screen!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

1986 Transformers the movie returns to the big-screen!

Post by gaastra » August 1st, 2018, 2:58 pm

Complete with a new look at the bumblebee movie and the stan bush 1986 music video "the touch" as a extra!

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/9 ... -september

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: 1986 Transformers the movie returns to the big-screen!

Post by gaastra » August 1st, 2018, 2:58 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 2nd, 2018, 3:39 am

Paramount certainly wants to play the 80's vibe to sell the Bumblebee movie as its own entity, away from, y'know, those other Transformers movies.

Now, let's get a look at the new audience's faces when they find out the '86 TF:TM was the movie that Hasbro made to kill off the first line of toy characters to make room for the new ones. That's okay, Optimus Prime was already out of the 10's movie series by this point.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 2nd, 2018, 4:15 am

Ah, the good old days when you could get Orson Welles, Leonard Nimoy, Robert Stack...and Judd Nelson in the same cast.

And poor Eric Idle (actually top billed!) doesn’t even get a credit!

Funny that this was co-pro'd by Marvel Animation. I wonder how all that complicated mess of tangled rights works out in Disney's favor nowadays...?

Word is on the new Bumblebee movie that, while it does fold into the Bay movies, it actually stands alone and is a stealth approach to a complete reboot that leaves it open to be the first in the Hasbroverse that they’ve been so desperate to get going.

So if it doesn’t do that great or bombs, it’s a prequel. If it’s a hit, then it’s a non-Bay connected franchise reset that goes off on its own timeline...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 2nd, 2018, 3:53 pm

The Transformers movie is such an odd duck. Even by today's standards, it's extremely violent for a supposed "kids film," and I'm guessing the only way Hasbro possibly got away with it was because "they were robots."

I am loving how Bumblebee looks. It looks extremely close to the cartoon (well, at least as close as it can while still being a grand big budget blockbuster), but Christmas is looking way too crowded for its own good this year, with Mortal Engines (with the trailer looking spectacular when seen in a theater), Spider-Verse, Aquaman, Poppins, Battle Angel and this all opening within days of each other, along with the usual quirky awards season contenders. Poppins and Aquaman I suspect will both be fine regardless, but those other films may want to consider moving to spring.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 3rd, 2018, 4:50 am

Too packed as you say...unfortunately I think Mortal and Battle will both flop, with those audiences going mostly out of curiosity to see Aqua and Spidey. I’m hoping Bumble will be okay...intrigued to see what a big studio Travis Knight movie looks like!

Poppins will be okay as it’s its own kind of thing, and opening on Christmas essentially gives it the new year crowds to itself.

Dystopia doesn’t really sell at Christmas...and for general audiences those other films look too Ghost In The Shell or close to other things they have already seen. As you say, they’d make more of a killing in the February to April corridor.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 3rd, 2018, 6:22 am

It's the two studio traditions: There's movies being SOLD at Christmas, like Mary Poppins--
And there's movies being dumped at Christmas, like Mortal, Battle Angel, and Aquaman.
(Yes, Spidey would probably be better as Sony's comic-book entry for the March Geek-Week stakes, it'd have just as much competition, but no, there's studio pride at stake. And for those who believe in such theories, Mortal has this year's Weekend of Death, on the 14th...Good luck.)

I'm honestly not sure which one Bumblebee is, but it's getting some surprisingly good reaction, due in large part to having no Michael Bay in it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 3rd, 2018, 11:48 am

Too packed as you say...unfortunately I think Mortal and Battle will both flop, with those audiences going mostly out of curiosity to see Aqua and Spidey.
That last battle angel trailer was really well liked and turned people around on the movie so don't count it out yet.

For the record--

It now has the week before--

Spider-man
Mortal engines

Same day--

bumblebee
Mary poppins return
Aquaman
battle angel
Homes and Watson
Welcome to marwen (the living dolls movie based on a true story)

3 days later

Unknown WB film

Next few weeks--

Eli
Hellboy reboot
Dogs way home
What men want (what woman want 2)
Glass

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » July 30th, 2021, 8:42 pm

It's getting a theatre release again.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/Tra ... 2021-09-26