Abrams Live action remake of "Your Name"

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Abrams Live action remake of "Your Name"

Post by gaastra » December 26th, 2018, 8:55 pm

Your name is the highest grossing animated film in japan knocking out spirited away (great film) after 16 years!

Abrams is making a live action film! Here is a update. Film is still a go!

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ew/.141281

Animated trailer.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Abrams Live action remake of "Your Name"

Post by Randall » December 26th, 2018, 10:33 pm

Just got the Blu-ray, after hearing all the hype. Lord knows when I'll get around to watching it...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 26th, 2018, 11:07 pm

Randall wrote:Just got the Blu-ray, after hearing all the hype. Lord knows when I'll get around to watching it...
The original? It's.....okay, but seems to have done most of its business on the fact that most adult mainstream Japanese don't want to be seen watching anime series (that's for nasty otaku, who sit in their basement apartments playing video games!), but have no complaints against watching one-off anime features, if they get critical acclaim.
Kind of like WE did, back in the 90's-00's--Remember when people thought they were "into anime" if they rented Paprika or saw Howl's Moving Castle in a theater?

As for why we're getting a remake, it's partly the fear of a foreign hit, and, like the Ghost in the Shell movie, the fact that it's one of the only anime titles Hollywood producers have heard of.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 27th, 2018, 7:34 pm

Saw this a couple of years ago...the only way I can see it working for broad American audiences is to make it a sci-fi comedy, which would kind of kill what worked about it...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 15th, 2019, 8:50 pm

In this reimagined version, a young Native American woman living in a rural area and a young man from Chicago
...OHHHhhh! I WONDERED how an American version was going to handle the Japanese movie's plot revolving around an ancient rural shrine.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » November 1st, 2022, 12:00 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 2nd, 2022, 2:26 pm

New director. This is the third one! Considering how I feel on Raya, doesn't exactly give hope.