Sin City

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Sin City

Post by GeorgeC » April 3rd, 2005, 10:16 pm

I liked the way the film looked, but that's about the only thing that worked well most of the time.

It's a nice stylized black-and-white look with occasional splashes of color where necessary to punctuate the violence and sleaziness of baSIN City. This is not the first time this kind of technique has been used (hand-tinting was very common in early black-and-white silent films and it's been done digitally in several music videos), but it's the first time a major feature film has used the technique to capture a TRUE comic book look since maybe Dick Tracy (1990). I really wouldn't count Sky Captain, The Hulk, or Spider-Man as attempting comic book looks.

The best two actors in the film were Bruce Willis (Hartigan) and Mickey Rourke (Marv). Their characters were the heart and soul of this film and the most humane in spite of the violence they're forced to commit to save or avenge loved ones. Elijah Wood is also particularly effective as the creepy Kevin whose nocturnal activities I will not divulge as they're a crucial subplot in the film. Jessica Alba also does the best acting I've ever seen from her as a sympathetic downtown club entertainer.

I have to say that the worst acting and the worst lines in this film go to the actors who played Hartigan's partner in the movie and the two hoodlums working for a corrupt Sin City politician. It's awful, comic book dialogue that really should have been rewritten for the movie. People just don't talk like that in real life and it's very hard to sit through such lousy dialogue and acting. I can understand the visual stylization of the film but I really think screenwriters and filmmakers ought to grow up and NOT write like bad comic books. This stuff may read well in the the four-color and black-and-white magazines, but it sure doesn't sound good coming out of anybody's mouth!

I don't expect this film to stay number at the box office for very long. It just isn't a mainstream film... It's more cultish and should appeal more to people that like the Quentin Tarantino-style of film as opposed to a more mainstream film like Spider-Man or The Incredibles. Be aware that the four (or five?) stories that make up the film's threadline are NOT viewed in chronological order. Characters that die EARLIER in the movie pop up hearty and hale in later segments of the movie. If you can keep that in mind, the chronology will be less confusing.

It's nice to see chances taken in films with more mature subject matter and endings that aren't always completely happy, but a lot of experiments are shot down by plain bad writing and horrid dialogue. Sin City isn't a completely horrible film, but it's not the best film I've seen in the last year, either. That said, it makes much better use of digital technology than Sky Captain did with better and more enthusiastic performances from most of the film cast to boot, too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » April 3rd, 2005, 10:44 pm

So anyway, I loved everything about the film.
It was damned amazing.
So yep. My thoughts on it.

GeorgeC

Skip Sin City next week & save $ for Sin City Deluxe Ed.

Post by GeorgeC » August 12th, 2005, 4:05 pm

That's right... a few months down the road, a deluxe 2-disc set for Sin City is being released.

I really, really hate this new aspect of the home video business.

I suspect more than a few collectors hate it, too, after they learn too late about the deluxe editions. Pays to keep up with this stuff online.

More news about it at http://dvd.ign.com/articles/641/641160p1.html courtesy of The Digital Bits.

So far, nothing's being said about whether the deluxe edition has the theatrical cut on it, but I suspect it does. Director Rodriguez is saying there will be an extended of ALL three sequences in the Sin City feature.

There's also another Sin City movie coming out with the next two years.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 12th, 2005, 7:04 pm

The news about a deluxe set has been around since he was making the film.

He said in interviews that he was shooting the whole of Miller's stories and that they would be included on the DVD.

They're already in pre-prod on SC2 and I've heard his "next January" thing has already been brought back to November.

GeorgeC

Details of Sin City Deluxe Ed. DVD released!

Post by GeorgeC » September 12th, 2005, 3:20 pm

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/ ... /index.htm

Sin City is getting a new deluxe DVD release that has both the original theatrical cut plus an extended Director's Cut.

The two-disc set will retail for $39.99 and release on December 13th this year. Details of the extras are at the above link.

Another website mentions that the set will also come with a softcover copy of the Sin City graphic novel, "The Hard Goodbye," which was adapted into one of the movie's segments... http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=7667

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 13th, 2005, 6:44 am

Bit late on this one, eh George?

The Bits and Ultimate Disney have had this up on their pages for about a week! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Sin City

Post by huezang » December 17th, 2014, 6:21 am

just found this forum and website and it looks very nice for all things animated :).

Id like to share with you my newest animated short, although for right now only the trailer is done, its a Mozambican Production that started a year ago in my free time.