Spider-Man 3

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 22nd, 2007, 3:25 am

Wow, Vi's really starting to see this movie for what it is!

And many others are starting to see Raimi for what <I>he</I> is!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 22nd, 2007, 3:34 am

I really need to see Spidy 3 to understand what it "is"!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 23rd, 2007, 6:40 pm

You should Dan! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 24th, 2007, 2:38 am

I will, Vi, just don't know when.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 1st, 2007, 5:34 pm

Check this out. It's so funny how bored Toby looks: :roll: :P

SPOILER WARNING: If you haven't seen the film, it shows pretty much the whole Venom/Brock transformation scene.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

GeorgeC

Spider-Man 3 out on DVD on Oct. 30th

Post by GeorgeC » August 5th, 2007, 10:30 am

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/ ... /index.htm

"Sony Pictures Home Entertainment hs announced an Oct. 30 release for Spider-Man 3 on DVD.

Spider-Man 3 will be available in several versions, including a single-disc release, a two-disc Special Edition release, PSP, and a three-pack DVD release which will include Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 on DVD with collectible O-Ring packaging.

Also available is the Spider-Man High Definition Trilogy, a three-pack release of all three films on Blu-ray High-Def allowing fans an exclusive opportunity to collect both Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 in high definition, along with Spider-Man 2.1[sic 2.5] and Spider-Man 3.

Spider-Man 3 will also be available as a stand-alone two-disc release on Blu-ray High-Def.

The film has grossed more than $888 million worldwide. Spider-Man 3 set numerous records, including the biggest three-day total in box-office history ($151 million), biggest single day gross in box-office history ($59.8 million) and the top all-time worldwide opening ($231 million)."

TheDigitalBits.com has covered some of this already, but this is a neat package that summarizes everything.

The Blu-Ray Trilogy Collection will have the 2.5 cut of Spider-Man 2 in it in addition to the theatrical cut of Spider-Man 2. That's already been confirmed by TheDigitalBits.

This is something I might be eyeing myself as I get closer to making a decision on High-Def.

I don't think High-Def will do a darn for most animation titles which weren't theatrical releases in the first place, but, from the latest tests I've seen, it makes a SIGNIFICANT difference for live-action.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 6th, 2007, 2:45 am

That sounds awesome! I don't own the original or sequel, so I may consider getting that trilogy box set. (DVD)

And before Ben asks: Spider-Man 3 villains revealed :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 26th, 2007, 3:25 pm

Spider Man 3: The Abridged Script

Funnyfunnyfunnyfunnyfunnyfunnyfunnyfunnyfunny!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just FYI, I saw it yet another time, (for free) I still think it's got a ton of flaws but I had a good time nonetheless. :)

(Edited a bit for language)

Spider-Man 3: The Abridged Script

By: Rod Hilton on Jul 31st, 2007

FADE IN:

EXT. NEW YORK CITY

TOBEY MAGUIRE walks around being a pompous windbag to everyone.

TOBEY MAGUIRE (V.O.)

Yeah, in the first and second movie, everyone hated me, but now everyone loves me, so I wear a s***-eating grin constantly. Great power and great responsibility totally kick a**!

TOBEY attends a musical starring KIRSTEN DUNST.

KIRSTEN DUNST

(singing)

They say watching this film is wonderful;

“It’s wonderful,” so they say;

I doubt that they can mean it;

Or else they’ve never seen it;

I also know they say it’s full of sand… and;

Though filled with song and dance, “it’s wonderful”;

“Wonderful in every way,” so… they… saaayyyyyyy.

JAMES FRANCO watches the plotless, awful musical from the balcony, and takes a moment to glare at TOBEY’s S***-EATING GRIN.

JAMES FRANCO

(squinting)

God I f****** hate that guy. If only there was something I could do to avenge my father’s death. Like publicize the secret identity of Spider-Man, thereby ruining his life. Something like that would be great.

TOBEY goes backstage to find KIRSTEN, who has already been in the film more than anyone would like.

KIRSTEN DUNST

How was I? Was I good? Was I? Tell me I was good. No, tell me the truth. No wait, tell me that I was good but make sure that’s the truth.

TOBEY MAGUIRE

Golly gee whiz, Kirsten, you were so good! So good that my head could just burst with how good you were! Nobody at all was eager for the scene to end, and not a single member of the audience looked at his ticket to make sure he didn’t walk into the wrong theater, I promise!

KIRSTEN DUNST

Wow, I had no idea that one of the many powers of the spider was being a hopelessly p****-whipped little b****!

TOBEY MAGUIRE

Let’s go to the woods and stare up at the stars, just to make sure the audience is so bored that they’ll welcome anything that advances the story, no matter how idiotic.

A BIG BLACK BALL OF OOZE shoots down from the sky, conveniently landing mere feet from the only guy on the planet with the superpowers of a spider.

Meanwhile…

EXT. SCIENCE FACILITY

THOMAS HADEN CHURCH escapes from prison, only to accidentally fall into a RIDICULOUS PLOT CONTRIVANCE that turns him into a guy made of sand.

THOMAS HADEN CHURCH

Oh no, I’m made of sand now. I’m now empowered with all of the abilities of a big pile of sand. Like, um, getting in your clothes. And getting hot under the sun to burn your feet. Also flying for some reason.

IDIOT SCIENTISTS

Oh no, our experiment has gone awry. Damn, every time science experiments go poorly, it always makes a new enemy for Tobey Maguire. You’d think the guy would be bombing research facilities out of desperation.

THOMAS HADEN CHURCH

Er, why the hell isn’t my daughter’s locket sand too? All of my clothes are.

INT. ROSEMARY HARRIS’S APARTMENT

TOBEY, with nobody to turn to for expository dialogue except his AUNT ROSEMARY HARRIS, wastes 10 more minutes of everyone’s time talking about his boring relationship.

TOBEY MAGUIRE

I want to propose to Kirsten Dunst. I think I’ve done a good job of just barely holding together my double life as well as my relationship with her, so I know I’m ready.

ROSEMARY HARRIS

Do I ever die in the comics? God I’m sick of being in these movies, couldn’t I die? F***. Anyway, a husband has to put his wife ahead of himself. Can you do that?

TOBEY MAGUIRE

No. Not at all. Clearly, no. Kirsten’s life has been put in danger in the climax of both previous movies, indicating her closeness to me is a complete danger to her. The fact that I would ever even consider continuing to put her life in jeopardy by maintaining a relationship with her indicates that I place my own desire for companionship above her very life. It is incredibly, patently obvious that I absolutely cannot put her above me, even a little bit.

ROSEMARY HARRIS

Ah, who gives a s***? Give her my old ring. Go away now, Wheel of Fortune is starting.

TOBEY leaves, wearing that S***-EATING GRIN again. Finally having had enough of it, JAMES FRANCO surfs through the air and attacks TOBEY. Suddenly, they both turn into CARTOONS as they fight each other.

JAMES FRANCO

(squinting)

You knew this day was coming, Tobey!

TOBEY MAGUIRE

What, that one day you would take your father’s equipment and come after me?

JAMES FRANCO

(squinting)

No, that one day the incredibly popular Spider-Man film franchise would deteriorate into a mindless mess of poorly directed, poorly animated sequences strung together with awful writing meant to do nothing but cash in on the abundance of patience offered by fans.

TOBEY throws one of JAMES’S PUMPKIN BOMBS back at JAMES. It explodes in JAMES’S FACE and has absolutely no effect whatsoever except to distract him long enough for TOBEY to trip him off his board with a spider web.

TOBEY MAGUIRE

What the hell? Didn’t those bombs f****** VAPORIZE people in the first movie?

JAMES winds up in a hospital with AMNESIA, because this movie is basically a DAYTIME SOAP OPERA with some superheroes occasionally.

TOBEY MAGUIRE

Hey buddy. I heard you have amnesia. Do you remember anything, like maybe about us being arch-rivals?

JAMES FRANCO

(squinting)

I don’t actually have amnesia, dude. I’m just hoping to lay low and disassociate myself from this awful cartoon of a movie. I mean, I got dispatched the way Sylvester the cat does when he chases Tweety. It even had a ‘boing’ sound.

KIRSTEN DUNST

(sobbing)

Tobey! I just got the reviews! They said I was wooden, mousy, terribly miscast, annoying to watch, and awful at singing!

TOBEY MAGUIRE

Wow, they hated the play that much?

KIRSTEN DUNST

Play? No, these are the early reviews for this movie. They also called me snaggletooth!

Suddenly, a crane goes out of control downtown, threatening the lives of an office full of people, including BRYCE DALLAS HOWARD, a girl from TOBEY’S class on COMIC BOOK PHYSICS.

TOBEY MAGUIRE

I’ve got to go save the only girl in the movie more irritating than you. Sorry.

No less than THIRTY F****** MINUTES into the movie, TOBEY finally dons his costume and we actually see the title character.

EXT. DOWNTOWN

BRYCE DALLAS HOWARD dangles from a ledge as a crane destroys large sections of an office building, presumably killing many people.

BRYCE DALLAS HOWARD

I’m dangling! It’s amazing how often people in this city wind up dangling from something, given that it’s kind of the only thing Tobey is really good for.

CGI TOBEY MAGUIRE

Fear not, the man with the body of a superhero and the voice of a 12-year-old boy is here!

The chief of police, now played by recognizable actor JAMES CROMWELL, arrives on the scene.

TOPHER GRACE

Oh no, student and part-time model Bryce Dallas Howard is in danger. This is unfortunate for you because you since you are her father! It is also unfortunate for me, aspiring photographer and all-around douchebag, because I am dating her! Did all of that exposition sound natural, or totally forced?

JAMES CROMWELL

Meh, as bad as it was, it was still better than the writing on my season of 24.

CGI TOBEY rescues BRYCE as enormous slabs of concrete fall and smash the people on the ground. Having saved the cute blond girl, he leaves.

CRANE OPERATOR

What the f***? Didn’t this scene start by showing me in mortal peril? Are you just going to let me die?

CGI TOBEY MAGUIRE

Sorry, I only rescue people if they’re dangling. Call one of the other hundreds of Marvel superheroes that live in New York City. I hear Daredevil needs work.

TOBEY and KIRSTEN bore us with some more relationship problems.

KIRSTEN DUNST

I’m so sick of never having any time with you. Plus my career s**** and I’m taking it out on you.

TOBEY MAGUIRE

Wait a minute, at the end of the last film, you begged me to get into a relationship with you, knowing full well that I’m Spider-Man and that I have responsibilities beyond just being a boyfriend. I spent two whole movies saying a relationship was a bad idea because I’m a superhero, and you told me you can handle it, but now you can’t, just because you’re lonely?

KIRSTEN DUNST

Yep.

TOBEY MAGUIRE

Wow. What a complete and total f****** b****.

KIRSTEN DUNST

Plus I’m also p***** that Bryce kissed you.

TOBEY MAGUIRE

Aren’t you an actress? Don’t you kiss people in plays all the time? How is this any different? Besides, I’ve saved you from certain death at least a dozen times. I’ve earned the right to be the meat in a stripper sandwich if I want.

TOBEY visits the police station to get away from KIRSTEN.

INT. POLICE STATION

JAMES CROMWELL talks to TOBEY and ROSEMARY.

JAMES CROMWELL

So, yeah, it turns out that the guy you thought killed your uncle wasn’t the guy. Turns out it’s Thomas Haden Church, conveniently the villain for this movie.

TOBEY MAGUIRE

Why? It doesn’t add anything to his character at all. God this movie s****.

ROSEMARY HARRIS

I don’t understand - you knew about this when he was in prison, why didn’t you tell us then?

JAMES CROMWELL

We didn’t want to upset you.

ROSEMARY HARRIS

Then why are you telling us now?

JAMES CROMWELL

Didn’t you just hear your nephew? This movie s****, that’s why.

INT. TOBEY’S APARTMENT

TOBEY tries to sleep, but that BLACK OOZE that we forgot about from the first ten minutes of the movie decides to make an appearance. It turns his costume black for some reason.

CGI TOBEY MAGUIRE

This new suit! It’s so much more powerful, which I will illustrate by performing stunts that I performed in prior movies while wearing my regular suit.

He combs his hair down, so that the audience knows when he’s in EMO TOBEY mode. New costume ready, CGI TOBEY finds THOMAS HADEN CHURCH and kicks his sandy a**.

CGI TOBEY MAGUIRE

My name is Tobey Maguire. You killed my uncle. Prepare to die.

THOMAS HADEN CHURCH

I’m not a bad guy. Just a guy that’s had some bad luck.

CGI TOBEY MAGUIRE

Then why the f*** are you the villain for this movie?

They fight some more, and TOBEY wins, using his new power of BEING KIND OF A D***.

Meanwhile, KIRSTEN DUNST visits JAMES FRANCO and dances with him. Eventually, she kisses him. This sends TOBEY over the edge into PURE EVIL, illustrated by him demanding cookies from his landlord’s daughter, putting his feet on desks, popping his collar, and dancing his way down the street like a A**CLOWN.

He does throw a bomb at the significantly-more-evil JAMES FRANCO, though, so that’s kind of EVIL.

EMO TOBEY MAGUIRE

I’m going to take Bryce Dallas Howard to the jazz club where Kirsten works now and make her jealous.

BRYCE DALLAS HOWARD

Are you sure you wouldn’t rather doing something interesting, like fight the villain?

EMO TOBEY MAGUIRE

Nah, people had enough interesting action sequences in the last two movies. Petty relationship squabbles are what people want to see now.

KIRSTEN DUNST sings for the SECOND F****** TIME in the movie, and TOBEY launches into the THIRD DANCE SEQUENCE in order to make KIRSTEN jealous. Also, WILLEM DAFOE makes an obvious and distracting cameo, which is meant to be CUTE but is actually CONFUSING for those who notice him, which includes EVERYONE.

KIRSTEN DUNST

You’re such a jerk now, Tobey. If only there was some way I could get back at you for embarrassing me. Like reveal that you’re Spider-Man and ruin your life. Something like that would be great.

EMO TOBEY MAGUIRE

Wow, you and James Franco really are perfect for each other.

During the sequence, TOBEY accidentally knocks KIRSTEN down. Everyone GASPS.

EMO TOBEY MAGUIRE

What the f***, I threw a bomb at my friend’s face in the last scene and nobody cared, but I accidentally hit a girl and finally people are buying that I’m an a****** when I wear the black suit?

TOBEY puts the rest of his costume on, specifically in order to go to a CHURCH and rip the entire thing off. TOPHER GRACE happens to walk into the same church at the same time, because DIRECTOR SAM RAIMI has COMPLETELY STOPPED CARING.

AUDIENCE

Alright, what the hell? I thought this movie was supposed to have Venom. There’s like twenty minutes left. More Venom! More Venom!

The BLACK OOZE grabs TOPHER and turns him into VENOM.

AUDIENCE

Oh my god, he looks ridiculous. Am I watching the Spiderman cartoon now or something? Less Venom! Less Venom!

TOPHER GRACE finds THOMAS HADEN CHURCH.

TOPHER GRACE

So I think we should team up to kill Tobey.

THOMAS HADEN CHURCH

Yeah, killing people is awesome. For the record though, I’m not a bad guy.

TOPHER GRACE

Great. So the plan is, I’ll act like my nerdy, sarcastic character from That 70’s Show, and when Tobey is distracted thinking how shameful it is to bring an iconic character like Venom to the screen like that, I’ll hit him with a cinder block.

THOMAS HADEN CHURCH

It’s good, but there needs to be more dangling.

TOPHER dangles KIRSTEN DUNST, a car, and a truck.

CGI TOBEY MAGUIRE

Oh no! Dangling! I’m needed!

KIRSTEN DUNST

Tobey! I need your help!

CGI TOBEY MAGUIRE

Right, I’ll have you down in a minute!

KIRSTEN DUNST

No, I need your help understanding how the bad guys even knew to abduct me this time. How does Topher even know who I am, let alone that I’m dating Spider-Man?

TOBEY tries to rescue KIRSTEN, but THOMAS turns into a giant glob of dirt and TOPHER uses his powers of irritating comic relief. Suddenly, JAMES FRANCO shows up to help.

CGI TOBEY MAGUIRE

You came to help!

JAMES FRANCO

(squinting)

Nah, I came because I wanted to be in the credits above the guy from Wings.

CGI TOBEY MAGUIRE

Okay. I’ll take the guy who has the same powers as me. You take the enormous, invulnerable monster that cannot be killed or stopped.

JAMES FRANCO

(squinting)

Sounds fair.

They FIGHT. JAMES discovers that superheating THOMAS turns him into breakable glass, but he doesn’t use that to defeat him. Eventually THOMAS is knocked over.

THOMAS HADEN CHURCH

Rather than turn back into the monster and resume wreaking havoc, I’m just going to give up and morph into a human for no good reason until the fight is over.

CGI TOBEY MAGUIRE

Alright! Now that Thomas has just given up entirely, we can both focus on Topher. Surely the two of us together can kill him.

TOPHER stabs JAMES with his own stupid surfboard. Suddenly, TOBEY uses some metal pipes to make an annoying ringing sound.

TOPHER GRACE

NO! RINGING! MY ONE WEAKNESS!

CGI TOBEY MAGUIRE

Wow, that’s like the worst weakness in comic book history. A f****** phone call would knock you on your a**.

TOBEY throws one of JAMES’S PUMPKIN BOMBS at TOPHER.

JAMES FRANCO

(squinting)

Tobey, no! It’ll kill him!

CGI TOBEY MAGUIRE

No it won’t. I’ve thrown two of these things at your head in this movie, they don’t do s***.

The bomb explodes, completely vaporizing TOPHER and his SUIT.

CGI TOBEY MAGUIRE

Alright, what the F***?

THOMAS HADEN CHURCH confronts TOBEY.

THOMAS HADEN CHURCH

Dude, I’m totally sorry about killing your uncle.

(crying)

Forgive me.

TOBEY MAGUIRE

(crying)

I forgive you, on the condition you don’t smash me against steel beams anymore.

KIRSTEN DUNST

(crying)

*sniff*, I really wanted another singing sequence.

JAMES FRANCO

(squinting and crying)

What is this, an episode of Dr. Phil? Why are we all crying?

(dies)

AUDIENCE

Twenty minutes of a stupid-looking, nerdy Venom… half the movie devoted to relationship troubles… a whiny hero Sandman… and 5 scenes containing either singing or dancing…

(crying)

Why, why, why couldn’t this movie have been any good?

© 2007 The Editing Room

http://www.the-editing-room.com/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 26th, 2007, 3:52 pm

Wow, a lot of bad words there! I counted three that you missed, Vi. Aside from that, very, very funny! :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 26th, 2007, 4:04 pm

Wow, a lot of bad words there! I counted three that you missed, Vi.

Yeah, sorry about that. :oops: :wink: I went back and fixed them--think I got them all now. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 26th, 2007, 5:53 pm

Funny stuff...and again so true.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 28th, 2007, 11:38 am

Here goes another Marvel-bashing frenzy. *sigh* Why do Marvel movies always get bashed the most when they're some of the best movies coming out and have been for years. For example, Million Dollar Baby was a good movie and all, but if I'm coming home after a long day, I'd probably opt to watch Daredevil or Fantastic Four. We should all be thanking Hollywood for the current abundance of superhero movies, but any time a new one comes out, especially if it's Marvel, all I ever hear are knocks and complaints. Am I the only one who feels that Marvel hasn't done a bad movie yet in the post-Blade era?

Speaking specifically of Spider-Man 3, what's the problem? Sure it wasn't as good as part 2 (I don't know that anything they came up with could have been), but it was still a good movie. If you must know (and this is something I heard in an interview), they originally were going to try and split the story into two films, but couldn't figure out a satisfactory middle-of-the-story climax. If the whole "dark Peter" plot seems rushed, it's because they weren't able to give it proper breathing room. Yes, it's true they tried to cram too much story into the runtime, but as I always say, we should judge a film for what it is, not what it could/should have been and by that measure, I think Spider-Man 3 definitely lives up to the previous two installments. However, I feel that they ended the overall story perfectly and they should stop there. Spidey has earned a place in the Cool Trilogy Club, but if Sony goes for a part four and blows it, it'll tarnish the reputation of the whole series in the eyes of the audience (much the same way that Shrek The Third has). Let's all hope that doesn't happen.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 28th, 2007, 11:48 am

Am I the only one who feels that Marvel hasn't done a bad movie yet in the post-Blade era?
Hmm...Yeah, probably. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 28th, 2007, 4:31 pm

If the whole "dark Peter" plot seems rushed, it's because they weren't able to give it proper breathing room.
I actually think it's more because Sam Raimi didn't want it in the film in the first place. It just seems to me that he was much more invested in the (lame) subplot of Sandman and Venom/Brock was just something he squeezed in 'cause he had to. :?

It's just so hard to take, 'cause here Raimi has a great story to work with (dark Peter/dark Venom/Eddie all reflections of each other) as well as at least three wonderful supporting actors with real talent, and yet he gives the most screen time/dialogue to the boring characters being played by actors who so obviously are only doing it for the money. (And I mean Dunst and Maguire, in case there was any doubt. :wink:

*SPOILERS*
Venom shouldn't have been a last-minute concept... Venom should have been the whole film, period. Maybe Sandman would have been great in his OWN film (but even that is doubtful, judging by the awful cliche-ridden backstory Raimi devised for him) but with Venom--that's just too much goo/sand/ooze for one film! (not even counting Harry's using his dad's chemicals to be "goblin Jr.) :roll: :P

With Venom as the true focus, t here could have been some wonderful stuff with Peter's growing evil and final "choice" to reject it in comparison with Eddie's struggles (which we needed MORE of) and then possibly even reflected in Harry's arc (which IMHO should have taken a far darker turn than it did--I mean: Amnesia?? Romance kindled with MJ? ANOTHER villain who's not really evil redeeming himself? Harry's arc needed to end much more tragically than it did.

Perhaps if Harry had actually joined with Venom instead of teaming up with Peter, (maybe we could have seen him wavering earlier to forgive Peter) and then died anyway even with Peter trying to save him-- this would have been much more powerful.

If the film were just too "stuffed" by different characters subplots due to poor planning than I could sort of excuse SM, as this often happens even in the best of films. My REAL problem is Raimi took an uninspiring villain and made him the center of attention, while the villain people actually wanted to see and would have made a FAR better story all on its own was not only pushed aside but treated as a joke. Ugh. :roll: :?
Sure it wasn't as good as part 2 (I don't know that anything they came up with could have been),

I have to say, I'm not so sure about that. With that talent they had at their disposal, (James, Topher, Bryce, JK Simmons AND Dylan Baker?? :shock: ) coupled with a story that has the potential to be VERY dark (as we all assumed it would be) I think they might have even been able to top part 2 if they wanted to.

Part 2 was great and all, but never went as dark as it could have gone. Dock Ock was awesome, but never hard-core evil. There was no ruthless, alien presence and the only "demons" Peter had to face were: "Should I be Spider-Man or not?"

In Part 3 Peter's struggles would have come from a deeper, darker source. The film could have been absolutely amazing if Raimi invested himself in it more.....key being "could have." :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 1st, 2007, 7:09 pm

"Venom should have been the whole film, period"...

...as we were led to believe in all the marketing... :(

I think I made the point of splitting the movie in two, with the "birth" of Venom the cliffhanger leading into 4. It doesn't take brain science to work that out...