Disney's Bambi (Live-Action)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's Bambi (Live-Action)

Post by Daniel » June 13th, 2023, 3:30 pm

Funny this gets announced just as you switch your avatar from Bambi! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » June 13th, 2023, 3:40 pm

Yeah.. I was hoping that the lack of news meant that this project was dead but apparently not, unfortunately.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 13th, 2023, 4:35 pm

Well, at least it's going to be a musical...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 13th, 2023, 7:22 pm

Oh deer… :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 14th, 2023, 12:50 am

I await the next train wreck, with morbid curiosity. Good director, but can anyone pull this off?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 14th, 2023, 3:33 am

And your basis for leaning on her being a "good director" is…? :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 14th, 2023, 9:48 am

Only based on her winning a best director award in Canada once, for whatever that's worth. No, I have never seen anything from her. Just giving her the benefit of the doubt, and not saying that she couldn't do as good a job as anyone else.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » June 14th, 2023, 7:56 pm

People are already asking will this be real live action or a cartoon like lion king was but disney "claims" it's live action.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 14th, 2023, 8:18 pm

Even if it’s "real" live-action, there will be lots of VFX touches. My guess is it’s "fake" live-action and goes TLK route.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » June 14th, 2023, 8:23 pm

That leaves the other big question.

If the hunter is live action-- Who will play the hunter?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 14th, 2023, 8:42 pm

Hanks, of course. :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » June 15th, 2023, 2:49 am

Bambi is one of my favorite Disney films and easily in my top 5 and my favorite of the big 5. I love everything about it, the animation, the art design, the music, the songs - it's like poetry (it's also Walt's favorite movie). I love it that much that I even refused to ever watch the cheap DTV and only read dreadful things about it (terrible pop songs and "A Young Prince does not say woo-hoo!" Seriously?!).

I have no doubt that this will be as dull and uninvolving as The Lion King where none of the characters show any emotion. Worse - it's going to be more modernized with awful modern humor to appeal to kids these days because let's face it they don't love to do this anymore:

Regarding Kacey Musgrave - the only thing I know about her is that she sang All is Found in Frozen II and she did it beautifully. I just don't see the point in making Bambi a "Broadway" musical. There aren't many songs in the original and their main purpose was to set a mood, none of the characters burst into songs and did showstopping musical numbers, so I don't really see the point. I'm pretty much certain this is going to be another abomination like Pinocchio so I probably won't bother with it to be honest.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 15th, 2023, 3:49 am

You’re right, of course, it is like poetry. Bambi is an absolute delight, and so well judged as a film (my *one* note would be that after "Your mother can’t be with you anymore" that the fade in to Let’s Sing A Gay Little Spring Song comes too fast. Needs at least just one more full second, or even two, of a black gap in there to accommodate the shift in tone and give us that moment to grieve and move forward in time).

However, like you said, Bambi is also of its time, and this one will also, sadly, be of its time. Thumper will go from being a precocious and cheeky little monkey to being an outrightly annoying brat that we want to kill after five minutes, while Flower will be female, and probably a woman of color, because she’s black, right, and also probably not as bashful as the character was. Either that, or they lean into that bashfulness even more and make him more effeminate and/or confused/non-binary, etc…

As for Kacey Musgraves, I know not who she is, outside of Kacey "Kevin Spacey fan" Kacey Musgraves…? Weird that they would announce the songwriter of a film before the director has secured their deal, which already points to this being a made by committee endeavour. If Polley is directing, she’ll be the next independent darling that comes on to one of these massive VFX films with no real experience of how they work, and that always works out just great, don’t it?

Sounds fantastic already! :(

(BTW, Farerb, not everyone said bad things about Bambi II:
https://animatedviews.com/2011/bambi-ii ... n-blu-ray/

It will probably even end up being a better experience than this remake!)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 15th, 2023, 6:12 am

Farerb wrote:
June 15th, 2023, 2:49 am
I love it that much that I even refused to ever watch the cheap DTV and only read dreadful things about it (terrible pop songs and "A Young Prince does not say woo-hoo!" Seriously?!).
I'll second those two, and add the 00's Vidquel ploy of making almost every story about classic Disney characters (Ariel, Lady, Simba, Wendy, etc.) worrying about neglectful parents to their DTV offspring.
Because Disney knows that kids don't buy videos, PARENTS do.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 15th, 2023, 11:51 am

Yeah as someone whose username around here used to be related to RTNL, I have to point out that Wendy was never portrayed as a “neglectful parent” in that film (which also wasn’t DTV, natch!).
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."