Popeye (1980) on Blu-ray

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Popeye (1980) on Blu-ray

Post by Ben » December 18th, 2020, 8:47 pm

Just a quick shout out, for those that do love the film, that Paramount's new Popeye Blu-ray — arriving pretty much in the same week 40 years after the fact! — really is a great little disc, especially at its ridiculously low price point.

The print looks *gorgeous* with sharp, eye-popping color, and the surround track is alive with musical and sound effect activity and a nice sold bass.

Best of all, and after almost 40 years of being ignored — especially by those who made it! — we get some nice extras, including a bonkers trailer that I’d never seen before, and two new featurettes on the making of the film and its cast, respectively, featuring "new" interviews with director Robert Altman and star Robin Williams, plus a photo montage of the LA premiere.

Well, new interviews in that Altman was recorded in 1999, and Williams in 2014 (for what are actually outtakes from the feature doc "Altman"), but unseen until now. And both seem to have got over any disappointment that Popeye wasn’t the next Superman and have much good stuff to say about the filming and memories of the film, contrary to popular belief. They are "joined" by Altman's son, the prop master on the film, in a new 2020 interview carried out over videocall, but done nicely.

My only nitpicks would be the quality of the archive interview sound, which often sounds overloaded, but the content makes up for it, being honest and candid. Also quite cool to see and remember the history of the time: before heading up Disney, Michael Eisner was running Paramount when they made Popeye...in collaboration with Walt Disney Productions! So it was fun to see him in a photo, and I’m sure I spotted Howard Ashman in one shot, too, though what he would be doing on that film I don’t know, and I’ve never read anything about his involvement.

But this is a nice little disc, and finally gives the movie its due. Interestingly, it’s region A locked in the US, since Paramount have rights in the States and Disney has rights internationally — but as a different and shorter cut. I doubt there are any plans, but I’d be well up for a disc of that version, as it’s the one I grew up with and is, arguably, a more refined cut that loses at least two of the slower, not as successful songs from the longer version.

But the chances of that are slim, as I’d assume this is the version that has been remastered for future showings by either company. Either way, Popeye finally gets a little attention, with a relatively surprising amount of director and star one on one that's been nicely assembled and gives the disc some weight. And did I say the movie looks and sounds gorgeous? Toot-toot!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Popeye (1980) on Blu-ray

Post by Randall » December 18th, 2020, 9:15 pm

Such good news. Ben well knows that I adore Robin, Popeye, and this film. The low price point had me a little doubtful, but it seems Paramount has given us a nice gift for the holiday season.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 21st, 2020, 10:54 am

Would you perhaps say it's a best of 2020... or should we wait for your opinion...!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 21st, 2020, 3:41 pm

Most surprising, perhaps...? Yeah, probably. A very nice surprise. :)