Harry Potter and the Wizarding World

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » November 19th, 2005, 4:22 pm

I've got tickets to a digital projection of it tomorrow morning.

I can't wait!!!!!!!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 19th, 2005, 6:32 pm

Sports Illustrated has a preview of the 422nd Quidditch World Cup final!
Last edited by James on November 19th, 2005, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 19th, 2005, 7:25 pm

Where?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 19th, 2005, 7:31 pm

click the link above!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 19th, 2005, 8:20 pm

It just comes up with a football game...

Anyway, Potter's made $36 million on opening day...not bad, eh?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 19th, 2005, 9:14 pm

oops! link fixed!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 19th, 2005, 9:46 pm

Silly James!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » November 20th, 2005, 2:52 am

I am, however, probably looking more forward to the Donner re-cut of Supes II rather than the new one,
Looking forward to both.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » November 20th, 2005, 11:11 pm

Great film!!!

They did a wonderful job. Moody was the stand-out favorite.

Voldemort looked amazing!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » November 21st, 2005, 3:38 pm

Ben wrote:A couple of nitpicks - there's the use of an offensive word when Ron and Harry aren't speaking to each other and it seemed VERY out of place. It had the required "ooh" squirm from the packed audience I saw it with, but I feel that the filmmakers should have had some respect for the parents who will no doubt be subjected to the phrase when they tell their kids to do something back home. Another word or phrase could have gotten the required result withougt seeming an odd inclusion, and potentially inflamaroty.

Having read that before, I was waiting for this scene. Actually, it had passed by unnoticed while I guess I was waiting for Ron to unload an "F-bomb."

The P-word is kind of a britishism, I guess. Nobody seemed to bat an eye in my theater on this side of the pond.

I'm a little bemused that in a film that includes blood sacrifice, grave-robbing, dismemberment, a peeping-tom ghost watching boys take baths, torture, two adult murders and the murder of a child, that you objected to a reference to urine!

Runt: It's frozen PEE! Pee. Pee, pee, pee.....

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » November 21st, 2005, 3:45 pm

Piss off? That's far from offensive, especially considering the fact that a) the movie IS pg-13, AND, b) It's pretty commenly used in britian.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » November 21st, 2005, 4:56 pm

Considering it's a phrase you can use on the telly here in USA, it's pretty mild in a pg-13 movie.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 22nd, 2005, 10:25 am

I did not object to a reference to urine!

I objected to the words "piss off", which is obviously not as strong in the US, and despite you thinking that we use it all the time, it is still actually adult language.

Yeah, the movie is a PG-13, and a 12-A here, meaning that kids can go see it with older adults. All the adults I know who have seen it here were surprised by the useage - not in the book - and thought it harsh.

Kids are not going to get involved in blood sacrifices, grave-robbing, dismemberment, become peeping-toms, torturers or murderers because they see this film, but they will start to answer their parents back with the phrase because they think it's cool and grown up. I just think that a similar effect could have been had with another phrase while the filmmakers wouldn't be inviting bad language into their audiences homes.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » November 22nd, 2005, 12:41 pm

For me, the reasons I won't let my daughter see this movie until she's 9 or 10 have a lot more to do with the subject matter of the film. It's a damn disturbing film, and not because a teenager utters the word piss.

PG-13 isn't supposed to mean "Clean and wholesome." That's G. PG is next to that, with maybe a bad word or some scary stuff. PG-13 is when you get blood, violence and some nastier words.

In America, "Piss off" will get you a PG. This is PG-13.

Now if you're objecting to it based on the character Ron, I also don't agree with that. There are numerous parts in the book series where characters "make rude gestures" or "called someone a foul name", so Rowling is acknowleging that teenagers do indeed cuss from time to time.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 22nd, 2005, 4:19 pm

You know what?

Okay. I can't be bothered to drag out a millisecond gripe with an otherwise great film that I have.

Taken your opinion on board...too bad you can't see what I'm trying to say, or maybe I am not saying it correctly. It doesn't matter what the rating is, as younger children will see it and pick up on that.

Anyway, let's move on please...