Cinderella: Platinum Edition Discussion

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 28th, 2005, 5:18 pm

Thanks for the update!

Please let's continue our Cinderella DVD discussions in this thread.

Thanks! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Cinderella on the big screen again...

Post by Kinoo » May 4th, 2005, 3:04 pm

... in France 8)
On July 20th, Cinderella will be rereleased in theatres in France, in a restaured version, here is the movie poster:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 6th, 2005, 9:15 am

Nice poster!

Better than the DVD - why, in all versions of Cinderella on home video, does the PRINCE get the full-on face shot and all we get is the back/side of THE HEROINE's face??

Not like the Prince is an especially powerful character anyway!

Anyway, nice poster! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 6th, 2005, 10:48 am

Better than the DVD - why, in all versions of Cinderella on home video, does the PRINCE get the full-on face shot and all we get is the back/side of THE HEROINE's face??

Not like the Prince is an especially powerful character anyway!
Yeah, I agree. Sexism at work! But none of the Walt-era heroines ever got a poster to themselves, they always shared it with some other character or characters, and they were NEVER the center of attention. (I don't count Alice In Wonderland, since she was a little girl)

I think Ariel was the first Disney female character who was the "main attraction" of the poster. (and not even completely at the begining--it was her and Eric in the middle and the other characters around them.) Ditto the first Beauty poster with Belle, all the characters and outline of the Beast "in the sky."

After that, Pocahontas (in the boat) and then Mulan. (on horseback.)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Cinderella press release at DisneyDatabase

Post by Jessie » May 7th, 2005, 8:59 am

Hi, I'm new here but I found this at Disney Data base

http://www.disneydatabase.com/forums/sh ... 7#post2037

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 7th, 2005, 10:45 am

1.78:1??

I hope I don't have to stick to my CAV LD boxed set to retain the original aspect ratio!

There's that big-screen re-issue in France - I hope they haven't re-formatted the image and are using this for the DVD.

Surely that's a mistake, but the rest of the bonuses don't look like they're enticing me very much either (a mixture of LD carry overs and new rubbish).

Anyway, welcome to the boards Jessie! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » May 12th, 2005, 1:59 pm

Ben wrote:1.78:1??

I hope I don't have to stick to my CAV LD boxed set to retain the original aspect ratio!
Don't worry; you don't have to; the new press release says it's in its OAR.
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 12th, 2005, 2:11 pm

Phew!

Still, for those with the CAV box, I don't really see the need for massive upgrading.

Okay, I know I'm going to get the Gift Set already, but for those who um and ahh over such things, it doesn't look all that much more than a picture upgrade.

Frankly, apart from the things carried over from the LD box, this is all fluff, and the ESPN thing is absolutely, appaulingly insulting!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » June 14th, 2005, 4:35 pm

This may be of interest to some of you...

Ultimatedisney.com has disc art up for this October's big release:

Disc 1

Disc 2

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/coverart.html#october
-Joe

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 14th, 2005, 4:57 pm

Y'know, I think we've reported on those before. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Cinderella DVD Menus

Post by CaptainJasHook » July 5th, 2005, 2:28 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CaptainJasHook » July 5th, 2005, 2:20 pm

And - Ultimate Disney has the screenshots of some bonus features.

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/cinderell ... html#bonus

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Cinderella...Region 1 or Region 2 edition?

Post by Wonderlicious » July 19th, 2005, 6:04 pm

Hello everybody. I am back again to ask yet another question concerning Disney DVDs, this time an opinion question...

Which edition of Cinderella should I go for? Region 1 or Region 2? I understand the minimal speed up thing and the better picture, but the whole point of this post hasn't got anything to do with that, for I don't care. What I am asking about is what copy (the regular Region 2 disc or the Region 1 gift set) I should get.

The Gift Set?

There's something telling me to get this R1 exclusive. It looks gorgeous and would be nice to flash around. The drawings look interesting, and of course, the DVD will have a slipcover. ;) :roll: However, from reviews on the Aladdin gift set, I predict that the majority of the set will be a waste of money and be like paying big bucks for a normal DVD (which can be found for much less anywhere) and a piece of this:

I also may find it hard to get it at a good price, period. Amazon is too confusing and expensive and I don't have access to pay them or the better priced DVD Soon. I could use the accessable PLAY USA, but they are a bit too expensive as well compared to the unaccessable sites and even the sister site for the UK (PLAY)! Also, I've been aiming to get some friends engrossed in Disney DVDs, and the good specs for Cinderella would be a good way to preach the message of amazingness compared to mediocre videos, but a possibly unplayable Region 1 DVD wouldn't pass around well (that could be a pro actually...scrap that theory :?)

Region 2 UK regular?

I have all the Region 2 platinum equivalents (all were dubbed collector's editions or special editions or both in the case of Beauty and the Beast), so it may be a good idea to keep order in my collection. However, there is a rumour that the UK edition may sadly be out a few weeks later than not only the USA, but other countries too! (on October 31st, if you must know) This may sound like a little bit of time, but considering it comes out after my little time off school, it may not be a good thing. And after horrible treatment to some of their titles (mostly Alice in Wonderland), I'm not sure if I should support BVHE UK.

So, from looking at the scenario, which edition should I go for? The exclusive to R1 Gift Set or the R2 Regular? :?:
-Joe

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 19th, 2005, 6:46 pm

Weeeeeeeeeeeell,

As someone who usually goes for the very best edition of any given title (in NTSC, natch), I am going for the Gift Set, since it looks gorgeous and will match the Lion King and Aladdin sets (and personally, I love all that extra re-printed stuff, since it's a carry over from the good ole' LaserDisc days).

Indeed, the book in the Cinederella box is the same as was found in the LD set, albeit smaller in size.

However, as someone who has all the other Platinums in their UK Special Edition versions, I would simply stick to that. I've not heard anything about this delay rumor, but if it's true, then it will only likely be until February or so, at the latest.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Date of UK Cinderella and others: 31/10/05

Post by Wonderlicious » July 21st, 2005, 4:20 pm

For anyone in the United Kingdom, it may interest you that Cinderella has been set for DVD release here on October 31st 2005, according to Play.com's listings (the magical classic is up for pre-order at £15.99 currently, although the RRP is £21.99). A re-release of Cinderella 2 will also appear on that same date (£14.99 pre-order, £19.99 RRP), and this and Cinderella shall appear in a special box set for pre-order at £23.99 (the RRP being £29.99). And a boxset featuring Alice in Wonderland, The Aristocats and Dumbo will also be available that day, although it should be noted that the Region 2 discs for Dumbo and Alice are inferior to their Region 1 counterparts.

http://play.com/play247.asp?pa=search&s ... 53&Go.y=13

http://play.com/play247.asp?page=title& ... g=72&pa=sr
-Joe