Cinderella: Platinum Edition Discussion

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 29th, 2007, 2:11 pm

Ben wrote:It's the selling as a movie that hurts these things. Even "Belle's Magical World". Remember that one? That was for a failed B&TB TV show that never ran.
Not to mention "Kronk's New Groove", which seems to be the failed tie-in series we would have gotten if they hadn't gone with "Emperor's New School" instead.
And the Aladdin TV series has come and gone and audiences still refer to "Return of Jafar" and "King of Thieves" as "movies".

Again, most Gargoyles fans were looking forward to rumors of the "Team Atlantis" series, so at least "Atlantis II:Milo's Return" didn't fool anybody.
(I'm still looking for anyone who can rush to that one's defense; like the Lilo & Stitch TV series, weekly episodes finally figured out what to do with that mess of movie characters in search of a plot.) :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 29th, 2007, 9:00 pm

"Belle's Magical World". Remember that one?
Unfortunately, I do. :roll:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 30th, 2007, 2:07 am

I liked it. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 30th, 2007, 9:25 am

Technically, "King of Thieves" was a movie. It wasn't like Return Of Jafar, episodes of the TV show, but a fully developed direct-to-video outing, intended and produced as a single storyline feature by the TV crew. It has since been used as a season capper for re-runs of the Aladdin TV series.

In Kronk's case, again, this was structured as a feature from the off. If you sliced the two main storylines in two, you'd still have more footage than you would need for a 21 TV episode. The animation was handled by the DisneyToon Australian crew, who were also streets ahead of what the Television Animation crew could do with Emperor's New School.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 29th, 2007, 6:39 pm

Just a heads up, Toon Disney will be airing Cinderella III: A Twist in Time on December 3rd, at 5:00pm.

Talk about fast, huh? I bet anything its because Cindy III goes in vault this January.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Otis8 » November 30th, 2007, 2:06 pm

yay! i"ve been wanting to seeing cinderella III for a long time. thanks daniel :).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 1st, 2007, 5:02 am

No prob, hope you enjoy it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 23rd, 2008, 1:01 am

Hey, you never did tell me what you thought of Cindy III, Otis!

Anywho, great review of a not so great movie, Ben! And no, I didn't catch anything... Although, Prudence was also an element kept for Cindy III.

"3/10" Ouch.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 23rd, 2008, 5:43 am

Thanks Dan. :)

And I think 3/10 was pretty lenient!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Cinderella II Review!

Post by Dusterian » January 23rd, 2008, 12:28 pm

"The Baker himself is a bit of a drip, it has to be said, but nonetheless the segment made enough of an impact to be the one and only (minor) plot element to be carried over into the third film."

Well, Dan, he said it was the only plot point carried over to the film. And I think he meant Anastasia's search for love and character turn. But maybe Prudence being in charge is sort of a plot point, because that's how Cinderella becomes royal mouse catcher.

Ben, very fair, entertaining (for people who know animation) review. I'm so glad you mentioned the title sequence! The castle is supposed to be Sleeping Beauty's! I don't know if you remember, but from the Sleeping Beauty DVD there was that theatrical trailer with Danny Elfman music that you (and I, I re-watch it a lot!) thought was so cool, and in the beginning of that the logo actually disappears to Sleeping Beauty's castle, which it actually looks like. The thing about Cinderella II is it didn't even get the Prince's castle right. Cinderella III got it exactly right. And did you know that you can see the Disney dust (it was called that before Tinker Bell came along, when Cinderella was actually the first it introduce it!) write out the title?:
But then it disappears. So, I wonder if they planned on writing it out in the magic, which would have been much cooler than just having the title fade in like it did.

Ha, this is the place for animation geeks like me! I'm so happy to be a part of Animated News! And Views!

I personally think the old cover was better, just because it had everything drawn just for it and it was all together. Now the new cover takes old images from everything and has it floating around. I've seen every image before. Even Cinderella herself was recycled from promotional art for Cinderella's Platinum Edition:

Interestingly, they have a preliminary version of the 2002 cover on the back of the Special Edition cover, which looks awful. Is there any chance I can see the disc art where she looks off-model, because it sounds like I may never have seen it before. I don't think I'm gonna buy this, even though I'm a huge Cinderella fan and I like the shiny new cover.

Oh yea, and I forgot to mention. It was revealed later by Disney Toon Studios, in some article, that Cinderella II really was a failed TV series. In an article about the last of their sequels being made, I think.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Cinderella II Review!

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 23rd, 2008, 1:27 pm

Dusterian wrote: Even Cinderella herself was recycled from promotional art for Cinderella's Platinum Edition:
Actually this clipart was made for the Princess marchandise before the Cinderella PE.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 23rd, 2008, 2:42 pm

Thanks Dusterian.

I don't actually have the Sleeping Beauty DVD - waiting for the Blu-Ray - but I have commented on that trailer before, from the LaserDisc edition of that set.

It's a great, very modern trailer...every time I watch it it feels like a new Disney film about to come out. Very snappy and expertly timed to a pastiche of Danny Elfman's Beetlejuice music.

Regarding the Cinders clipart...it <I>was</I> actually created for the 2002 release of Cinderella II in non-English speaking international countries, so case closed!

I can't do scans, but the disc art isn't that off. She's just been made to look more sauced up and coy than she is on the cover, but it's not far off.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Cinderella II Review!

Post by Dusterian » January 23rd, 2008, 3:00 pm

Once Upon A Dream wrote:Actually this clipart was made for the Princess marchandise before the Cinderella PE.
You mean this?:
Well, I meant it was re-done specifically for the Special Edition. It was completely re-drawn and stuff. Cinderella II just added a tiara.

Ben, are you sure about what you said? The original's on the left, the foreign-language one middle:
Last edited by Dusterian on January 23rd, 2008, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 23rd, 2008, 3:10 pm

Yep...the new artwork is clearly a redesign of the 2002 international release. It's certainly not from the merchandise or the Platinum edition.

'Nuff said. We're all getting way to embroiled in princess details here. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Cinderella II Review!

Post by Dusterian » January 23rd, 2008, 5:20 pm

Ben wrote:Yep...the new artwork is clearly a redesign of the 2002 international release. It's certainly not from the merchandise or the Platinum edition.

'Nuff said. We're all getting way to embroiled in princess details here. :)
Wait, you have me thinking I'm crazy. I'm sure your near going crazy from all the princess threads lately, sorry I guess me and Once rushed in here a little too soon, but can you see that the image for the Platinum Edition (it was never on it, just used on the web site and promotional things) is just flipped horizontally so she faces the other way on the 2008 cover, with only the crown and necklace from the 2002 cover?

I promise I'll tone down the princess from now on...