Corpse Bride

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 24th, 2005, 4:58 am

SDG:

The problem with Burton's films is this -- his filmmaking is very superficial and concentrates on visuals so much that he doesn't really deal with stories well at all.

You're finding out something about Burton's films that a lot of people aren't aware of or don't want to admit -- their logic falls apart when you analyze them. You're right about the character motivation. It does seem a little too convenient and not well-thought-out.

Story logic is a problem with many films, but particularly fantasy films such as the Star Wars series and animated films. The Disney films have generally done a bit better in story development than most, but even some of the classics have their problems, too.

When a film makes you feel something for it -- this is called a film that has "heart" --, you generally gloss over a lot of minor story details. It bugs you more often if the film comes off cold or overly superficial. That's been my problem with Burton films from Batman onward... They're great to look at, but at the end it's like going out on a date with a good-looking person who has no personality and/or intelligence!

I've also had this problem with a great deal of classic science fiction films. The more scientifically-accurate science fiction films like 2001: A Space Odyssey are fantastic visually but the stories just leave you cold because of the acting and deliberate choices in dialogue and sometimes vague plots. I'll take a film that has more drama, likeable characters, and some questionable plot logic any day of the week over a film like 2001. That's not to put down films like 2001, but there are valid reasons why character-oriented science fiction is generally more popular than films like 2001.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 24th, 2005, 3:34 pm

Animated film + Warner Bros Marketing = 0.

Every time. The trailers and posters have had impact, but as George says, where are the tie-ins?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 24th, 2005, 3:36 pm

*OK not trying to sound like a broken record* (So forgive me) :oops: :oops:

Nightmare was produced in somewhat different circumstances (under Disney) so that might account for the "different feel" somewhat. (Also the discrepancy in merchindising effort)

Katzenberg was actually co-producer, although uncredited. (look it up on IMBD). Him and TB did not along, however.

Oh well, go figure. I still haven't seen it so I'm not making any judgements. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 24th, 2005, 3:54 pm

I posted a spoiler-free review of Corpse Bride in the "Theatrical Features" forum. SDG has also seen the film and has her own comments, too.

I repeat, that with only a few problems, I generally liked the film even though I don't think it's breaking any new ground artistically...

Minor correction added: Mac has seen the film, too.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 1st, 2005, 12:33 am

Again,

I didn't hate Corpse Bride. It's not perfect by any stretch, but it is good-looking fluff.

If you look on some boards, people gloss over the film's story problems and make it sound like the best film of the year (which it ISN'T -- of ANY year), others make it sound like it's proof that the Seventh Seal predicated in Revelations has been opened!

Seriously, there are people who think Burton is the devil!

I guess being called the devil is better than being called a racist... :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Corpse Bride's animation codirector Mike Johnson in Montreal

Post by friday foster » October 14th, 2005, 11:07 pm

This fall, fps and Montreal ACM SIGGRAPH are proud to provide Montrealers with a chance to meet stop-motion animator and director Mike Johnson, who has worked on Bump in the Night, The PJs, The Nightmare Before Christmas, James and the Giant Peach, and directed Tim Burton's Corpse Bride. Mr. Johnson is the second guest to appear as part of our Animation Innovator series of presentations.

He will discuss his experience in animation and the making of this film, as well as display puppets from the actual production. The presentation will also include the screening of his award-winning short, The Devil Went Down to Georgia.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by hcgulwell » October 18th, 2005, 11:07 am

its not out here till friday but cant wait!!! did an art internship and loved it!!! its so beautifully done. and soooo smooth. cant wait. woo hoo!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » October 30th, 2005, 11:41 am

I just saw it today (it came out in England last Friday) and I must say that I was rather impressed. It's not flawless; the film can get a bit style over substance at times and (cliche alert) it isn't as good as Nightmare Before Christmas. However, it is a wonderful experience, with amazing visuals and an interesting story. I especially liked the colour styling of the world of the dead and the Gone With the Wind reference. I definately recommend this film as it's one of the better non Disney related (i.e. the animated features and the Pixar hits) animated films of the last 20 years. I hope the DVD will be a good one too as I will probably buy it.
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by isaac15 » November 1st, 2005, 5:13 pm

i love the movie. wen is the dvd comeing out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by TBHuusmann » November 2nd, 2005, 7:41 pm

Think it was a funny movie with some really good animation in it!! But yeah the story is a bit thin told.. Could imagine if a more gifted(deep going) storyteller had made it, It would have been superb..

And another thing, even though I love his unique design, I really are getting tired of looking at the same kind of design and Environment!! And I think that makes the movie not reach TNBC, where the design and Danny Elfman lifted the movie to the level of very gooooood

-Vincent
-TNBC
-The Corpse Bride....
-BeetleJuice
-Batman
etc...

Sorry to say it but his style just isn't unique enough anymore... just my humble opinion... Try something new for god sake

look how Don Bluth is doing, at the moment!! says it all..
made Secret of NIMH (great), American Tail(very good), The Land Before Time(Good) then after that he wasn't really succesful until Titan A.E.. A movie which I think I good even though a lot in here would disagree

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 5th, 2005, 12:52 pm

Well, it seems I'm a movie or two behind...I just saw Corpse Bride last night (and still have Wallace & Gromit and Chicken Little to go).

I won't go on with in-depth appraisals, as anyone who would have wanted to see it would have by now (even me!), but here were my top-of-the-head thoughts:

Technically superior to Nightmare (the animation was just gorgeously smooth) though it didn't have the heart of Jack's adventure.

The story was interesting, though predictable, but there were some payoffs I felt I needed and didn't get, and thought it needed an extra scene or two (one in the middle, and one coda-type scene at the end). Mr Bonejangles song was understandably very Nightmare-esque, given the themes, but it didn't grate with me.

Ultimately, it was different enough from Nightmare that it wasn't annoying, and in fact had much more comedy in it. For any faults it had (ex: coming after such an amazing film as Nightmare), it was fun to spend more time in that kind of world.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Corpse Bride: DVD Press Release

Post by Wonderlicious » November 8th, 2005, 2:00 pm

http://dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=59159

Just thought that people would be interested with that. For my thoughts, see the 2nd reply there.
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 8th, 2005, 4:54 pm

Boy, that's... soon.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 8th, 2005, 5:30 pm

Sure love that cover, though.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 9th, 2005, 9:21 am

Nice to see a cover use the theatrical art, but then again WB is very good at that, even in their re-issues.

I don' think the window is particularly short - three months is about what most films are nowadays.

Interesting to see a few posts down from yours where the guy says he doubts there will be day-and-date releases in the cinema and on home vid - does he not know about Steven Soderberg's next film, being released in theaters and on DVD the same day, and that Zemeckis has mooted a similar fate for one of his upcoming movies?

Still, lack of commentary is a shame, but a nicely rounded out disc!