Re: Strange World

Post by Ben » April 15th, 2023, 1:56 pm

Absotively posolutely! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 15th, 2023, 2:03 pm

:)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 15th, 2023, 2:06 pm

Don't forget the ornaments:

Still have mine!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 15th, 2023, 8:21 pm

Nicely done advert!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » April 17th, 2023, 3:58 pm

Ben wrote:
April 15th, 2023, 3:11 am
Make better films, sell them well, and stop telling people everything's on streaming in three weeks and people will start to go back to cinemas. ;)
The first two parts of that sentence is why Mortal Engines bombed.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 4th, 2023, 10:12 pm

Finally saw it. And I liked it! My many classes in anatomy and physiology had me recognizing some of what was going on, though I hadn't guessed the full extent of the truth 'til the end.
Little did I guess that all those weird creatures "inspired by the animal body" were really inside an animal!
Sometimes, "good enough" is all we get, and I thought it was plenty good. Yeah, Disney feature animation could use some new storytelling ideas, but on its own this was a neat film. Lots of fun visuals, likeable (if familiar) characters, and a good score. About on par with Meet The Robinsons or Atlantis, a notch below Moana, and a little better than Raya. I watch these films to enjoy them, and so I did.

But out of all the films this has been compared to, I'm surprised that no one else here (or did I miss it?) brought up the one that seemed so obvious...
Osmosis Jones
And... It's not that I don't have my own gripes about the film. I'm only human.
I'm not sure that the whole reveal at the end will stand up to repeated viewings. It's a clever idea, and mostly well thought out, yet I don't think it all really works when you consider how they get around everywhere inside the turtle, even if it's not literally a turtle and it has an alien anatomy.

It bothered me that the implication was that Searcher - far for being a hero - actually nearly doomed his world by cultivating the plant in the first place. Also, the loss of a primary energy source would really be devastating. That was touched on, but... really, it's a pretty dark ending when one thinks about it. And maybe it was a little too uncomfortably on the nose in terms of commenting on our own fossil fuel energy conundrum.
I was also slightly bothered that these "humans" were obviously not on earth, so I like Droo's idea that they came from earth iintially. Yeah. That works for me.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 5th, 2023, 6:18 pm

GeffreyDrogon wrote:
April 17th, 2023, 3:58 pm
The first two parts of that sentence is why Mortal Engines bombed.
No, the first two parts of "Stop putting Peter Jackson's name on movies he didn't direct, and don't expect that the worst weekend in December is going to singlehandedly save poor audience recognition and unhelpful marketing, even if you are convinced that grabbing up any old YA-dystopia book series at random at Barnes & Noble is going to deliver another Hunger Games on a silver platter" is why Mortal Engines bombed...
Randall wrote:
September 4th, 2023, 10:12 pm
Sometimes, "good enough" is all we get, and I thought it was plenty good. Yeah, Disney feature animation could use some new storytelling ideas, but on its own this was a neat film. Lots of fun visuals, likeable (if familiar) characters, and a good score. About on par with Meet The Robinsons or Atlantis, a notch below Moana, and a little better than Raya. I watch these films to enjoy them, and so I did.
Darn, I still can't shake that unverified "Discarded BlueSky Will Ferrell project that Disney decided to salvage" fan theory, even if the Noble Social Intentions look like it was produced on the same assembly line as Pixar's Lightyear. It explains so many questions.