Jared Bush confirms that he will be involved:
https://twitter.com/thejaredbush/status ... H0nZg&s=19

He also confirms that the TV series is still happening:
https://twitter.com/thejaredbush/status ... _0wig&s=19

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Moana (Live Action Remake)

Post by Daniel » April 3rd, 2023, 2:38 pm

Feels way too soon. Would've much preferred a sequel.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 3rd, 2023, 4:13 pm

Yeah, the franchise isn’t even cold yet. :(

Animation may be officially dead. Why bother even making them anymore when they just turn out to be elaborate previz versions for (not as good) live-action movies with tons of animated CGI in them anyway?

Frozen is just a matter of time, and that Make Mine Music update, now named Hand Me Some Hip-Hop, is sure to follow.

Fun fact? They held back the Moana announcement from the weekend, as they didn’t think anyone would believe it had it gone out on Saturday! :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 3rd, 2023, 6:35 pm

This will be the first remake of a CGI flick! Wow.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 3rd, 2023, 7:29 pm

True, good point (well, from Disney at least, not counting DreamWorks' HTTYD). Can’t wait for Mars Needs Moms!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » April 3rd, 2023, 11:50 pm

Daniel wrote:
April 3rd, 2023, 6:35 pm
This will be the first remake of a CGI flick! Wow.
But it won't be the last unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure The Rock had something to do with this coming out so soon. He probably wants to play the character while he still can.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » April 3rd, 2023, 11:53 pm

I agree with Daniel it is way way too soon to 'remake' Moana into a live action film. There's plenty of older stuff that deserve another attempt - The Black Cauldron for example. This really feels like a vanity project for The Rock. I know Moana is popular on Disney+ but I haven't seen anybody asking for a live-action version.

And I agree with Ben, the way Disney is going, the animated films are just being treated as prototype for a live action movie. It's like Disney is embarrassed to be in the animation game. It's hard to imagine this is the same studio that was so proud of what they accomplished with Beauty and the Beast in 1991 and what that movie did for the acceptance of animated film by the non-children crown.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » April 4th, 2023, 2:31 am

Wrote it elsewhere, thought I might share it here too:

The way I see it is this:
If you look at the Disney canon, specifically Musker & Clements films, you'll see that some of them have cheap TV series (Moana will get a high budget series, but it's a series nonetheless), some of them have cheap DTV sequels and some have remakes (I'm pretty sure Treasure Planet and The Princess and the Frog will get remade at some point too), but none of them got a full length theatrical sequel made by other people, something about it just doesn't feel right to me. It also wouldn't surprise me that the reason Disney is doing a TV show and a remake instead of a sequel is perhaps because they contractually can't (just a theory), but also because what is there to tell? The story was complete. Yes a TV show is some sort of continuation, but it doesn't need to have big stakes like a sequel does, they can just go from one island to another and sing songs (sort of how I feel about Encanto - what can be done in a sequel that is bigger than the original whereas a TV show can just present the characters' day to day lives). Maybe that's just me but I never feel I need more out of something I love, I'm pretty much content with one movie, one story. For example - how would you feel about a sequel to The Lord of the Rings (something that unfortunately might actually happen nowadays)?

As for this remake - I get why people are upset and I agree that it's disrespectful to the animation team and animation as a medium (maybe that's why they asked Jared Bush to be a part of this). I was upset when Beauty and the Beast was announced, but at this point, after most of them getting this treatment, it's just whatever for me. No I still don't like it and I still think the idea of remakes is stupid, but I've come to accept that most Disney animated movies will be remade, this one is just happening sooner rather than later, so I have nothing to do but shrug :shrug:

I know people like Bob Iger and view him as the savior of Disney or whatever, but I feel that Chapek and he were the two CEOs that had the least respect to animation as a medium and an art form, and pretty much viewed it as IP factory they can exploit down the line.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 4th, 2023, 3:42 am

This DEFINITELY feels like they're trying to continue the marketing department's 00s Vidquel Glory Days that were ended abruptly by Lasseter, that they now believe they can "resurrect" now that everyone watches the LA movies, or at least doesn't care when they're on D+, and trying to adapt all those unfinished memos from twenty years ago.
I could smell it with the AristoCats remake, and now it's giving off heavy "David Stainton wants a sequel to every new 00s feature" vibes.

And I only say that because I know the usual suspects will throw a fit if I claim that Disney's still trying to save Moana's marketing fate from itself.
Since the LAs never resemble the original, maybe the remake will have an actual villain this time.
Farerb wrote:
April 4th, 2023, 2:31 am
For example - how would you feel about a sequel to The Lord of the Rings (something that unfortunately might actually happen nowadays)?
Tolkien claimed he considered it, but couldn't do it--
He didn't actually SAY it would be too much like Game of Thrones, but he did say in a letter that with no rings, no Baggsinses, no Sauron and no Elves, there wouldn't be any story, except a straightforward earthbound King Aragorn of Gondor, with maybe an obligatory callback for Merry & Pippin.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 4th, 2023, 5:27 am

I have a feeling that’s it’s Dwayne Johnson and his kids that are fuelling those D+ numbers…by themselves! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 4th, 2023, 1:42 pm

I could see them fleshing out Maui's story that Gramma Tala told in the original. Maybe seeing there was a different reason why his parents threw him into the sea. That, or lean more into the villainy. Adding a new villain would feel lazy.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » April 23rd, 2023, 11:30 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 24th, 2023, 4:42 am

Yeah…now his DC plans aren’t shaking out, Johnson has a lot of non-Black Adam space in his diary. Also, if as I suspect they hope this turns into a two or three film franchise — which you just know will be coming if the first is a huge smash as anticipated — they need to get the ball rolling sooner than later, or else Maui will end up as old as the grandma by the last one (my guess: if the first opens to over $100m, or anywhere close to $200m, they’ll film two sequels back to back).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » April 24th, 2023, 6:02 am

Wonder if they will follow up more on the hints in the animated film that moana may be a demigod? Her talking to the dead. Talking to the water, going into the realm of monsters that from what is said in the stories "no human can enter. Only monsters, gods and demigods" but she could and her surviving that fall that would have killed any human. "well, Shes dead".

In fact, the original script turned out she was the one controlling the water! They changed it after a test that made the water look alive and it became a character!