Smurfs

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Smurfs

Post by GeorgeC » October 12th, 2005, 2:58 am

Man oh man... Is this site behind, or has nobody besides me read about the controversy over the UNICEF Smurfs' PSA? This has been mentioned for at least 4 days now!

Anyhow, here's the storylink -- I'm not gonna rehash the whole thing again... Read it, laugh, and/or scratch your head at why ANYBODY thinks this a good idea.
http://www.screenhead.com/funny/animati ... 129984.php

As far as I know, NONE of the Smurf PSA clips online are "smooth as Baby Smurf's behind." All the ones I've seen are slideshows featuring stills from what looks to be the 1980s Hanna-Barbera series followed by new stills created for the UNICEF PSA. If this IS representative of the final UNICEF PSA and NOT just a very abbreviated, shortened video, then it's a pretty cheap production top-to-bottom from not only the concept (which has become a big topic of discussion Belgium where the Smurfs originated) but to the final product which looks cheaply made... That's if the videoclips online ARE indicative of the final (non-)animated product.

Smurfs are to Belgium what Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny are to the U.S. You bet people care how national icons are used in PSA's!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » October 12th, 2005, 3:05 am

Wait, you've only seen stills of the movie, really? I've seen them actually animated.

Needless to say, I think it's hilarious

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 12th, 2005, 3:34 am

Macaluso wrote:Wait, you've only seen stills of the movie, really? I've seen them actually animated.

Needless to say, I think it's hilarious

Yeah, no such luck yet. Every video I've managed to download has been the same French-narrated still-frame junk. I haven't managed to catch the fully animated PSA.

As I understand it, it's just grabs of scenes from the old TV series plus a new "ending" with Baby Smurf.

I admit I'm something of a hypocrite saying that they shouldn't be doing a PSA with the Smurfs considering I USED to play the Smurfs' DOOM! :lol:

Yeah, they replaced the Marine in that version of Doom with Gargamel! You got to be Gargamel fragging the Smurfs... :twisted:

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 13th, 2005, 3:04 am

Found a link to a news site that shows the animated portion of the PSA in FULL-FRAMES... this is NOT, I repeat, NOT the slideshow version. It's FULL-animation of the Smurfs being bombed to kingdom come.

http://wcco.com/entertainment/local_sto ... 85026.html

<Sigh> When is the UN going to learn that this is NOT the way to get people's attention on an issue?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 25th, 2005, 7:25 am

Smurfs are in a strange limbo land right now.

I was at MIPCOM last week and all they had was a corner with the same old three-foot high model.

Nothing on the three-picture CGI deal or any new shows. Shame...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Smurfs and the magic flute coming to DVD

Post by gaastra » August 22nd, 2008, 4:52 pm

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Site-N ... -USA/10367

The big-screen smurfs movie is getting a dvd release in america and canada.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 23rd, 2008, 1:30 pm

Yes! Excellent!

That's terrible cover art, and fans of the HB show are going to be confused a little, but this is an exceptionally animated (from memory) animated feature film, that came from before the HB series started.

Great news, thanks for posting!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 24th, 2008, 6:17 pm

Interesting... I always wondered about this movie, so it'll be cool to finally have a chance to see it. Thanks for the heads up.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » August 25th, 2008, 8:12 am

Excellent!

That was the first movie I saw in a cinema!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Yogi, smurfs, jetsons, and flintstones return to cn

Post by gaastra » December 13th, 2009, 5:00 pm

http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?t=261423

From toonzone.

12/15 - A Flintstones Christmas
12/16 - A Flintstones Christmas Carol
12/18 - Yogi's First Christmas
12/18 - A Christmas Story (???)
12/18 - 'Tis The Season To Be Smurfy

also

mon dec 14 9:00PM A Jetsons Christmas Carol

Bunch of classics return to cartoon network for christmas.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » December 14th, 2009, 7:23 am

I must be seeing things.... :shock:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » December 14th, 2009, 10:11 am

Two more to add to the list.

Casper's First Christmas and The Smurfs' Christmas Special are airing on Sunday, Dec. 20.