Peter Jackson's King Kong

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Gnomeo » July 11th, 2006, 2:31 pm

Ben wrote: Of course, that shot won't be in the film, but I'd sure like some voyage back development there. Would make a nice bit of suspense and explain how they got him back - the film's biggest question...
This question is part of the original's charm and PJ said he didn't want to change anything about it. So there is little chance for such scene in the extended version.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 11th, 2006, 10:48 pm

BTW Steven Spielberg said on the Jurassic Park special edition that the outline for JP was inspired by the original King Kong.

I thought that was really interesting, especially if you look at Jackson's Kong and compare it to JP, there are definetely some similarities. (and even some to JP: The Lost World, but in a good way of course. :wink: )
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 12th, 2006, 9:17 am

Do we really need an extended version of King Kong?! Don't get me wrong, it was a pretty good movie, but its' ridiculously long length really took away from it, for me. Peter Jackson and co really need to bite the bullet and make cuts every once in a while!
BTW Steven Spielberg said on the Jurassic Park special edition that the outline for JP was inspired by the original King Kong.
I'm actually in the middle of watching Jurassic Park, and that does make sense. Ian even mutters "What do they have in there? King Kong?" when they approach the gate (or something like that.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » July 12th, 2006, 4:43 pm

Well as much as I think this is partly a Peter Jackson decision, he would also be listening to the fans (as he has done before) and partly their want for one, as well as probably Universal saying that it would be a good idea.
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 13th, 2006, 2:46 pm

Money.

Universal wouldn't let him do it if there was no money to be made. It's a way for them to recoup costs spent filming and compositing material that would otherwise be left in a vault.

For the fans, it's a way to spend more time with Kong, as close to a follow-up as we'll ever get.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » July 13th, 2006, 4:42 pm

Well I mean Kong had some of the highest DVD sales this year didn't it?
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 13th, 2006, 6:03 pm

Yah, so why not have more? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 11th, 2008, 5:40 pm

King Kong announced for Blu-ray!
The Blu-ray version of King Kong will not only include the theatrical cut but also the extended edition
Though I doubt I'll get it, never got any of the multiple DVD versions. It's a good film, just not one I need to own. Watch me change my mind, ha. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 11th, 2008, 5:57 pm

Just watched the end of this on TV again the other night...I love it. Was just thinking how awesome this would look in HD.

Yay! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 11th, 2008, 8:21 pm

Last week, I was showing off the HD DVD to someone, and was so absorbed by it I had trouble stopping. This movie was the main reason i jumped into HD DVD, and the disc does look awesome. Don't know if I'll double-dip, though. The extended cut DVD (which I also have) already has scores of extra feaures, and I think I'll usually opt to stick with the original cut anyways.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 15th, 2009, 2:14 pm

How time flew by, Kong comes out next week on Blu! Although from what I've heard, it has zip nadda on the bonus features. Probably has a few, but nothing extensive as the DVDs. Double-doupping on Blu - it shouldn't happen!

In any case, here are some pics of the packagining.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 18th, 2009, 11:01 am

Since I'm guessing most of the bonus features were SD anyway, there would be little point repeating them on extra standard DVDs. I have the "suitcase" Diaries set, I have the theatrical cut and the extended box. One more to get it in Blu quality isn't a big double dip for me, at least on this title. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 18th, 2009, 11:40 am

I"m sorta surprised that it wasn't released on Blu-Ray yet.
It's a great movie.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 18th, 2009, 4:04 pm

Politics, Once. But they've now been sorted.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 17th, 2010, 7:57 am