Peter Jackson's King Kong

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 27th, 2005, 12:35 pm

Even though I really enjoyed the movie (including the ice-skating scene) in some ways I agree that Kong could have been a little scarier. Early on they establish that he's not really "bad", just misunderstood. I think they could have milked the fear a little longer.

Anyways, I still thought it was great! :D The film felt just right to me, not too long or too short in the slightest. It flew by, really. The early scenes on the boat definetly established the mood VERY WELL (something that's defintelely missing in modern horror films--remember Jaws?) The characterizations were wonderful, the setting Romantic, exotic, amazing. (especially those tribespeople!) They could have perhaps used a few more "scares" in the Spielberg vein (the kind that really make you scream) but it was still awesome.

Bravo, Mr. Jackson! :D
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 30th, 2005, 5:50 am

They should have cut an hour. Starting with the ice skating and the bug punching scenes!

You are entitled to your own opinion and I'm not trying to argue with it. But when a movie is three hours long, or even two, it can't just be nothing but a big ape killing stuff non-stop. I've seen this movie twice, and the odd thing is, it felt a lot shorter the second time through. I suppose the first time I just couldn't wait to get to the action.

But my point is, number one, Peter Jackson NEVER would've cut the spider-pit sequence. It is similar to a scene that was cut from the original "Kong". And what's wrong with the skating part? It gave Kong and Ann one more quiet moment together before he died.

Action movies can't be ALL action, you know?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 8th, 2006, 2:42 pm

Saw it yesterday for my birthday. LOVED it. My only complatin was it was WAY too long...And that stupid ice skating part. I mean...What was that??

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 8th, 2006, 2:54 pm

James McAvoy played Mr. Tumnus.

EDIT: Holy V-rexes! I thought this was the "Narnia" thread.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 8th, 2006, 4:29 pm

I've done that before.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 8th, 2006, 9:32 pm

Well, it feels weird.

EDIT: Happy late birthday, Meg.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 9th, 2006, 2:45 pm

:D

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 9th, 2006, 3:31 pm

K...saw Kong again on Saturday for the second time, and...

Apart from the sound being much better and LOUDER in this theater, I really felt the film dragged in the middle. Uh oh!!

Normally, when I see a film for the second time, be it one I loved or hated, they usually fly past even faster than before, but this did feel too long this time around.

Also, the encounter with the running dinos looked very fake without the excitement of seeing it all for the first time. Bad, in fact, giving away that the actors were not even running, but merely jogging on a treadmill in a green screen stage. Pretty poor.

But I still loved everything else - yes, even the ice skate part which really puts the lid on Ann and Kong's relationship and provides the calm before the final storm.

Plot holes started to really rear their ugly head though...I seemingly had to skip over more than I did before, and I wasn't sure that Jackson was as good of a director here as he was on Heavenly Creatures and Lord Of The Rings. I have to say that there were some strange choices that jumped out at me this second time around.

Anyone else seen it again, and how was it for you? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 9th, 2006, 3:40 pm

I have to say that there were some strange choices that jumped out at me this second time around.
Like what?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 9th, 2006, 11:27 pm

That's odd. When I saw "Kong" a second time, it seemed shorter, not slower.

"Horses for Courses", I suppose. ;)

Lino

Post by Lino » January 12th, 2006, 8:40 am

Kong was pretty awsome, I loved it and oddly it didnt seem that long to me, huh go figure.

I loved the bronto-stampede myself and of course the final scene.
anyone: favorite scenes?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 12th, 2006, 1:09 pm

My favorite scenes:

Bronto stampede.
Kong vs. the V-Rexes.
Spider-pit horror sequence.
Kong rampages New York.
Kong and Ann on the ice.

I like action, but I love those quiet moments, too. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

Lino

Post by Lino » January 12th, 2006, 5:30 pm

That pretty much covers the whole move but I agree, it was the bomb :D .

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » January 12th, 2006, 6:17 pm

The V-rex fight was the best. And Kong sitting while ann is playing dead and trying to escape.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 13th, 2006, 9:51 am

Lino wrote:That pretty much covers the whole move but I agree, it was the bomb :D .
Not the whole movie. Just most of the action scenes. :D