Peter Jackson's King Kong

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 21st, 2005, 3:21 pm

Not so bad, for the 1970s, but needed a big injection of humor and a smile on its face in the second half - Barry's score certainly is the thing that really sent it over the edge and makes the film more drab than it already is.
Speaking of which, don't you think the new Kong has an awesome score? (James Newton Howard I think.)

I thought the film was awesome too. :wink: And I really liked Jack Black. Naomi Watts was great! :)
And why can't these kind of films be 3 hours long? Whoever said that these kind of lengths should be reserved for lavish dramatic biographies or "message films"? Frankly, I like the fact that a film should take its time to set things up, create a world, and allow a properly constructed pay off at the end, especially on a movie where the two leads are different species and we still have to buy it.
I agree.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 22nd, 2005, 12:14 pm

I saw "King Kong" on Monday...

And, I swear, I must've DIED five times throughout the film, it was that exciting. The dinosaur stampede and Kong's fight with the three V-rexes had me to the point of screaming outloud like I was on a rollar coaster.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 22nd, 2005, 3:51 pm

Yeah, I don't mind about 3 hours either. I mean, my family is going to be paying 10 bucks a person (which is $50 in all) to see this, so of course we're gonna be wanting our money's worth for it.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 22nd, 2005, 5:44 pm

Yeah, three hours worked fine for me, but I had trouble figuring out when I could go to the bathroom (which I never ended up doing). Now I know that I could've gone sometime in the first hour.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 22nd, 2005, 7:33 pm

Thanks...I'll make a note. That was the main thing I was worried about, LOL.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 23rd, 2005, 8:18 am

Why don't you just go before the movie??

I found my seat, got stuck in, went to the toilet during the commercials and came back for the trailers and the movie. I even had a big drink through it and was worried I'd have to leave half way through again, but the film really does zip by. Doesn't feel like three hours, maybe 2:20-2:40 ish.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 23rd, 2005, 2:40 pm

Ben wrote:Why don't you just go before the movie??
I do, believe me, I do. It usually doesn't make a difference, and I end up going after it ends, too.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 23rd, 2005, 5:26 pm

I also made sure that I went before the film started, and I had a big drink as well. Truth be told, once we got to the action scenes, I forgot all about going.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 23rd, 2005, 7:28 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote:I also made sure that I went before the film started, and I had a big drink as well. Truth be told, once we got to the action scenes, I forgot all about going.
I usually go without a drink, or stash a juice box in my pocket (I hate soda...). Movie food is so dang expensive!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 26th, 2005, 11:21 am

You hate soda?

Are you human? (jk)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 26th, 2005, 3:01 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote:You hate soda?

Are you human? (jk)
No.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 26th, 2005, 4:49 pm

Aaahhhhhiiieeee!!!! :shock:

Ah, well, neither am I.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 26th, 2005, 8:29 pm

Maybe you should start a club? Can I join? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 26th, 2005, 10:48 pm

No, it's only for cool people.

Which is why I'm not in it either.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » December 27th, 2005, 1:28 am

I really didn't like it.

I'm a huge fan of Jackson, and I was really hyped up for this.

I came away feeling it was about 40 minutes too long, and had lots of really wierd stuff in it.

Some action sequences were awesome. Some were sloppy. At least one was completely boring. That punching and shooting giant crickets scene seemed to go on FOREVER!!!

By the time Ann and Kong had their romatic date ice skating in central park, I was gagging. What, he couldn't fit into a handsome cab!!??

What the hell? This is a MONSTER MOVIE!!! There's no ice-skating romantic scenes in a monster movie!

Kong looked great. Amazing animation and capture on all the creatures.

They disneyfied Kong. Totally pg-13ed him. They turned him into the Disney Mighty Joe Young. He killed like 3 times as many people in the original. Now he's sitting eating bamboo?!!? What? Kong's a vegetarian?!!

Ugh!

They should have cut an hour. Starting with the ice skating and the bug punching scenes!