Monster House

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 2nd, 2006, 3:01 pm

How can anyone prefer motion-capture over a shot like this? (from Disney archives uoffical website and Disney.com)

http://www.animationarchive.net/Feature ... 06_800.jpg
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 2nd, 2006, 3:08 pm

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » August 3rd, 2006, 6:20 pm

Mick LaSalle and other critics like him should be fired for plain stupidity.
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 4th, 2006, 3:22 am

Here's a critic who didn't like it, but not because of the visuals, which are apparently "computer animation." :roll:

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/ente ... S10720.htm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Beowulf preview on Monster House DVD?????

Post by kungfupanda » October 19th, 2006, 8:50 am

I heard somewhere that on the Monster House DVD, that ll be released in the States next week, there'll be a special preview of Robert Zemeckis' Beowulf. Zemeckis also produced MH, so it's a possiblity.

Anybody know anything about this?

Maybe someone who'll buy the DVD next week (and who wouldn't cause it's the smartest computeranimated movie this year) can check if the Beowulf preview is actually on there.

I read on this forum that a preview of Bee Movie is on the Over the Hedge DVD. So, I'm counting on you guys to deliver the info.

Thnx

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 20th, 2006, 7:51 am

I have the Monster House DVD.

There's no preview for Beowulf on the disc.

We get the Spidey 3 teaser (in anamorphic 2.35:1 widescreen!), Open Season, Zoom, RV, The Pink Panther and Are We There Yet? - some play at the start of the disc and all are available from the "Previews" option on the menu (in some of the SMALLEST text I've ever seen on a DVD menu).

So, unfortunately no sneak peek, but welcome to our boards! :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 20th, 2006, 10:06 am

You get the Spidey 3 teaser on the DVD? That's awesome! :D
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 23rd, 2006, 7:41 am

Yah...
Ben wrote:(in anamorphic 2.35:1 widescreen!) :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » October 23rd, 2006, 6:53 pm

Speaking of the Monster House DVD, I thought those of you looking for a good deal on it might find these ads interesting:

Best Buy ($16.99)

Kmart ("Low price")

Circuit City* ($16.99)

Wal-Mart will also have an exclusive package for the Monster House DVD, for $19.99. I'm not sure what the package is, although I believe it involves a bonus disc.

*For the record, the reason the Circuit City pic is so small is due to my having to get it online, rather than from the actual weekly ad.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 23rd, 2006, 9:46 pm

Well I have to rent the movie first, (which I'm planning to do this week) but these offers are to good to pass :P

Thanks for the help Mickey :wink:

And Walmart always seems to have a bonus disc, I know because I get most of my movies there. Just recently I got "Over the Hedge" and it came with a Hammy disc, though its not much, its still cool because its free :D

BTW: Walmart is the cheapest sometimes IMO, I got OTH for less than 15 bucks, which is awesome! but it goes up regular price after a week. So after this week, the other offers will still be better :wink:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » October 23rd, 2006, 10:17 pm

Daniel Jake wrote:Thanks for the help Mickey :wink:
You're welcome, Daniel. :)
Daniel Jake wrote:BTW: Walmart is the cheapest sometimes IMO, I got OTH for less than 15 bucks, which is awesome! but it goes up regular price after a week. So after this week, the other offers will still be better :wink:
About the Over the Hedge DVD you bought for under $15, Daniel, so that came with an extra disc? I thought Wal-Mart had two options for certain new releases: a regular DVD for around $14-16 and the regular DVD paired with a bonus present for approximately $19.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Matt » November 2nd, 2006, 8:26 am

Looks to be doing great on dvd, I guess coming out the week before Halloween helped.

Monster House Tops the Sales Chart
Source: The Hollywood Reporter November 2, 2006

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment's Monster House shot to No. 1 its first week in stores while DreamWorks Animation's Over the Hedge, the previous week's chart-topper, maintained steady sales to finish at No. 2.

Paramount's Nacho Libre debuted at No. 3 on Nielsen VideoScan's First Alert and No. 2 on Home Media Retailing's video rental chart for the week.

Universal's The Break-Up remained the top rental for the second consecutive week, adding another $8.3 million to bring its two-week take to $18.5 million.

"Nacho" generated a respectable $7.1 million at the rental counter, while Monster House earned $6.6 million to bow at No. 4, right behind Sony Pictures' Click, which after three weeks in stores has a video rental gross of more than $25 million.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 2nd, 2006, 3:38 pm

After finally seeing this movie last week, I have to say I loved it :P the story was great and I loved all the visual 3d effects.

I was surprised that the old man wasn't really the bad guy. its also kind of sad what happened to his wife, but she kinda brought on herself :?

Oh yeah, the main character was named DJ how ironic huh? :D and I liked chowder he was such a comic relief!

So now this goes on my Christmas list, yup its that good ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 2nd, 2006, 6:30 pm

I liked it too, especially the end where it was everything goes.

The mo-cap still didn't look quite right even with the caricatured appearances this time around - how come everything looks like it's running in slo-mo?

But it <I>was</I> different, pretty much what I was expecting, and...
...nice to see that the "deaths" of people were not revealed to be fake until into the end credits, so you <I>could</I> kind of have a version where what the house did was for real.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 2nd, 2006, 7:00 pm

I actually left when the credits started (I know, I know!) so I missed the bit with everyone coming back out...I was all like, "Wow, I can't believe they really killed off some characters! :P