Monster House

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 18th, 2006, 4:32 pm

Lol!

Actually, the adults in PE didn't look that bad. Tom Hanks, Tom Hanks and Tom Hanks, they were all pretty good. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 18th, 2006, 4:34 pm

The worst, though, were the elves. AAAAAACK!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 18th, 2006, 5:05 pm

No...the dancing waiters. Stiff as a board.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by animated_guy » May 18th, 2006, 7:09 pm

true. i want some dancing waiters too. :P
~a-G :wink:
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e167/gerardo7412/800px-Ratatouille_Trailer.jpg[/img]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 24th, 2006, 4:41 pm

Saw the new trailer at "Over the Hedge". When the fat boy said, "Oh, so it's a girl house", the audience of fifteen or so people erupted. It'll be interesting to see how many people show up to see the actual film. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 24th, 2006, 9:15 pm

The Monster House trailer got the best reaction out of our audience, too. They LOVED the, "Oh, so it's a girl house line." Now I don't have a choice of whether or not I'm going to see it, because my dad will drag me with him either way to it.

But (other than that stupid mo-cap thing) this looks pretty original, I have to admit.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 8th, 2006, 10:59 pm

Did anyone notice that the TV spots for this film rip off both the themes from Edward Scissorhands AND Beetlejuice? :roll:

Oh, they WISH....

Anyway, I'm not very impressed. Not really the "look" of the film (though it does turn me off) but the story looks boring and stale. Same old "smart kids defeat evil monsters" story from the last fifty films that we've seen....
Hello? Narnia, Harry Potter, etc...

Maybe I would like it better if it was CG or even....dare I say it....2d. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 9th, 2006, 9:43 am

Stop-motion. Shoulda been stop-motion.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 9th, 2006, 5:52 pm

Yeah.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 9th, 2006, 10:11 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention Lemony Snicket as another "kids-adventure" film (which also had the Edward Scissorhands music in the trailers.)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 10th, 2006, 3:15 pm

I was just about to mention that. The books are clever enough, but the whole 'idiotic adults and super smart kids' bit has always bothered me.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 10th, 2006, 10:46 pm

I agree.

One reason I love the film Matilda (based on the Dahl book) was because even though most of the adults are dumb, they're also quite evil instead of just "stupid villains" so you really feel there's something at stake.

And it's not really "kids against adults" but one little girl who has to trust herself.

(Plus her teacher Miss Honey is one of the good guys. :))

And in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, plenty of the adults are jerks but not all of them, and other than Charlie all the kids are rotten.

That's one reason I feel Raul Dahl's books are a lot deeper and more interesting than some of the children's literature hailed as "classic for the ages" nowadays.

He gets compared a lot to certain authors whose names I won't mention here :P but in my opinion there's no comparison.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » July 21st, 2006, 1:59 am

ShyViolet wrote:Did anyone notice that the TV spots for this film rip off both the themes from Edward Scissorhands AND Beetlejuice? :roll:
I noticed that right away. So many trailers use that kind of music, along with other songs like the score for "What's This" from The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Well, I'm going to see Monster House today before I go to work. Too bad I won't be able to comment about it until after work, which will be between 11 PM and midnight. ><

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by animated_guy » July 21st, 2006, 2:40 pm

rawr.
I might be going to g see monster house this weekend.
Maybe.
I'll probobaly end up going to go see lady in the water also.
~a-G :wink:
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e167/gerardo7412/800px-Ratatouille_Trailer.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » July 22nd, 2006, 1:30 am

I saw Monster House yesterday afternoon, but wasn't able to post until now.

It kicked you know what!

It was a very different kind of movie. I wouldn't really consider it to be a children's movie, due to several lines/scenes, but that only made it more enjoyable. I was laughing throughout the entire movie. One part almost made me cry because I was laughing so damn hard.

I went into the movie thinking Chowder would be my favorite and that DJ wouldn't have any personality whatsoever (I don't know why. I got that feeling about him from the trailers), but everyone in the film was likeable, even the careless babysitter, Zee.

And Jason Lee was perfect for playing the part of Bones, who is repulsive. He had to deepen his voice a little, but he wasn't hard to pick out. I already knew it was him before seeing the movie, but that was almost a year ago. ;)

I know everyone has been feeling kinda iffy about the whole motion capture thing. Honestly, it fit the movie. It didn't bother me at all. As a matter of fact, I loved many of the expressions the characters made. I knew it would be a good enough movie that I could look past the style of animation. I liked it anyway.

And what is really going on in that house? Of course I can't tell you, but it wasn't at all what I expected.

...And Chowder was my favorite. :mrgreen:

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]