Hoodwinked

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 16th, 2006, 6:17 pm

Meg wrote:Still think Wallace and Gromit will win....
...It better!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 16th, 2006, 6:36 pm

Yeah! Or else...Or else...Or else...um...

Or else we'll be upset!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 16th, 2006, 11:32 pm

My sister says that "Corpse Bride" was better than W&G.

As for me, I can't decide. Both of them were really good.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 17th, 2006, 1:10 am

Just got back from seeing it. I was very pleasantly surprised! The animation was as expected, but the story was really good and the voice acting was great. Even the music was good, though a little too many loud rock songs. With all the other aspects coming together so well, you can really forget the TV-quality animation and get caught up in the film.
That's how I felt about it. I should've put up a review of this when I saw it a month ago.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 17th, 2006, 11:30 am

When do we get it in the UK?

If it wasn't going to be released, I have a feeling it will be now, and I'd look forward to seeing it.

BTW, Corpse Bride was waaaaay better than W&G in terms of technique, but I agree the latter provided more laughs.

Both, I would say, were only just ok in the story department, and even if W&G was more amusing overall, it was more about the characters than the plot.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 17th, 2006, 12:36 pm

Ben wrote:BTW, Corpse Bride was waaaaay better than W&G in terms of technique, but I agree the latter provided more laughs.

Both, I would say, were only just ok in the story department, and even if W&G was more amusing overall, it was more about the characters than the plot.

My problem with Corpse Bride's story was that it seemed secondary to the film! It was as if they said to themselves: "we have these cool ideas, some beautiful visuals and a few good songs - how do we connect them together?" And then they constructed a thin plot around the good things they had.

W&G's appeal was definitely helped by the characters, but the story itself did not seem tacked onto them. The characters interacted and were driven by the plot - the story wasn't just a vehicle to watch them.

I agree that in what you're calling "technique", Corpse Bride was better. However, it almost seemed too good, if you know what I mean. It almost looked computer animated. Part of the appeal of W&G is that it isn't perfect, and you can tell that it is being manipulated by human hands.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Animated Overseas

Post by Ben » January 17th, 2006, 1:23 pm

piotr wrote:I was surprised to find that this animated film was animated in the Philippines!
Really? Are you being sarcastic? ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 18th, 2006, 10:56 pm

Is it just me, or do we have two topics for this film going on at once?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Animated Overseas

Post by PatrickvD » January 19th, 2006, 6:45 am

Ben wrote:
piotr wrote:I was surprised to find that this animated film was animated in the Philippines!
Really? Are you being sarcastic? ;)
I thought it was animated on Pixar's parking lot.... :P

No seriously it looks like poop, no matter how funny it is, I thought CGI had moved beyond this point of crappyness. It doesn't even pass for videogame intro anymore.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by piotr » January 19th, 2006, 6:08 pm

I wasn't surprised the the Wienstiens announced another CG film in the works, but a sequel to this one? Come on! Yuck, I hope they achieve game level quality for the sequel at least, and perhaps let the Phillipino animators put in their own jokes.
"Life is pointless, unless you score."
-Piotr
www.nuzarc.com

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 19th, 2006, 6:49 pm

They're making a sequel to "Hoodwinked"?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » January 19th, 2006, 6:53 pm

We reported on Hood vs. Evil today: http://www.animated-news.com/archives/00004423.html.

Expect the animation to be better next time around, as the sequel will have twice the budget of the first film.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 19th, 2006, 6:56 pm

Ah, I didn't see the News Page today.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 20th, 2006, 4:14 pm

I saw "Hoodwinked". My opinion seems to be that of others, in that it had a clever storyline and great voice work, but it needed better animation.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 20th, 2006, 8:42 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote:Is it just me, or do we have two topics for this film going on at once?
Not anymore! All three Hoodwinked topics should be merged into this one now!