Updated info on Star Trek: The Animated Series

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Updated info on Star Trek: The Animated Series

Post by GeorgeC » December 4th, 2005, 3:04 pm

Looks like it might happen for real soon...

From TheDigitalBits.com ( http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#1205 ) :

STAR TREK: The Animated Series Update

"We've got tentative word that might interest you Star Trek fans today. It seems like we report on this title about every six months, only to see its release delayed again. But sources are telling us that work is indeed underway on a long-awaited DVD release of Star Trek: The Complete Animated Series. If all goes well, look for Paramount to release the title early in 2006."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 4th, 2005, 5:12 pm

It's a fact that this WILL come out, as its just a matter of time. It made it out as the LaserDisc set, and its the only bit of old-school Trek still MIA on DVD.

Hopefully this "new" news will mean we'll finally be able to pick it up (and for less than $70 please!)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Zoltack » December 4th, 2005, 9:38 pm

An animated Star Trek. I am a Trek fan but I'm not sure if I will like it in animation because I'm use to seeing it in live action. I actually think they should stop making series. After Voyager it just got too old for me. Star Trek TNG was the best!!!
[url=http://photobucket.com/albums/y64/Zoltack/Bambi/?start=0]Bambi Pics and Avatars[/url]

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 5th, 2005, 12:56 am

I'm a BIG old-school (aka ORIGINAL) Star Trek fan and there's no way in heck I'm getting the 1970s animated series.

I saw a good chunk of it in syndication in the 1980s and wasn't impressed by it. Limited animation courtesy of Filmation and scripts that make the the last two Star Trek TV series (Voyager and Enterprise) look like Shakespeare!

(On the other hand, the Enterprise DOES look nicely drawn in the show but that's one of the few compliments I'll give this series.)

I'll get Star Trek V on DVD before I get Star Trek: TAS. I'll get Star Trek: Generations on DVD before I get Star Trek: TAS. I'll even WATCH Star Trek: Nemesis on DVD BEFORE I buy Star Trek: TAS! You get my drift on how much I dislike the animated Star Trek? :lol:

Now as for the ORIGINAL Star Trek TV series, that I WOULD get IF and ONLY IF Paramount reduces the prices on the boxed sets. I'm not up to spending $100 per set and I just can't see spilling out over $200 in one shot just to get the sets at reduced prices. Uh-uh. The sets have to go UNDER $70 each before my wallet opens up.

Trek TV is just ridiculously overpriced right now!

No question it'll be mostly TOS Trek fans that buy the animated series set, but there are a couple of fanboys who DO have every Star Trek DVD and boxed set released on the market so far.

I'm not one of them.

I don't even have a single Trek movie on DVD yet!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Zoltack » December 5th, 2005, 1:51 am

I got the Star Trek The Motion Picture, Wrath of Khan... well all of them in a box set for $75. I thought that wasn't too bad. I mean if you got them separately, yeah it's a total rip off but usually they give you a good deal on these box sets. For 6 movies that's a good deal.
[url=http://photobucket.com/albums/y64/Zoltack/Bambi/?start=0]Bambi Pics and Avatars[/url]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 5th, 2005, 9:36 am

I am getting the Trek 10-movie/20-disc set for Christmas, as I found it fairly cheap at £80 (approx $140 I guess).

I'd love the original Trek, but not at those prices (they're even £70 here, which is rediculous) and will happily wait for them to come down. $30, $40 or $50 is about right for these, and what I would be willing to pay.

I'll get TAS if it's priced right (again $25, $30 or $40) but not anything higher than that. It wasn't great, but I did like some of the episodes and they tied in with the original show. Sure, it was cheesy, but if I'm going the whole hog on the original crew, I should get it. But only if the price is right.

I'd love to pick up the follow on shows, but after a while it gets silly and I'll never watch them, so it's a waste of money and space (geddit??) which I would prefer to save on other things.

Paramount really know how to squeeze this from the poor fans don't they, with their Borg boxes and Best Of releases which go back to the LaserDisc and VHS days. Then we had to buy again on DVD and you'll bet that they release "new and improved" versions in Hi-Def at some point.

Not for me: I'll stick with the original crew TOS sets, the movies (I'll go the whole hog and get the 2-disc SE box as it's nice to have SOME TNG and round the series up of the ten movies) and the animation series, and that's it.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 16th, 2005, 12:11 pm

From the Digital Bits, http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#1215

"12/15/05

Well... we've confirmed with multiple sources now, each in places to know, that work is definitely underway at Paramount for a 2006 DVD release of Star Trek: The Complete Animated Series. And we have a little bit of additional information today as well. In our last post, we'd said to expect the title early in 2006. We're now hearing that mid-to-late 2006 is the more likely timeframe. One source told us not to expect the title on the studio's release schedule before June, and a couple of others have let us know that September or October is tentatively planned. Upon doing some research, September would make sense. It was back on September 8th of 1966 that the original Star Trek series first debuted on NBC TV here in the States. That would make September 2006 the franchise's official 40th Anniversary. Heck... they canned Enterprise, there are no new movies on the way yet. Paramount's gotta do SOMETHING for the 40th Anniversary, right? Makes sense to me."

Hopefully, Paramount will use that extra time to put DECENT extras on the TAS set, clean up the video and audio masters, AND think about a GOOD realistic price to set the series at!

2006 might ALSO be a good time to think about repricing the ORIGINAL SERIES sets so that more people will buy them!

There are also rumors about a new Trek movie with "the Captains" in it, but I would take that with a grain of salt. Sounds like B.S. being floated to test the waters.