Masters of Horror

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
Code Horror

Post by Code Horror » August 20th, 2006, 8:36 pm

Ben wrote:But...The Omen remake was very, very poor.
Funny, some people including myself actually liked it; you want real poor remake? Look at Gus Van Sant's Psycho.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 20th, 2006, 8:51 pm

Yes, that was poor (and pointless) too, although hearing Bernard Hermann's amazing score in surround courtesy of Mr Elfman was spectacular.

I'd love a "legacy" type box set that put the original, the sequels, the TV movie and the remake in one box...that would be awesome.

Code Horror

Post by Code Horror » August 20th, 2006, 9:03 pm

Ben wrote:Yes, that was poor (and pointless) too, although hearing Bernard Hermann's amazing score in surround courtesy of Mr Elfman was spectacular.

I'd love a "legacy" type box set that put the original, the sequels, the TV movie and the remake in one box...that would be awesome.
Just as long everyone who worked on the 4th film admitted that Omen IV is a failure, Schumacher and co. admitted that B&R sucked so why not Harvey Bernhard and co. admit their failure on Omen IV?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 20th, 2006, 9:08 pm

I was talking Psycho.

Only the original Donner Omen interests me, and maybe the first sequel, Omen II: Damian.

BTW, there's no need to quote messages from the post right above. It's clear what the responses are to.

Movie-Man used to do that. A LOT. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 21st, 2006, 1:38 am

although hearing Bernard Hermann's amazing score in surround courtesy of Mr Elfman was spectacular.

I might rent it just for this. I LOVED the theme from Psycho. :) (I've seen about half of the first Psycho--gotta whatch the rest!)

Seen most of Psycho II (I know, I know--I was pretty young so I didn't know any better. :roll:)

Plus part of Psycho III which was grade-A awful. (Poor Tony Perkins. :? )
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 21st, 2006, 10:13 pm

Psycho II was, pretty much, a decent stab (sorry, pun intended) at a sequel to a pretty much untouchable film. The concept, coming many years later, was tight.

By Psycho III, which I believe Perkins did only because he could direct it, they resorted to a cheap rip-off, though it has two good sequences in it.

I actually loved what Mick Garris did with Psycho IV, which had Norman talking on a phone-in show and relating his past...how he came to be who he was and why he went on to do what he did. Perkins was great, and Henry (ET) Thomas made a good Bates, a few years younger than the one we encountered in the 1962 original.

I actually have the original pressing of the Hitchcock film, of course, but would spring for a box with the new anamorphic transfer they just did and the sequels, and including the remake in the box would make for some very interesting comparison, and there's something about it that is audacious about what they were trying to do. I always find myself glued to it, like a touring cast version of a hit so well worn that everyone might as well be acting along and reading the lines out with the actors!

Code Horror

Post by Code Horror » September 16th, 2006, 2:56 am

So, did anyone see the latest episode of Masters of Horror on DVD? This time it's Dance of the Dead directed by Tobe Hooper and written by Richard Christian Matheson, son of Richard Matheson.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 16th, 2006, 7:08 pm

Tobe Hooper

Wasn't he the official director of Polterguist? (who kinda got run over by Spielberg? :wink: )
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

Code Horror

Post by Code Horror » September 17th, 2006, 12:20 am

ShyViolet wrote:
Tobe Hooper

Wasn't he the official director of Polterguist? (who kinda got run over by Spielberg? :wink: )
Yup, same dude and he also directed the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre even the DVD cover says

"From the director of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Poltergeist"

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 17th, 2006, 9:30 am

Maybe that should read: "From the director of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and the credited director of Poltergeist" ;)

Code Horror

Post by Code Horror » September 17th, 2006, 3:48 pm

Ben wrote:Maybe that should read: "From the director of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and the credited director of Poltergeist" ;)
Ok, what is with that rumor? Why does everyone keep saying Tobe Hooper didn't direct all of Poltergeist also if anyone's curious, here's the trailer to Hooper's episode Dance of the Dead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoQvMRfPYh4

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 17th, 2006, 6:31 pm

Ok, what is with that rumor? Why does everyone keep saying Tobe Hooper didn't direct all of Poltergeist

In a biography/film book I have about Mr. S, it said that Spielberg was not only co-producer but wrote the script as well.

In addition, Spielberg said in interviews (even while praising Tobe for his directing, whom he commissioned because he was so impressed with Chainsaw Massacre) that "Tobe just isn't a strong presence on the set. If there was a problem, I'd jump up and say what we could do. Tobe would nod agreement, and that became the process of collaberation."

That's also why the summer of '82 became known as "The Spielberg summer" with E.T. and Poltergeist coming out. Tobe couldn't have been very happy about this.... :roll:

The poor guy, his next film was "Lifeforce." Geez..... :(

Code Horror

Post by Code Horror » September 17th, 2006, 6:57 pm

ShyViolet wrote:In a biography/film book I have about Mr. S, it said that Spielberg was not only co-producer but wrote the script as well.

In addition, Spielberg said in interviews (even while praising Tobe for his directing, whom he commissioned because he was so impressed with Chainsaw Massacre) that "Tobe just isn't a strong presence on the set. If there was a problem, I'd jump up and say what we could do. Tobe would nod agreement, and that became the process of collaberation."
I know he wrote the script but I still consider Poltergeist a Tobe Hooper film and wait, Speilberg liked The Texas Chainsaw Massacre? He doesn't seem like the person who goes for gorefest films like Horror fans and myself actually but you know ironically enough, Tobe Hooper directed an episode of the mini-series Taken which was executive produced by Steve Speilberg himself and so, any thoughts on the trailer to Hooper's Dance of the Dead?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 17th, 2006, 7:17 pm

Spielberg has kind of a dark side to him....witness all that blood and gore in Jaws, Jurassic Park and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Those films had some of the scariest and most disturbing moments in cinema history. :wink: If you ask me, Spielberg has done some of his best work in those films.

Plus even if you're not a horror fan, TCM is still considered a movie classic.

Code Horror

Post by Code Horror » September 17th, 2006, 7:22 pm

You got me there but I never knew Speilberg actually liked The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I love the film but I just find it surprising that he watched the film before but did he ever watch the remake?