This is kinda sad

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

This is kinda sad

Post by ShyViolet » September 30th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Yeah I know...more Youtube. :roll:

I don't know if anyone here remembers but about 1990 there was a HUGE demand for comics because of Batman and the Ninja Turtles. For some reason people started believing that if they buy comics today they'll be worth millions of dollars in the future. (I know because later on I was one of them.) This demand pretty much led to the "crash" during 1995 or '96, (people just stopped buying them because they weren't increrasing in value) when Marvel Comics went bankrupt and almost had to fold.

Anyway, this news story talks about the comics and comic book collecting...VERY retro. :wink: Trust me, this video's worth watching. :wink: :P

(Mark Hammil and Julius Schwartz both comment. :wink: )

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » October 1st, 2006, 4:29 am

I love how they act like the Turtle comics came about after/because of the movie. Those were the Archie TMNT comics. A fun series in itself, but not the originals.

But they're right, you can pick up TMNT comics for about $1-3 dollars, not that much at all (and I refer to the real pre-cartoon Mirage comics here). The only one that seems to have any real value is if you can pick up an early printing of TMNT #1.

Comic books are just fun. I don't care about their value so much, I just love 'em.
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ninja_otter/SKsignature.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: This is kinda sad

Post by Ben » October 1st, 2006, 10:16 am

ShyViolet wrote:Yeah I know...more Youtube. :roll:
So can't you put it in one of the other funny video threads we have open?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 1st, 2006, 6:51 pm

So can't you put it in one of the other funny video threads we have open?

Sorry...I will next time. :oops:
Comic books are just fun. I don't care about their value so much, I just love 'em.
Me too! :)

I actually used to have X-Men #1, but it was a 1979 reprint. Still... :wink: :roll:

Plus I think my family had one of the comics from that funny comic covers website....we found it in the back of the garadge after we first moved in. But it wasn't in the "greatest" condition....still looked O.K. though.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 3rd, 2006, 2:39 pm

I have a TON of first run comics in my garden shed. They're probably worth a bit too. Every year I think I'll dig 'em out. Mainly Marvel X-Men stuff. I should get out there and take a look!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 3rd, 2006, 2:52 pm

Mainly Marvel X-Men stuff.

From before "Second Genesis" or after? Mostly 60s, 70's 80's or 90s? I hear the Chris Claremont stories are the best. I actually had this cool one from the 80's where Pheonix comes back and takes Rachel Summers' form.

I agree that comics increase in value, but you have to know A LOT about them to even have a chance. You have to know which characters are "hot", which issues are rare, etc....It's not for the faint of heart. :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 3rd, 2006, 5:28 pm

Late 80s/early 90s mostly I think, though I remember there being some earlier. I'd stack 'em up and sort 'em out and have someone look over them to tell me what they thought. I'd doubt that many of them would be collectors items, but there could be a couple where you never know!

Actually, I'm going to make that a priority before winter comes on too harshly.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 4th, 2006, 12:52 am

The last time X-Men was any good (IMHO) was when Chris Claremont was teamed up with Jim Lee (about 1988-1991).

(FYI, I've got EVERY issue of their collaboration on Uncanny which is by far the best Marvel work Jim Lee ever did... It's also the last time excepting the first 3 issues of New X-Men that Claremont was good, too.)

Unfortunately, that was the beginning of the end for Claremont on his uninterrupted X-Men stint (16 years!) since Marvel's editors correctly guessed that Jim Lee was the bigger drawing-in factor for newer fans rather than Chris Claremont. The editors gave more and more control of the comic to Lee as time progressed and Claremont left the series in a huff. The comic hasn't been the same since, and Claremont hasn't written that well in a LONG time, too.

Claremont's heart doesn't really seem to be into the writing and Marvel hasn't had a competent X-Men line editor since the early 1990s. It's just not a good combination for excellent writing.

My personal favorite era of X-Men is the Byrne/Claremont era (Uncanny X-Men #107-143) which predates the beginning of my entry in comic book-collecting (which I've given up as far as monthlies go due to both price and the generally lousy quality of stories nowadays). I've read most of the issues of this run in reprints -- both Essential and story arc TPBs. There just hasn't been another X-Men run since that one that matches it at all in character development and ramifications. It's no big surprise that the (lackluster IMHO) live-action X-Men movies draw their biggest plot points from the Byrne/Claremont run.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 4th, 2006, 1:23 am

More than ANYTHING I LOVED Age of Apocolypse. I've been thinking about getting the whole collection of graphic novel reprints for that.

But after that one, the writing got even more preachy. (a feat in itself.)
I just lost interest. Oh well.

The best thing was X-Men Adventures, the comic based on the cartoon, the stories adapted by....comic book fan Ralph Macchio! :) He did an awesome job. The only thing I didn't like was that my favorite episode: "Till Death do Us Part", a two-parter, was illustrated terribly, with weak colors...AWFUL!

I also loved X-Men Unlimited, because those were real stories from begining to end, 64 pages.
The best one was where Nightcrawer found out he was really Mystique's son, very cool.
Plus I also liked how Graydon Creed, sort of a mutant-hating guy like Senator Kelly, finds out that he was the son of mutants, Mystique and Sabretooth.
But you guys who read the 80's comics were way luckier--I was able to read one or two of those and the writing is a thousand times better than most of the '90s ones. :(

Also, has anyone read the New Batman and Robin adventures or something? It's being written by Frank Miller, his version of how Batman and Robin met, which is somewhat darker. Basically a 12-year-old Dick Grayson becomes Robin right after his parents are killed. Batman is the Frank Miller version; older, mean and basically a jerk. He tries to leave Robin in the Batcave to starve because "That's how I survived." Alfred doesn't agree and gives Robin food anyway, and a place to sleep. And Batman is pretty ticked at Alfred for this. Like i said, it's pretty dark.
It's no big surprise that the (lackluster IMHO) live-action X-Men movies draw their biggest plot points from the Byrne/Claremont run.
QUICK_EDIT
There's also a lot of stuff from the original animated series. (which of course was from the comic)

Like when Jubilee runs away from the mansion in Night of the Sentinels, Wolverine wants to go after her, just like when he goes after Rogue in X1.

Mystique infiltrating the mansion and taking others' shapes to stir up trouble is very reminiscent of the "evil" Morph's actions in Till Death Do Us Part, part 1.

It's mostly the Singer films that do this, which makes sense, since I guess Bryan didn't feel like reading a bunch of comics :roll: and just watched the entire series, every episode. (he has said that in interviews.) So he probably used it as a guide.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 4th, 2006, 9:16 am

ShyViolet wrote:It's mostly the Singer films that do this, which makes sense, since I guess Bryan didn't feel like reading a bunch of comics :roll: and just watched the entire series, every episode. (he has said that in interviews.) So he probably used it as a guide.
Well, Heaven forbid anyone making a comic book movie should read the original soure material COMIC BOOKS, especially Singer, who we all know knows EVERYTHING about how to translate comic book characters to the screen. I mean, all his comic book movies are classic, brilliant masterpieces.

Just like Frakes on Thunderbirds. WHO hires a guy to make a version of Thunderbirds when his first words on the publicity trail were "I was never a fan of the original series".

:roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 5th, 2006, 1:52 am

Well, Heaven forbid anyone making a comic book movie should read the original soure material COMIC BOOKS, especially Singer, who we all know knows EVERYTHING about how to translate comic book characters to the screen. I mean, all his comic book movies are classic, brilliant masterpieces.
Ha ha. :P

Although it's true that Tim Burton didn't really read the Batman comics before he made the films, but he did remain true to the essence of Batman, even if he changed some things.

I still wonder how he would have done with Superman... :?:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 5th, 2006, 7:26 am

Well, as a graphic artist himself Burton was much more aware of the comics that people give him credit for, especially the older Kane ones.

Were the script changes to Batman lore Burton's idea? I thought it was Uslan than pushed for Joke to have killed Bruce's parents and make it more a full circle thing.