Charlie Brown Specials

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 12th, 2009, 5:56 pm

Hard to tell? It's a clear 8 for the special and 8 for the disc to me. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 12th, 2009, 6:48 pm

Yes, hard to tell, the scoreboard is super tiny and I can't make it out. Dunno if it's just me.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 12th, 2009, 11:27 pm

It must just be you. It's big as day on my screen. :)

I'm glad you guys didn't mind the shorter review. After reviewing so many Peanuts specials lately, it's getting harder to come up with new things to say about Charlie Brown. Those were pretty good specials, though.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 13th, 2009, 10:55 am

Just you Dan...try doing a hard refresh on the screen...sometimes our png images shrink to silly proportions for some reason, but I usually find a refresh sorts it out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 10th, 2009, 9:30 pm

:arrow: The long-rumored complete boxed set of Peanuts TV specials is now semi-official! :D
Warner Home Video has announced a Peanuts: 1960s Collection DVD box set for release on 7/7 (SRP TBA). The 2-disc set will include all of the classic Peanuts shorts released in the 1960s, including A Charlie Brown Christmas, Charlie Brown's All-Stars, It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, You're in Love, Charlie Brown, He's Your Dog, Charlie Brown (new to DVD) and It Was a Short Summer, Charlie Brown (also new to DVD). The set will also feature the The Maestro of Menlo Park: Vince Guaraldi documentary. This set will be followed by a Peanuts 1970s Collection: Volume One box set, and presumably a Volume Two set as well, at a later date (both still TBA).
Above quoted from The Digital Bits - My Two Cents .. March 10, 2008

No word yet on the four Peanuts theatrical films .. but hopefully, those are in the works, as well.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 10th, 2009, 9:46 pm

Hooray! Thanks for the news, Droo!

So basically, hold off on the individual releases because they might turn up in these fancy box sets, eh? (Seeing as the X-mas and Halloween specials are present) I know Rand is gonna love this news! ;)

Update: package art and trailer! Wow! Definite buy and nice cover art - simple, yet affective. :D

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 11th, 2009, 1:37 am

Well, it's nice, but... with only two new-to-DVD specials, I'm a little undewhelmed. Still, I won't complain, and the 1970s volumes sound promising.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » March 12th, 2009, 8:31 pm

Wasnt snoopy come home already released onto DVD?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 12th, 2009, 11:16 pm

Randall wrote:Well, it's nice, but... with only two new-to-DVD specials, I'm a little undewhelmed. Still, I won't complain, and the 1970s volumes sound promising.
Sorry if they've overdone the holidays in singles, but FWIW, it is Completist for the decade--
Quick IMDB check shows that there only were six specials between Christmas '65 and Short Summer '69 (and a break for the first movie).

The assembly line hit its stride in the 70's beginning with "Play It Again, CB", so looks like we'll be getting multi-volumes on those. (14 divided by 2.)
And typical of Warner to feint us off with single-disks before right-crossing us with boxsets...If it weren't that I'd just bought the Holidays box last Christmas, I'd be buying this one.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 12th, 2009, 11:31 pm

Snoopy Come Home and A Boy Named Charlie Brown both came out on DVD. But none of the movies belong to Warner Bros.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » June 4th, 2009, 11:34 am

Anything new with any specials being planned for a DVD release? I heard there's a rumor going around about the movie "Bon voyage Charlie Brown{And dont come back!}" is heading for a dvd release.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 5th, 2009, 12:54 am

The 60s collection is coming out soon.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 8th, 2009, 4:47 pm

Our review of the skimpy but still entertaining 1960s collection:

http://animated-views.com/2009/peanuts- ... ollection/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » August 16th, 2009, 11:26 pm

The 60's collection was worth it to get for the two new-to-DVD specials. They seemed very vaguely familiar to me and I wondered if I had seen them when I was really little. Wonder if there's a way to check when they might've aired after their original releases.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Charlie Brown Specials

Post by droosan » April 4th, 2011, 4:25 am

I picked up the newly-made DTV special Security is a Warm Blanket, Charlie Brown, and watched it earlier this evening.

This is an excellent outing; very much in the vein of the earliest Peanuts TV specials. The situation -- and 99% of the dialogue -- is taken directly from the various comic strip 'arcs' in which Linus attempts (or is alternately forced) to give up his blanket. The story-telling is very 'episodic', but still manages to build toward a climax which ties the various story threads neatly together.

The animation is 'tradigital' -- but very nicely done, with a definite 'hand-crafted' look. There's a few angles and shots which mightn't have been attempted during the Melendez days .. yet it still retains a mostly 'vintage' feel; the characters seem to be modeled closely after Schulz's mid-1960's drawing style.

The child voice actors are quite good, as is (somehow!) nearly always the case .. and even the jazzy underscore by Mark Mothersbaugh has more than a hint of that 'classic' Peanuts magic. :)

There's neither a U.S. history lesson nor a 'social issue' to be found anywhere. Just the insecurities, unrequited loves, and wistful silliness which characterize the comic strip at its best.

The special features make it obvious that this project was a labor of love for everyone involved. But that was already evident from watching the movie itself. I'm definitely looking forward to another Peanuts special from this crew .. they knocked this one out of the park..! :mrgreen: