Charlie Brown Specials

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 1st, 2008, 2:55 pm

New announcement, this time for You're a Good Sport, Charlie Brown. Yay!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 1st, 2008, 11:25 pm

Very cool that this disc is coming out, but I'm disappointed that we haven't heard more about a box set yet. I thought that the non-holiday specials would be getting packaged in bigger sets. Still, this looks like a nice disc on its own.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 2nd, 2008, 12:20 am

And filler shorts are okay, but seems they could step up their releases if they gave us an EXTRA EPISODE??

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 2nd, 2008, 2:06 am

Here's our Great Pumpkin review:
http://animated-views.com/2008/it%E2%80 ... e-edition/

A mailing snafu made this one a bit late, but we're looking forward to reviewing the next crop coming out next week.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 2nd, 2008, 2:09 pm

Nice review Rand, I fully agree.

About You're a Good Sport, cover art has been made available on my previous link. Y'know, I'm thinking it might have been made available separately because, like TSoD said, it's one of the most popular non-holiday shorts. I remember the plan saying they're going to bundle the lesser known shorts together. But yes, a little disappointed and I do hope we hear something about those box sets.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 8th, 2008, 9:21 am

I see there is a boxed set of the 're-mastered' editions of the 'big three' holiday specials (Christmas, Hallowe'en, and Thanksgiving). And that there are re-mastered editions of the Valentine's Day and Easter specials .. as well as a re-mastered You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown.

The trouble is, I already have all of these specials on DVD, in the earlier versions (I also have them all on laserdisc, too .. in addition to all four of the Charlie Brown feature films) .. so I dunno if I want to bother re-buying them, individually; 'remastering' and/or bonus features notwithstanding. :?

-----------------------

Is a boxed set of all 40+ Peanuts specials eventually intended ..? Or is that merely a 'hoped-for' possibility? :?:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 8th, 2008, 1:48 pm

The former. Unfortunately the link no longer works, but I did quote it here. There is also a TSoD link a few posts up that might be of some help too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by tyler283455 » October 8th, 2008, 3:07 pm

Anybody know when Charlie Brown halloween special will be on tv?
[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e314/joris1/ecede288.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 8th, 2008, 3:48 pm

Not yet, but I'll keep you posted. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 9th, 2008, 5:10 am

droosan wrote: as well as a re-mastered You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown.
And even though the TSoD description lists no bonus episode for "Elected" except the "Bully" short, the description on the iTunes download version also lists "What Have We Learned, CB?" (the WWI Memorial Day episode) as a "second bonus episode"...
Similarly, "Good Sport" may have now been amended to include "You're the Greatest, CB", (third in the Masked Marvel Trilogy, with CB running in the school Olympics.)

We don't have the actual DVD yet to check, but could be possible that the "real" B-backlog bonus episodes just aren't being listed in the press copy?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 19th, 2008, 11:21 pm

Fans of Charlie Brown and Charles Schulz will want to take a look at our latest review. Be sure to check it out:

http://animated-views.com/2008/a-boy-na ... cumentary/

Then, we'll be looking at the recent DVD releases. (Great Pumpkin has already been posted.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » October 20th, 2008, 11:45 am

Wow, sounds neat. I'll have to look into getting that one. As an aspiring writer, I've always admired Charles Schulz because even after his massive success, he never lost his humility or love for the work. I admit, rather red-faced, that I still haven't picked up any of WB's dvds but it's definitely on my to-do list.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 20th, 2008, 1:58 pm

Don't worry, Eddie, you're not alone. While I enjoy the Peanuts shows, there are only a couple that I find truly essential, so I'm happy to hold out and see where the series takes us. If the rumors of a total set at the end of the line is what's really in store, I'd be well up for that, also to fill in some viewing gaps. That's my plan, anyhoo, hopefully including some films. Material like this documentary could well end up a supplement, perhaps?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 20th, 2008, 3:28 pm

Also, for those currently with Melendez-special withdrawal, all 18 episodes of the comic-strip "Charlie Brown & Snoopy" Saturday-morning series are currently available for download on iTunes Store, even though it's never gone to disk yet... :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 20th, 2008, 4:26 pm

Great piece, Rand! I'm really tempted now, but I'm hoping it does see its way onto a box set in the foreseeable future. Though it's on my wish list just the same.