Favorite 80's Cartoon?

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by sleepynjaded » March 22nd, 2007, 5:18 pm

ShyViolet wrote:The Pink Panther shorts (had to be the old ones, because he NEVER talked) were popular in Israel too! :)

I think they were the classic ones.
The classic Pink Panther shorts were great! It's amazing how a cartoon that featured a silent character can be so hilarious. Pink Panther spoke only once, I believe, or was it twice? But yeah, love this cartoon and when I found out about it being released on DVD, I immediately ordered it. :o

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 23rd, 2007, 5:07 am

sleepynjaded wrote:The classic Pink Panther shorts were great! It's amazing how a cartoon that featured a silent character can be so hilarious.
And people are doubting WALL-E...? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 16th, 2007, 8:49 am

30 minutes of '80s cartoon themes!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 16th, 2007, 4:22 pm

I am in your debt James!! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 17th, 2007, 8:40 pm

Yes, PBS was a big one... back when Sesame Street was still good (instead of segments that they repeat every single day) and with awesome cruddy animations teaching me about numbers Smile
Totally agree! :)

Here's a clip of something from Sesame Street I watched at a very young age in Israel, then again later in America. :)

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 17th, 2007, 9:19 pm

Here's the original version, in English. :D

(much better quality too.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 17th, 2007, 9:45 pm

Didn't Pixar's Bud Luckey write, sing, AND animate that? I think I read that somewhere back when Boundin' came out. He also did Ladybug's Picnic I think. And probably many more!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 17th, 2007, 10:08 pm

OMG are you kidding me??? :shock:

That's just awesome, for lack of a better word. :wink:

I thought the guy singing it sounded a bit like Randy Newman, actually. :)

Also.....

Heres the Ladybugz!!! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » April 18th, 2007, 3:38 am

Hah! I still can't see Youtube stuff, but I can still sing that Ladybug Picnic song. X)

Bud Luckey, y'say? That's cool... kinda like my Toy Story experience where the lamp showed up on the movie screen and I was thinking "Hah! I've seen that thing on Sesame Street!" I was 9, so that was all the Pixar exposure I'd ever had.

Even if "Boundin'" is is probably my least favorite of the Pixar shorts. *shrug* That still makes me grin.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 29th, 2007, 3:03 am

Animated Reading Rainbow opening!!! :)

It's actually what most likely got me to watch the show at the time, like, oh cool, look, cartoons!!! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » May 1st, 2007, 2:03 am

What a good show. I watched that all through my younger years... and the first time I saw Levar Burton on Star Trek it was more like "hey, it's the Reading Rainbow guy!" rather than the other way around, haha.

It never occurred to me exactly how "late '80s/early '90s" that music was, though. :P Gotta love it.
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ninja_otter/SKsignature.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 1st, 2007, 2:22 am

You know what's weird? I watched both at the time and it never even occurred to me that there was a connection between Geordi Leforge and Reading Rainbow until he did that "ST: TNG" thing on RR...:P

Must have been the visor I guess....:P :roll:

Yeah, RR was very much late 80s...one of my fave shows. :) Always on at 5:00 if I remember correctly. :wink:

BTW, here's early stop-motion at Sesame Street!! They were one of the first to really expose a wide audience to it....:)

If this doesn't make you smile, nothing will!! J/K :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 1st, 2007, 7:01 am

ShyViolet wrote:BTW, here's early stop-motion at Sesame Street!! They were one of the first to really expose a wide audience to it....:)
When you say "it", do you mean stop-motion?

I guess all those films by George Pal and Ray Harryhausen really <I>were</I> for nothing!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 1st, 2007, 2:23 pm

Uh....disregard!! :wink: :oops:

(Well, by stop-motion I meant on its own terms, without other live action stuff going on, just the characters....but I could also be wrong about that.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 1st, 2007, 3:36 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Uh....disregard!! :wink: :oops:

(Well, by stop-motion I meant on its own terms, without other live action stuff going on, just the characters....but I could also be wrong about that.)
Ben (repeating it again for Vi!) wrote:I guess all those films by George Pal and Ray Harryhausen really <I>were</I> for nothing!
;)

Pal did a <I>terrific</I> series of shorts as far back as in the 1930s and Harryhausen did a fair few himself before going into Jason and Sinbad territory. :)