The Sopranos

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Sopranos

Post by ShyViolet » June 11th, 2007, 2:03 pm

*SPOLIERS*

Did anyone see the series finale, and if so, what did you think?

At first I was like "Huh?" but then the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. Chase knows we're expecting neat resolution and he purposely didn't give us that. Actually, I felt the "darkness" or black screen was in itself a resolution. Things are not good at all, and they're only going to get worse for Tony and his whole family. There's no need to "see" it--we already know.

Tony might very well either get "clipped" or more likely get indited as his lawyer said earlier. Rather than escape his world and become a pediatrician, Meadow seems to be embracing it and wanting to work as a lawyer defending people in Tony's circle.

AJ's strange conversion into some kind of libertarian/radical career is casually pushed aside (by him) when Tony offers him a job in the "film industry", (in other words, his world) it's more than obvious that AJ is almost a total narcissist and only takes up causes according to his whims; if he's offered an easy life, he'll take it.

And even Melfi dropping Tony as a patient somehow doesn't seem all that unexpected as you might think. I think we always knew that these things would all eventually happen in some form right from episode 1.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entert ... _the_.html
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by rebelrex » September 7th, 2007, 11:23 am

So, I'm probably the only one...but I STILL have yet to see this ep.!!?

I was just going to watch it at my friend's on his on-demand...just so I could "see" it...but decided that it wasn't worth it, since I missed more than a few shows the last season...hadn't watched since the camping trip...like ep. 2!!?!

It got kinda slow!!?!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » September 7th, 2007, 11:37 am

Don't feel bad, rex. Believe it or not, I've never seen a single episode of The Sopranos and don't really know that much about it and you know what? I don't feel like I've missed anything. Maybe I'll see it someday and maybe I won't but it's not very high on my list of priorities. I've never seen an episode of Friends either. In the scheme of things does it really matter?
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 7th, 2007, 8:15 pm

I generally agree with that line of thinking on most stuff--many "must see" films as well as TV shows OFTEN end up not being worth half the trouble and are pretty much 80 % hype, 15% "meh" and maybe 5% "must-see." :roll: :wink: (I still haven't seen The Matrix, :oops: although I'm sure it's good. :) )

It's hard to explain exactly, but The Sopranos is in a different class. I watched the first three seasons religiously, then season 4 on and off, 5 and 6 pretty sporadically, but I'm still a gigantic fan of the series. The writing is as deep, multi-layered and profound as any Oscar-winning film--probably more so. I don't say that lightly. It just does not compare to anything else on television, as well as a huge fraction of Hollywood films.

( I realize it's not everybody's cup of tea....:wink: )
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The Sopranos

Post by ShyViolet » June 20th, 2013, 6:04 pm

OMG. :shock:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/19/showbiz/j ... ?c=&page=0

RIP James Gandolfini....such a great actor.

Very, very sad. :( :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 21st, 2013, 12:22 am

It's sad to see him go, but... not too shocking. He had a physique that put him at high risk for a cardiac arrest. (Sorry, I work in health care, and we tend to spot those things.) I never watched The Sopranos, but from clips I've seen, and possibly a movie or two with him in them, he did seem to be a talented actor.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by selina » April 11th, 2015, 6:50 am

This seems to be the thread for this (the only other mention was in a San Diego Comic Con thread).

Great to see this is out. First two episodes were good. Doesn't have the group dynamic yet but I suspect that is in the works. I'm enjoying the new setting just for the fact it is different but it sounds like the series will be set in Republic City which may grow tired over time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 6th, 2022, 4:40 pm

Oh my God so sad…can’t believe Peter Bogdanovich is gone…. :cry: :cry: :cry:

(He played Melfi’s jerk psychologist. Did such a great job.)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235070769/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 6th, 2022, 5:32 pm

Sad to hear. Love Targets and What's Up, Doc?.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 6th, 2022, 7:55 pm

So sad about this. Apart from his own films, he was just such a great champion of film in general, and the golden age in particular, hence some of his films, legendary interviews and more recent documentaries on films and filmmakers.

Wow, I haven’t thought about Targets in years! But What’s Up, Doc? is often referred to here, Steve!

RIP.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 6th, 2022, 11:43 pm

I hadn't realized he had already passed 80 years of age. A true loss to cinephiles, for many reasons.