Animated Views Admin

Re: The Simpsons

Postby Randall » January 13th, 2016, 10:08 pm

Pretty awesome. So. Many. References.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Postby ShyViolet » October 12th, 2016, 11:35 am

Pretty cool deconstruction of "villain" Hank Scorpio from "You Only Move Twice." Also tidbits on Simpson writers plus how the episode holds up today. (Very well!) :)

https://theringer.com/the-simpsons-char ... .bf8w07wof

Weird I always thought Cypress Creek was supposed to be the Disney town Celebration. (It doesn't exist anymore.). Oh well. :roll:

Very good insight:

"The hideously extreme gentrification fantasy feels less far-fetched in 2016 than it did in 1996. In late August, Bloomberg reported that the median home value in Palo Alto had surged to $2.5 million. Three weeks prior to that, a city housing commissioner resigned and moved out because she could no longer afford to raise her family there."
"It is written among the limitless constellations of the celestial heavens, and in the depths of the emerald seas....the world which we see is an outward and visible dream of an inward and invisible reality."

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby Ben » October 12th, 2016, 12:51 pm

Celebration is no more? That's a bit of a shame...they only just did a documentary about the folks living there a few years back.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Postby ShyViolet » October 12th, 2016, 12:53 pm

I thought I read a long time ago that it was gone. I could be wrong, though.
"It is written among the limitless constellations of the celestial heavens, and in the depths of the emerald seas....the world which we see is an outward and visible dream of an inward and invisible reality."

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby Randall » October 12th, 2016, 10:29 pm

My friend Alfie still lives in Celebration, where I visited him 4 years ago. However, Disney no longer controls the town to the extent that they once did, having ceded control to other developers. They do still provide some services, though.

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby James » October 19th, 2016, 8:35 am

Yes, Celebration is still there -- just got back from the area and saw it there! As Randall says, it's basically just a regular town now. However, Disney is working on Celebration 2.0:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/a ... story.html

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Postby EricJ » October 19th, 2016, 2:15 pm

James wrote:However, Disney is working on Celebration 2.0:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/a ... story.html

Golden Oaks isn't a "town" (like Celebration was Disney trying to cash in on Kissimee's town-next-door business during their Millennium celebrations), it's just a bit of land-development on property that Disney thought they could sell to ultra-upscale consumers who might show off "moving to Disney" anyway.
Sort of like a permanent Vacation Club timeshare, and only slightly more expensive.

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby James » October 19th, 2016, 7:53 pm

Yep, that's why I called it Celebration 2.0 -- or the next iteration of the idea.